Why no Clemson Wr pairing in 2014

Revisionist drafting is my favourite activity.

I see. We're never allowed to criticize a draft pick because "hindsight is 20/20"? Rubbish. The Bills obviously warched a TON of Clemson tape in 2014. Is it not fair to ask why they didn't pay sufficient attention to a guy like Bryant, whose talents are pretty hard to miss?

I see. We're never allowed to criticize a draft pick because "hindsight is 20/20"? Rubbish. The Bills obviously warched a TON of Clemson tape in 2014. Is it not fair to ask why they didn't pay sufficient attention to a guy like Bryant, whose talents are pretty hard to miss?

they had 5th round grade on him i guess. the cockrell pick 5ish picks ahead of Bryant should have been the play.

must have been scared off by character concerns.

Must have been some red flags on him, otherwise why would he fall to the 4th round?

Must have been some red flags on him, otherwise why would he fall to the 4th round?

He was a number 2 receiver in college, for obvious reasons, so he did not have a ton of targets. Still managed 20 YPC on 42 receptions.

they had 5th round grade on him i guess. the cockrell pick 5ish picks ahead of Bryant should have been the play.

Just like the 4th round grade Buddy pinned on Russell Wilson.

I was as bullish as they come on Martavis but let's not pretend that he was the finished article. He came with a ton of baggage and needed multiple years to hone his craft. He's still not the finished article now.

He fell because he was inconsistent, came out with limited tape and there were multiple questions about both his academic and football intelligence. I would've taken a shot on him but maybe that changes when my job is banking on guys like that.

Being critical after the fact in a league where development isn't a given is stupid.

Hindsight is for people who have regrets. Spending too much time on it is the reason you can't move forward. If you do this with every successful mid and late round pick evr you'll find that not only have our GMs missed on players but all have, time and time again. I would have passed on a guy with character flaws and intelligence questions, every time. See: Burfict, Vontaz; Jones, Adam. See my continual posts about intelligence over stupid, immature gifted players. Cinci just lost a game because of those players and you tend to lose with rosters full of them.

You seem to fail to recall this guy being called out by his QB this week and had 50 catches this season (3 more than Woods albeit with 200more yards). He's not exactly a consistent player. Ask any Steeler fan.

Anyone can pick winners after the draft. How about telling us who are the obvious hall of famers in the next draft?

The steelers have a lot of good players...shoulda drafted them too.

Agree. At least we weren't the 2004 poor sap NFL teams who passed on Big Ben for players like Robert Gallery, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, and Dunta Robinson.

Houston and Jags fates could have been insanely better.

Hindsight is for people who have regrets. Spending too much time on it is the reason you can't move forward. If you do this with every successful mid and late round pick evr you'll find that not only have our GMs missed on players but all have, time and time again. I would have passed on a guy with character flaws and intelligence questions, every time. See: Burfict, Vontaz; Jones, Adam. See my continual posts about intelligence over stupid, immature gifted players. Cinci just lost a game because of those players and you tend to lose with rosters full of them.

You seem to fail to recall this guy being called out by his QB this week and had 50 catches this season (3 more than Woods albeit with 200more yards). He's not exactly a consistent player. Ask any Steeler fan.

Oh man, called out by his QB and only 200 more yards as a #2? Not even worth it. Thank god Cockrell was there.

Anyone can pick winners after the draft. How about telling us who are the obvious hall of famers in the next draft?

Maybe the guy whose job it is to do that could.

Edited by FireChan

Oh man, called out by his QB and only 200 more yards as a #2? Not even worth it. Thank god Cockrell was there.

Maybe the guy whose job it is to do that could.

I think it's kind of a weak, convenient argument to look back at drafts and say "hey, we MISSED on this guy, because we picked this player who is a nobody, instead", and then say "hey, I'm no expert, I shouldn't be expected to pick talent out of the upcoming draft!!"

You can't have it both ways. If you want to evaluate past drafts and condemn the talent evaluators for missing on players, you should underatand the factors that went into NOT selecting the player. Was our roster already pretty well set at that position? Were there "character red flags" that pushed him down, or off our draft board altogether? Was their college production a short sample size, or against non-premium talent? Did they not receive a clean physical, and therefore got pushed down or off the board?

You can't condemn people who have a track record of finding talent if you don't know what went into the grading of that player, and then absolve yourself of having to decide, in advance, which players will be good simply because you don't have knowledge of this information.

You can't have it both ways.

I think it's kind of a weak, convenient argument to look back at drafts and say "hey, we MISSED on this guy, because we picked this player who is a nobody, instead", and then say "hey, I'm no expert, I shouldn't be expected to pick talent out of the upcoming draft!!"

You can't have it both ways. If you want to evaluate past drafts and condemn the talent evaluators for missing on players, you should underatand the factors that went into NOT selecting the player. Was our roster already pretty well set at that position? Were there "character red flags" that pushed him down, or off our draft board altogether? Was their college production a short sample size, or against non-premium talent? Did they not receive a clean physical, and therefore got pushed down or off the board?

You can't condemn people who have a track record of finding talent if you don't know what went into the grading of that player, and then absolve yourself of having to decide, in advance, which players will be good simply because you don't have knowledge of this information.

You can't have it both ways.

I absolutely can. It's not my job to do what Whaley does. If it was, I'd rightfully be blasted for not taking Bryant.

That Martavis Bryant "catch" wasn't a catch. If that was a catch, then so was Dez's last year. That ball was moving after that first foot hit

Not gonna say Dez's catch wasn't a catch but to say Bryant didn't catch the ball is lunacy. He secured it with his second hand while upside down then tucked it away perfectly.

Not gonna say Dez's catch wasn't a catch but to say Bryant didn't catch the ball is lunacy. He secured it with his second hand while upside down then tucked it away perfectly.

If it was not a catch, it should have been.