Losman questions welcomed

Big Easy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, so if you were reading in your local newspaper about a particular company you were thinking about investing in, would like to know befoer you read it is the writer had money already invested in that company? Ah yes, ignorance is bliss.

243662[/snapback]

That is fair to a point, but are any of us objective? I would hope a fan can give an objective answer to a question.

For example you can be a Bledsoe fan and still think it is best that he move on.

You can be a JP fan, and think it was wrong to announce he would be the starter next year, when he has not made it through one camp without injury.

Doesn't matter. Big Easy is giving us the Big Chill! :doh:

That is fair to a point, but are any of us objective? I would hope a fan can give an objective answer to a question.

For example you can be a Bledsoe fan and still think it is best that he move on.

You can be a JP fan, and think it was wrong to announce he would be the starter next year, when he has not made it through one camp without injury.

Doesn't matter. Big Easy is giving us the Big Chill!  :doh:

243692[/snapback]

That too is fair, but I don't know if a guy who met Drew a few times might be as likely to tell us that he cannot complete screen pass to save his life.

Hmm, so if you were reading in your local newspaper about a particular company you were thinking about investing in, would like to know befoer you read it is the writer had money already invested in that company? Ah yes, ignorance is bliss.

243662[/snapback]

That might be the stupidest analogy I have ever heard. This guy isn't the GM you know. The fact that you need to know if he’s a “fan” shows that you lack all ability to make an objective evaluation of any comments he might provide. If I was reading an article about a potential investment, it would only be for awareness purposes; I invest based on my own research. Only an idiot would be make an investment based on the author’s POV. Good thing you aren’t in charge of my portfolio! :doh:

Ignorance indeed.

Absolutely. I wouldn't want him to come to this board and see that 3/4 of the posts were  incredibly about our former quarterback.

243697[/snapback]

My new nickname for JP is going to be Particularly...as in "particularly JP"

Labatt Blue: At one time I had a few of his games on tape, but not any more. I have a young daughter who, for one brief week of her life, enjoyed taping "Rug Rats" using my marked game tapes.

Scribo--good question. I'm a Tulane fan first and foremost, so I pull hard for the handful of guys we've sent to the pros. I'm also Southern born and bred, and from an "old school" sports culture--yes sir, no sir, keep your mouth shut, play hard. I liked Patrick Ramsey personally more than JP because we came from similar stock. But I will say that I liked JP a lot more as a senior than I did as a freshman. He grows on you.

Matty--coaching will be key. He has great faith in his legs and did, in my opinion, give up on plays and run too soon--though less so as he gained experience. If I was designing plays, at least during the first season he starts, I'd put in a lot of rollouts and bootlegs where he has a run-pass option, and only has to read half the field.

Joe--greatest strengths would be arm strength, mobility, deep balls, competitiveness, leadership, ability to bond with teammates of all stripes. Greatest weaknesses would be impatience, trying to make the big play when the safe one is available, the "indestructo" mentality that causes him to try and run over tacklers (worked in college, won't work up there), and inconsistent poise from the pocket. I can't answer your last question except to say that he improved in that area year-by-year and his coaching will be paramount in solving the speed of the NFL game.

Piz--some of his teammates were probably bothered by the brashness when he showed up. By the end they all loved him. He seems to really understand the "modern" athlete, and seemed to move easily between white and black teammates. They all eventually seemed to get attached to him and they liked the aggressive identity he gave them. Fans had much more of an issue adjusting to the Cali style than the players did, to be honest. We have to remind ourselves that the game isn't played by 40 year old fans, and that if the team likes his style, we should too.

Will try to get to some others later.

Labatt Blue:  At one time I had a few of his games on tape, but not any more.  I have a young daughter who, for one brief week of her life, enjoyed taping "Rug Rats" using my marked game tapes.

Scribo--good question.  I'm a Tulane fan first and foremost, so I pull hard for the handful of guys we've sent to the pros.  I'm also Southern born and bred, and from an "old school" sports culture--yes sir, no sir, keep your mouth shut, play hard.  I liked Patrick Ramsey personally more than JP because we came from similar stock.  But I will say that I liked JP a lot more as a senior than I did as a freshman.  He grows on you.

