2016 Draft RB/FB thread

Beerball

So Derrick Henry could go as late as the 4th...hard to say he wouldn't be a damn good 4th round pick as security for Shady/Karlos. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up at the combine 10lbs lighter, kills the 40, and is then taken in round 2.

For me it isn't his speed it's his quickness. He doesn't get in the hole fast enough. Once he gets through it he is tough. With that being said I would be surprised if he was a good pro and I think that he has been a great college player.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it isn't his speed it's his quickness. He doesn't get in the hole fast enough. Once he gets through it he is tough. With that being said I would be surprised if he was a good pro and I think that he has been a great college player.

a lot of carries on those legs...

a lot of carries on those legs...

The top 5 running backs by the CBS rankings:

Ezekiel Elliott: 592 carries, 58 catches - 650 scrimmage plays.

Derrick Henry: 602 carries, 17 catches - 619 scrimmage plays.

Alex Collins: 665 carries, 27 catches - 692 scrimmage plays.

Kenneth Dixon: 802 carries, 87 catches - 889 scrimmage plays.

Devontae Booker: 560 carries, 80 catches - 640 scrimmage plays.

I feel the narrative is a little overblown. This message is brought to you by the Derrick Henry fan club.

The top 5 running backs by the CBS rankings:

Ezekiel Elliott: 592 carries, 58 catches - 650 scrimmage plays.

Derrick Henry: 602 carries, 17 catches - 619 scrimmage plays.

Alex Collins: 665 carries, 27 catches - 692 scrimmage plays.

Kenneth Dixon: 802 carries, 87 catches - 889 scrimmage plays.

Devontae Booker: 560 carries, 80 catches - 640 scrimmage plays.

I feel the narrative is a little overblown. This message is brought to you by the Derrick Henry fan club.

i wasn't comparing him to anyone else, just noting that he had a lot of carries this season. Didn't pay attention to last year much with Henry but I think they used Yeldon some?

Whereas a guy like Elliott, for example, has been the main workhorse for 2 years and played in every game (never hurt or suspended) , stands to reason his carries would be high. Of course, never high enough if you ask him. Or me.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i wasn't comparing him to anyone else, just noting that he had a lot of carries this season. Didn't pay attention to last year much with Henry but I think they used Yeldon some whereas a guy like Elliott has been the main workhorse for 2 years, stands to reason his carries would be high. Of course, never high enough if you ask him. Or me.

If there's a worry about RB usage, it should be the cumulative effect. To a certain degree, I think it's a myth at their age that college carries will adversely alter their productivity in the near future. You should get the guy you draft for the duration of his rookie deal at the very least.

Running back perception is just a pet peeve of mine. Johnathan Gray had 123 carries for Texas this year and tore his achilles prepping for the draft process but there's no narrative for that. The age/usage/productivity thing should be a 2nd contract worry.

If there's a worry about RB usage, it should be the cumulative effect. To a certain degree, I think it's a myth at their age that college carries will adversely alter their productivity in the near future. You should get the guy you draft for the duration of his rookie deal at the very least.

Running back perception is just a pet peeve of mine. Johnathan Gray had 123 carries for Texas this year and tore his achilles prepping for the draft process but there's no narrative for that. The age/usage/productivity thing should be a 2nd contract worry.

makes sense. I saw a mock with Zeke going to Colts. Great fit IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

@cfbfilmroom

Ezekiel Elliott allowed just 3 QB pressures in 108 pass block snaps last season, among the best rates we charted for RBs

RB Pass Block Success Rates

E.Elliott - 3 pressures allowed on 108 snaps

D.Henry - 12 pressures allowed on 110 snaps

Edited by YoloinOhio

The addition of James Wilder to this list makes me think the Bills won't be drafting a RB. I think you'll see at least one undrafted rookie brought in to compete with Gillislee.

It will be a McCoy type rather than a Karlos Williams type, and he will have good receiving skills, and a good jump cut. Johnathan Gray is a thought:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/johnathan-gray-vs-west-virginia-2014/

Brandon Ross of Maryland is the other one.

The addition of James Wilder to this list makes me think the Bills won't be drafting a RB. I think you'll see at least one undrafted rookie brought in to compete with Gillislee.

It will be a McCoy type rather than a Karlos Williams type, and he will have good receiving skills, and a good jump cut. Johnathan Gray is a thought:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/johnathan-gray-vs-west-virginia-2014/

Brandon Ross of Maryland is the other one.

where is Kenyan drake of Bama projected?

