Stephon Gilmore: "I Know I’m an Elite Corner."

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's done that at least two times and really has to find a way to improve his tackling technique.

Agreed. And, he could of/should have hurt himself so many more times. He needs to change his technique for his own sake.

He can think that he is elite all he wants. Good confidence is what you expect out of a cb.

However, show me some probowls, before you pay him elite money.

Good point. I really like Gilmore, but, very solid point!!

I would try to trade Gilmore this year. Aim for a a high 2nd or low 1st. McKelvin is a solid #2 CB. I think it's a smart way to manage the cap. With Mario savings and Gilmore savings you can sign a top NT, Ss, and LB.

I would NEVER have considered this, but, if he wants north of $13 M a year I would start to consider this. I don't think any CB is worth more than $11 M. However, two things to consider. Rex needs great CBs. And, CBs career spans or at least elite status is a smaller window than almost any position.

I continue to believe that many folks that disagree on Gilmore being elite simply don't watch a lot of other corners play.

Everyone gets beat.

Everyone.

Every game.

What Gilmore brings with his blend of size and speed can't be taught. He's also becoming more aggressive and learning to dial in his leverages better.

My favorite thing about him is that he consistently seems to improve as the season progresses.

He's going to get a monster deal (think $11M-$12M per), and I hope it's here

I continue to believe that many folks that disagree on Gilmore being elite simply don't watch a lot of other corners play.

Everyone gets beat.

Everyone.

Every game.

What Gilmore brings with his blend of size and speed can't be taught. He's also becoming more aggressive and learning to dial in his leverages better.

My favorite thing about him is that he consistently seems to improve as the season progresses.

but bandit, aren't you aware of his madden rating? That's how NFL FOs determine who they sign to big contracts. /s

Everyone gets beat.

Everyone.

Every game.

But how many games has he won? Ha

But how many games has he won? Ha

Well, I don't know that if say he specifically "won" them, but the green bay (2014) and @NYJ (2015) games come to mind as ones in which he had huge performances.

I also think that you can look to the Oakland game last year and Washington game this year to see the enormous difference between having and not having him on the field.

Well, I don't know that if say he specifically "won" them, but the green bay (2014) and @NYJ (2015) games come to mind as ones in which he had huge performances.

I also think that you can look to the Oakland game last year and Washington game this year to see the enormous difference between having and not having him on the field.

while I don't use "games won" as criteria for thinking a CB is an elite player in the league, I would think Tennessee this year where he picked off mariota's last pass was huge. His performance vs the Giants was outstanding and they didn't win because the offense scored 10 - again why I don't use "games won"...

I agree that once he got hurt and the D went to philly and Washington it was obvious he would have been a huge help in the secondary. Plus Darby's "decline" (if you can call it that) coincided with him going out, as he then had more responsibility back there and had to match up with the #1 WR more often.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Everyone gets beat.

Everyone.

Every game.

i think you're one of the few guys posting here who has a feel for evaluating football coaches, players, and game play.. and you're right.. personally speaking, don't take notice of the consistencies - or inconsistencies - of other CBs around the league... but like most of us, i've been watching Gilmore from day one - and i don't see what you see.

i don't see him improving his technique/leverage skills enough to keep him from letting the receiver get where he wants to be - and i'm thinking that this is due to an undeveloped sense of anticipation. if he has the instincts to react to a route, maybe he still lacks the confidence to follow those instincts aggressively - regardless of how he perceives himself. you may have a keener eye than i, but if you think he's improving in this area, i have to ask.. where are the interceptions? he had 3 picks this season, 3 the year before, and 3 in total his first two seasons. there were 10 CBs with more than 3 this year, and 13 other CBs with 3. and although i understand that this stat has to be taken in context of scheme and 'targets', i do think its symptomatic of a player who either doesn't have great instincts - or doesn't trust them. i counted 17 CBs that defended less passes than Stephan this season - all with at least the same number of picks he had.

i agree that he has the physical tools to impose his will enough to raise his game. but i'd be concerned after 4 years, whether he can.

i think you're one of the few guys posting here who has a feel for evaluating football coaches, players, and game play.. and you're right.. personally speaking, don't take notice of the consistencies - or inconsistencies - of other CBs around the league... but like most of us, i've been watching Gilmore from day one - and i don't see what you see.

i don't see him improving his technique/leverage skills enough to keep him from letting the receiver get where he wants to be - and i'm thinking that this is due to an undeveloped sense of anticipation. if he has the instincts to react to a route, maybe he still lacks the confidence to follow those instincts aggressively - regardless of how he perceives himself. you may have a keener eye than i, but if you think he's improving in this area, i have to ask.. where are the interceptions? he had 3 picks this season, 3 the year before, and 3 in total his first two seasons. there were 10 CBs with more than 3 this year, and 13 other CBs with 3. and although i understand that this stat has to be taken in context of scheme and 'targets', i do think its symptomatic of a player who either doesn't have great instincts - or doesn't trust them. i counted 17 CBs that defended less passes than Stephan this season - all with at least the same number of picks he had.

i agree that he has the physical tools to impose his will enough to raise his game. but i'd be concerned after 4 years, whether he can.

I agree on the INTs for sure

To me, it looks like a comfort level thing with regard to anticipating plays. I also think he has lousy hands.

I would love to see the comparison of targets and QB rating allowed between Gilmore and other top CBs. I think it would shed a lot of light.

Also, I know for a fact that you know what you're watching out there, so I definitely respect your opinion of him.

Edited by thebandit27

I agree on the INTs for sure

To me, it looks like a comfort level thing with regard to anticipating plays. I also think he has lousy hands.

I would love to see the comparison of targets and QB rating allowed between Gilmore and other top CBs. I think it would shed a lot of light.

i prefer madden ratings and how many games each has won on their own tbh

Haha thanks, my comment was in jest.

The ones that are asked if they feel they're elite?

If you know Gilmore at all; he doesn't just volunteer that type of quote.

He was asked if he feels he's elite, and he answered.

Who asked him? It's not clear from that article he was responding to that question?