Matty--coaching will be key.  He has great faith in his legs and did, in my opinion, give up on plays and run too soon--though less so as he gained experience.  If I was designing plays, at least during the first season he starts, I'd put in a lot of rollouts and bootlegs where he has a run-pass option, and only has to read half the field.

Joe--greatest strengths would be arm strength, mobility, deep balls, competitiveness, leadership, ability to bond with teammates of all stripes.  Greatest weaknesses would be impatience, trying to make the big play when the safe one is available, the "indestructo" mentality that causes him to try and run over tacklers (worked in college, won't work up there), and inconsistent poise from the pocket.  I can't answer your last question except to say that he improved in that area year-by-year and his coaching will be paramount in solving the speed of the NFL game.

Piz--some of his teammates were probably bothered by the brashness when he showed up.  By the end they all loved him.  He seems to really understand the "modern" athlete, and seemed to move easily between white and black teammates.  They all eventually seemed to get attached to him and they liked the aggressive identity he gave them.  Fans had much more of an issue adjusting to the Cali style than the players did, to be honest.  We have to remind ourselves that the game isn't played by 40 year old fans, and that if the team likes his style, we should too.

Will try to get to some others later.

243711[/snapback]

Excellent stuff.....

OK...here is another one. You kind of hear conflicting reports when it comes to his passing.....

I keep hearing things like "he can thread the needle downfield"

Then you keep hearing that he is inaccurate.....has lousy mechanics....yada yada yada

Also....durability is a question since he got hurt his first year with us.....was he durable? I would have thought he would be REALLY durable given the pounding he took at Tulane but I haven't had a really good look at Losman

I saw most of JP's college games and met him a few times.  If anyone has any questions on his play, his style etc., I'd be happy to take a shot at answering them.

243613[/snapback]

Does he lock into his receiver or is he able to look one way and turn quickly & get the ball to a receiver on the other side of the field?

how about his accuracy? Can he hit a receiver on the run and in traffic, or is he going to be throwing bounce passes, high passes & behind the receiver passes?

I would love for him to be a Phil Simms / Tom Brady type precision passer.

Not saying I think he is equal to them or like them in any way,...I just want him to be accurate.

Joe--greatest strengths would be arm strength, mobility, deep balls, competitiveness, leadership, ability to bond with teammates of all stripes.  Greatest weaknesses would be impatience, trying to make the big play when the safe one is available, the "indestructo" mentality that causes him to try and run over tacklers (worked in college, won't work up there), and inconsistent poise from the pocket.  I can't answer your last question except to say that he improved in that area year-by-year and his coaching will be paramount in solving the speed of the NFL game.

Hey Big Easy, thanks for the 411 and welcome to the board.

I keep hearing about JP's deep ball and his downfield throwing ability, but what about his accuracy on the short-medium routes?

As ya know, we just released a guy who had a great downfield arm, but couldn't hit the side of a barn from within 15 feet. That caused a lot of problems when he was trying to beat the blitz. Just wondering how JP stacked up. Thanx.

Man, you guys are a tough crowd.

John--He throws a nice ball. Tight spiral, velocity, generally pretty accurate. His problems when they came were read problems. He's generally accurate when he's on time. He was a durable player in college, although he did play hurt a lot. He's the type of guy who sometimes likes to get up slow and limp a lot to show how tough he is, which I never particularly liked. But style points aside, he took a lot of licks and generally kept on playing.

LABillz--something fast-growing, with showy leaves, that occasionally drops a limb if the wind is hard enough.

Cajun Bills fan--the fact that you're a Tiger fan and can figure out how to log on to this or any site, and then spell once you get there, is a credit to you. Actually, I married a Tiger so I end up getting abused at home enough. Did you know we're ranked 1-2 in baseball this year? Should be some fun games.

Superhero--I suspect that early on, if his first read isn't there, he'll take off. By midseason, he'll be getting through two progressions. Forget about three until the following year. Having his type of feet is a blessing and a curse, when it comes to developing pocket presence.