Reason for Travis Brown playing with the 1st team

LabattBlue

I believe that if he lays an egg in the next game or two and Losman continues to improve, that you may see the Bills cut Brown, make Losman #2 and bring in a journeyman at the vet minimum as your #3 prior to the season opener. I still don't know why Brown is brought back year after year?? What exactly has he done to warrant the repeated look in training camp after training camp?

PROVE ME WRONG TRAVIS!!!!!!!

I agree with starting Travis Brown tomorrow and see what he can do. Travis has shown some good signs here and there, I still believe the Bills would be better off showing patience with Losman and they need to find out, can Travis Brown manage the offense for a 2 week span or so if DB goes down or is totally ineffective?

Why cut TB to get an older vet.  Just keep him as the 3rd stringer.  Are you saying that the Bills should be nice and let him get his opportunities with another team, since he's young?

817[/snapback]

No. I am saying that he was not shown much of anything in multiple training camps and if he can't turn turn in some impressive performances in the next 3 games, chalk him up as camp fodder and move on.

This is totally blowing my mind.

Ok, no one wants Losman to start because it may hurt Bledsoes confidence... BUT, Losman is the only guy who has a legit chance of BEING the started at some point. Instead, you want to kill Bledsoe's confindence (which it shouldnt be too high anyway with his performance last year) and start a guy who will MAYBE stay on the roster as a backup?

wow - I've heard it all now .

Travis is Todd Collins. A nice backup to have just in case, but he will not lead the team. I have no problem with him being the #3, but I would be more comfortable with JP being #3 this season, and continuing to learn in the NFL. Bottom line, should Bledsoe get injuried, JP can still become the starting QB.

Travis is Todd Collins.  A nice backup to have just in case, but he will not lead the team.  I have no problem with him being the #3, but I would be more comfortable with JP being #3 this season, and continuing to learn in the NFL.  Bottom line, should Bledsoe get injuried, JP can still become the starting QB.

823[/snapback]

I could be wrong, but I thought the #2 QB in practices which lead up to a game gets significant reps, while the #3 sits there and runs the scout team mimicking the upcoming opponent. Which role would you rather see JP fill this year in preparation for 2005?

You don't need him to start and play bad to know that Travis is never going to be more than a backup. It's only a matter of time before JP is officially #2. They're keeping TB around probably because they see him as a future #2 to JP.

Wait, clear this up for me...I am behind.

Brown is starting tomorrow night? Or are you just saying he SHOULD start tomorrow night?

840[/snapback]

It was reported that he would see playing time with the first team. I believe DB still starts and plays 1 or 2 series.

I could be wrong, but I thought the #2 QB in practices which lead up to a game gets significant reps, while the #3 sits there and runs the scout team mimicking the upcoming opponent.  Which role would you rather see JP fill this year in preparation for 2005?

827[/snapback]

JP will probably be the 3rd QB on game day, but will take the snaps as the #2 during practice.

Unless Drew really craps the bed, it is unlikely he will ever be replaced, so the #2 QB on game day is really an emegency backup. If the game becomes a blowout either way, then the coaches cojld leapfrog Travis and put in JP for experience.

Ok, no one wants Losman to start because it may hurt Bledsoes confidence... BUT, Losman is the only guy who has a legit chance of BEING the started at some point. Instead, you want to kill Bledsoe's confindence (which it shouldnt be too high anyway with his performance last year) and start a guy who will MAYBE stay on the roster as a backup?

821[/snapback]

Holy stevestojan, that's a load of stevestojan, stevestojan! The Bills aren't NOT starting Losman because "it may hurt Bledsoe's confidence." Stop making stevestojan up.

TB can throw for 4 TDs and still everyone on this board would say he sucks! Why? Because he wasn't drafted in the first round. Because he's a backup. Because unless you are told a guy is good, he isn't good.

I hope Travis gets cut, gets picked up by another team, becomes the starter, and wins a Super Bowl. Then we'll see all the "I wanted TB to start for the Bills..." posts come out then.

I'll tell you this...right now, he's better than Bledsoe.