He is the guy I'd want but with so many holes it would be hard to justify taking another RB. From what iv read he had a bad week at the Senior Bowl, missed blocks and drops. He may slip to the back end of the draft and he would be tempting for sure.

He could assume return duties and be groomed into a 3rd a down back. I have seen comparisons to Reggie Bush and that is who I liken him too.

He is the guy I'd want but with so many holes it would be hard to justify taking another RB. From what iv read he had a bad week at the Senior Bowl, missed blocks and drops. He may slip to the back end of the draft and he would be tempting for sure.

He could assume return duties and be groomed into a 3rd a down back. I have seen comparisons to Reggie Bush and that is who I liken him too.

i wouldn't draft one before the 6th but wondering if we might get a UDFA or in the 7th (I know we don't have a 7th as it stands currently but we could end up with one with Dealer Doug). Another option is Kelvin Taylor from Florida. Very under the radar prospect but I like him (dad is Fred Taylor) Edited by YoloinOhio

i wouldn't draft one before the 6th but wondering if we might get a UDFA or in the 7th (I know we don't have a 7th as it stands currently but we could end up with one with Dealer Doug). Another option is Kelvin Taylor from Florida. Very under the radar prospect but I like him (dad is Fred Taylor)

I will look up Kelvin Taylor I didn't see much of Florida this year. Certainly has the blood lines, and I'm an SEC guy so I like him already lol.

I think K. Drake's game is going to translate to the NFL better than Henry's if we took him 5th/6th round I would be stoked. McCoy needs to be limited to keep him healthy and Karlos offers zero stability til proven otherwise. He runs high and hard and takes way to many shots to that big body.

We have him at #114, which is almost exactly our RD4 pick. http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-RBs-2016-Draft.asp

Which should be used for a tall WR or a playmaking WR.

Kelvin Taylor is Florida’s first 1,000-yard rusher since ...Mike Gillislee in 2012. They were tough yards, too. It doesn't take much of a hole for him to pop through.

Edited by Astrobot

I think

I'm curious how the NFL views Jordan Howard from Indiana. He's the kind of guy I would love if he finds himself on the board in the later rounds.

Chances are that he's taken where he'd have litte-to-no value to the Bills.

You have great taste. Jordan Howard's DraftTek's 6th-ranked RB, going RD4 #102. If we take a RB, it'll be a Preferred UDFA, and likely an injury that drops a quick RB off teams' boards.

I have Brandon Wilds in that category. Speed and run style of Forte before injury.

Another guy from a smaller school is Jacobi Green. Small dartting back. Speedy, balance, incredible change of direction impressive, shifty.

Jhurell Pressley is a consideration too.

https://youtu.be/jTmHsVygGvo

I think

You have great taste. Jordan Howard's DraftTek's 6th-ranked RB, going RD4 #102. If we take a RB, it'll be a Preferred UDFA, and likely an injury that drops a quick RB off teams' boards.

I have Brandon Wilds in that category. Speed and run style of Forte before injury.

Another guy from a smaller school is Jacobi Green. Small dartting back. Speedy, balance, incredible change of direction impressive, shifty.

Jhurell Pressley is a consideration too.

https://youtu.be/jTmHsVygGvo

Honestly, I liked Wilds more last year than Mike Davis. Not watched anything of SC this year but I could buy into Wilds.

Couple of other guys I've liked when I've watched them are Marteze Waller (Fresno St) & Paul James (Rutgers). The UDFA RB pool should be plentiful.

When this broke, I posted on my Original Buffalo Bills Fan Page on FB that this was now in play. A trade of McCoy to Oakland for a RD3 produced the following on DraftTek's Simulator:

1 19 Buffalo Ezekiel Elliott RBF Ohio St P1Grab +7 Value

2 49 Buffalo Darron Lee OLB43 Ohio St P2 +16 Value

3 75 Buffalo Germain Ifedi OT Texas A&M P1 +14 Value

3 80 Buffalo Anthony Zettel DE34 Penn State P2Grab +2 Value

4 114 Buffalo Dak Prescott QB Mississippi St P2 +10 Value

5 144 Buffalo Hassan Ridgeway DT34 Texas P2 -4 Reach

6 174 Buffalo Sean Davis FS Maryland P3 +3 Value