New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

• 3 weeks later...

It will cost $2 million to restore the Portland elk statue destroyed by Antifa in 2020

Portland-Elk-statue-730x0.jpg

The Portland Parks Foundation just released an estimate of how much it will cost to restore the statue known as the “Thompson Elk” which was donated to the city in 1900. The bottom line is about $2 million including money to make changes to the street.

The foundation says it expects restoration, a new pump, and reinstallation could cost between $1.2 million and $1.3 million, as well as an additional $670,000 for street improvements, bringing the total to about $2 million…

It is now waiting to find out how much insurance will cover and what the city can pitch in.

Why is this necessary? Because back in 2020, social justice protests associated with BLM/Antifa held nightly protests near the fountain. At first the damage was mostly cosmetic, i.e. spray paint on the statue and the base. But the mob gradually worked themselves up into using the base of the fountain as a place to set a bonfire. This video is from the night of Wednesday July 1, 2020.

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2022/10/04/it-will-cost-2-million-to-restore-the-portland-elk-statue-destroyed-by-antifa-in-2020-n500927

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

UNCANCELLED HISTORY: ROBERT E. LEE

Murray’s interview takes up the question of Lee and begins with the recent controversies over the statues depicting him. I think if you begin watching the video you are likely to continue to the end.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I WAS TOLD THIS WAS ONLY ABOUT CONFEDERATE GENERALS: 

Lincoln statue must go, article in Syracuse student newspaper argues. 

“The author writes that ‘the ironic placement of Lincoln, cradled by a school that values citizenship, ethics and justice to promote the public good, is indeed, contradictory.'”

https://www.campusreform.org/article?id=20712

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

I WAS TOLD THIS WAS ONLY ABOUT CONFEDERATE GENERALS: 

Lincoln statue must go, article in Syracuse student newspaper argues. 

“The author writes that ‘the ironic placement of Lincoln, cradled by a school that values citizenship, ethics and justice to promote the public good, is indeed, contradictory.'”

https://www.campusreform.org/article?id=20712

I'll leave this here..........again.

The past is a foreign place.  They do things differently there. 

This is just stupid and doesn't even deserve recognition. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I'll leave this here..........again.

The past is a foreign place.  They do things differently there. 

This is just stupid and doesn't even deserve recognition. 

The young are ignorant of time and history. The radical progressive pushing for change today may eventually be viewed as conservative tomorrow. And the conservatives of yesterday become viewed as the progressives today.

Your link references an article written by one student. I would hope that that doesn’t represent the majority of the student body. While I strongly disagree with the author, it’s  great we live in a country where a paper can publish an article such as that. 

1 minute ago, Andy1 said:

The young are ignorant of time and history. The radical progressive pushing for change today may eventually be viewed as conservative tomorrow. And the conservatives of yesterday become viewed as the progressives today.

Your link references an article written by one student. I would hope that that doesn’t represent the majority of the student body. While I strongly disagree with the author, it’s  great we live in a country where a paper can publish an article such as that. 

Well it wasn’t my link but why would the paper choose to publish such nonsense?  

46 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Well it wasn’t my link but why would the paper choose to publish such nonsense?  

The Daily Orange is the student newspaper. They would probably say they are a forum for all students to express their opinions. 

1 hour ago, Andy1 said:

The Daily Orange is the student newspaper. They would probably say they are a forum for all students to express their opinions. 

I guess it’s good to have the stupidity on full display for all to read.  I’d like to learn who put that crap in his head.  

For the "it's just a few people" crowd.

Here's What a Judge Told Philadelphia to Do With Its Columbus Statue

by Chris Queen

Christopher_Columbus_Monument_boxed_in_M

For over two years, the statue of Christopher Columbus in Philadelphia’s Marconi Plaza has sat inside a massive plywood box. As protests over the death of George Floyd and other racially tinged incidents roiled the nation, the city constructed a large box to cover the Columbus statue.

Mayor Jim Kenney, a Democrat (what a shock), wanted to get rid of the statue, ostensibly in the name of public safety, and started the ball rolling to remove the statue, which has been in place since 1876.

The city placed a notice on the statue that read:

Notice by City of Philadelphia: The Christopher Columbus statue has been a source of controversy in Philadelphia and areas across our country. Many are calling for the removal of the statue. The City understands their concerns and will be initiating a process for the Art Commission to review the statue, its location and its appropriateness in a public park. We are committed to listening to all and moving forward in the best way to heal our deep divides. The boxing is to preserve the statue while the Art Commission process is followed. No decision has been made on whether the City will remove the statue.

Last year, a judge struck down the mayor’s efforts to remove the statue completely, ruling that the city failed to make the case that the statue was a threat to the safety of the city and its residents. Yet the box continued to encase the statue.

But on Friday, a judge ordered the city to unbox the statue. Judge Mary Hannah Leavitt ruled that the city must remove the box, and if it wants to make comment on the statue, it should erect a plaque explaining its disapproval.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/chris-queen/2022/12/10/judge-orders-philadelphia-to-uncover-its-columbus-statue-n1652500

“More to the point, the City accepted the donation of the Columbus statue in 1876. It has a fiduciary duty to preserve that statue, which it designated an historic object in 2017. The Columbus statue is not City property as is, for example, a City snowblower,” Leavitt wrote.

As a result of the riots and rhetoric — “mostly peaceful,” of course — that tore the country apart in 2020, any historical figure that didn’t meet the approval of the woke mob became a target for cancellation or removal.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, B-Man said:

For the "it's just a few people" crowd.

Here's What a Judge Told Philadelphia to Do With Its Columbus Statue

by Chris Queen

Christopher_Columbus_Monument_boxed_in_M

For over two years, the statue of Christopher Columbus in Philadelphia’s Marconi Plaza has sat inside a massive plywood box. As protests over the death of George Floyd and other racially tinged incidents roiled the nation, the city constructed a large box to cover the Columbus statue.

Mayor Jim Kenney, a Democrat (what a shock), wanted to get rid of the statue, ostensibly in the name of public safety, and started the ball rolling to remove the statue, which has been in place since 1876.

The city placed a notice on the statue that read:

Notice by City of Philadelphia: The Christopher Columbus statue has been a source of controversy in Philadelphia and areas across our country. Many are calling for the removal of the statue. The City understands their concerns and will be initiating a process for the Art Commission to review the statue, its location and its appropriateness in a public park. We are committed to listening to all and moving forward in the best way to heal our deep divides. The boxing is to preserve the statue while the Art Commission process is followed. No decision has been made on whether the City will remove the statue.

Last year, a judge struck down the mayor’s efforts to remove the statue completely, ruling that the city failed to make the case that the statue was a threat to the safety of the city and its residents. Yet the box continued to encase the statue.

But on Friday, a judge ordered the city to unbox the statue. Judge Mary Hannah Leavitt ruled that the city must remove the box, and if it wants to make comment on the statue, it should erect a plaque explaining its disapproval.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/chris-queen/2022/12/10/judge-orders-philadelphia-to-uncover-its-columbus-statue-n1652500

“More to the point, the City accepted the donation of the Columbus statue in 1876. It has a fiduciary duty to preserve that statue, which it designated an historic object in 2017. The Columbus statue is not City property as is, for example, a City snowblower,” Leavitt wrote.

As a result of the riots and rhetoric — “mostly peaceful,” of course — that tore the country apart in 2020, any historical figure that didn’t meet the approval of the woke mob became a target for cancellation or removal.

That’s called tolerance on the left. Comply or else. Very tolerant cult.

• Agree 2