PTR

I believe that if he lays an egg in the next game or two and Losman continues to improve, that you may see the Bills cut Brown, make Losman #2 and bring in a journeyman at the vet minimum as your #3 prior to the season opener.  I still don't know why Brown is brought back year after year??  What exactly has he done to warrant the repeated look in training camp after training camp?

813[/snapback]

I havent seen anything from travis either to warrant him still being here I would rather still have doughboy pelt here :rolleyes:

It tells me that the coaches want to move JP up to #2 and need to throw Brown into a game situation to validate the move. Either he does poorly and the coaches feel better about dropping him to #3, or he excels and actually deserves to be #2.

I don't think Brown will be cut in any likely scenario.

I havent seen anything from travis either to warrant him still being here I would rather still have doughboy pelt here :rolleyes:

886[/snapback]

All hail the V-Gun. They've been talking about having Murph and Alex's commentary on instead of whatever 8th string teleplay we generally get at this bar McFadden's, where the new york city folks come to watch the Bills. I hope they do.

Holy stevestojan, that's a load of stevestojan, stevestojan!  The Bills aren't NOT starting Losman because "it may hurt Bledsoe's confidence."  Stop making stevestojan up.

859[/snapback]

Im not making it up.. thats what SEVERAL posters have said around here. grasping straws at finding a logical reason to keep Bledsoe in..

"if you bench him in preseason for a rookie, that would kill his confidence"

I didnt just grab that out the the sky, it has been said.

Im not making it up.. thats what SEVERAL posters have said around here. grasping straws at finding a logical reason to keep Bledsoe in..

"if you bench him in preseason for a rookie, that would kill his confidence"

I didnt just grab that out the the sky, it has been said.

911[/snapback]

I agree that's a pretty poor assessment. I think if the decision on a preseason starter is going to hurt Bledsoe's confidence we are in more trouble than we've ever bargained for.

I think the reason Bledsoe should be starting preseason games is, it's a new coach, a modified system, a suspect O-Line, and we should see how he operates under more than simulated game conditions. He should be facing the #1 guys on the opposing defense so we can test this system. And he should do really well handing it off for 80% of the plays, in my opinion :rolleyes:

I still don't know why Brown is brought back year after year??  What exactly has he done to warrant the repeated look in training camp after training camp?

813[/snapback]

That is what in NFL parlance is "Cheap Labor"....He probably gets the Vet minimum salary. We had Van Pelt hold the clip board for so long.. AVP did

not win many games for us when he started...How different is Travis Browns

situation than AVPs.

It was reported that he would see playing time with the first team.  I believe DB still starts and plays 1 or 2 series.

842[/snapback]

This somehow contradicts with what Bledsoe said yesterday about him and the 1st team staying on beyond the 1st qtr. If that were so, how would TB be with the 1st team.

Also, I think preseason games 2 and 3 is when the 1st team should spend max time on the field.....I think TB gets to start in game 4 of preseason.

I believe that if he lays an egg in the next game or two and Losman continues to improve, that you may see the Bills cut Brown, make Losman #2 and bring in a journeyman at the vet minimum as your #3 prior to the season opener.  I still don't know why Brown is brought back year after year??  What exactly has he done to warrant the repeated look in training camp after training camp?

813[/snapback]

I don't get it either. I hope your potential scenario is correct...

hate to wish any Bill bad luck, but I'd really prefer someone like a Shane Matthews on this team.

I don't get it either. I hope your potential scenario is correct...

hate to wish any Bill bad luck, but I'd really prefer someone like a Shane Matthews on this team.

1596[/snapback]

Me too. I've been touting him for a long time. He got stuck in the 'Skins Steve Spurrier QB-of-the-Week garbage season before last.

His numbers:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/4719

821[/snapback]

Yeah, I have to admit that this idea is every bit as bad as yours.

Two schools of thought:

1. Start Travis Brown because the Bills want to find out if he should be given serious consideration as a starter if Bledsoe falters.

2. Start Travis Brown because the Bills want to find out if he's worth carrying as a #2, or if it would make more sense to plug Losman into that role.

I really don't know what the Bills are thinking on this one. I will be very interested in seeing how things turn out though.

Archived