New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

People who revere traitors to the Union are anti-American, this is not a difficult concept 

The schools had their names changed back.

"We appreciate your dedication to our schools and the well-being of our students, Restoring these names would demonstrate a commitment to inclusivity, respect for history, and responsiveness to community feedback."

The group's letter stated Confederate Gens. Jackson and Lee, and Cmdr. Ashby have historical connections to Virginia and the commonwealth's history

18 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Absolute bull####.

But not surprising.

You are a clown, Richmond is a diverse city, totally against the racist idea of the Southern Confederacy

11 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

So I got 2 votes for kill all the Confederates.

Why should we glorify the defeated?

The Confederates lost, plain and simple.

This isn't about honoring heritage or preserving history; it's about perpetuating hate.

That's why the very same extremists who champion MAGA idolize Trump and all the other NAZIs who want to destroy America.

Patriots like Lincoln, Grant, and General Sherman secured our nation's future and prevented it from falling to insurrection.

It's up to those who stand on the right side of history, not those who whitewash the events of January 6, to ensure that future generations aren't condemned to live under a dictatorship.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, B-Man said:

The schools had their names changed back.

"We appreciate your dedication to our schools and the well-being of our students, Restoring these names would demonstrate a commitment to inclusivity, respect for history, and responsiveness to community feedback."

The group's letter stated Confederate Gens. Jackson and Lee, and Cmdr. Ashby have historical connections to Virginia and the commonwealth's history

How is adding the names of confederates, in any kind of way, representative of “inclusivity”

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

How is adding the names of confederates, in any kind of way, representative of “inclusivity”

I mean, it's inclusive of traitors...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

You are a clown, Richmond is a diverse city, totally against the racist idea of the Southern Confederacy

Sometimes I think you are just an idiot. (Well....All times).

Other times I am surprised by your idiocy, as in this post.

Richmond has absolutely nothing to do with this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I knew nothing other than cursory information regarding Stonewall Jackson and Lee.

Then I read the Shaara Trilogy, Gods and Generals, The Killer Angels and The Last Full Measure.

With the understanding that the USA at that time was a local/regional country far more than it was today, context is important.

While I wish the Confederate Generals would have sided with the North, the situation at the time cannot be judged by us, like the practice of "bleeding" that was done in medicine.

Times change. Judgements made must be sensitive to the times.

Now being aware of the "Union's" leadership, post Lincoln, which was U,S. Grant and Andrew Johnson, and considering a decision of who was more honorable, I know I'd go with Jackson and Lee.

Either way, the senseless renaming of schools and removing of statues has proven to do no good.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, sherpa said:

I knew nothing other than cursory information regarding Stonewall Jackson and Lee.

Then I read the Shaara Trilogy, Gods and Generals, The Killer Angels and The Last Full Measure.

With the understanding that the USA at that time was a local/regional country far more than it was today, context is important.

While I wish the Confederate Generals would have sided with the North, the situation at the time cannot be judged by us, like the practice of "bleeding" that was done in medicine.

Now being aware of the "Union's" leadership, post Lincoln, which was U,S. Grant and Andrew Johnson, and considering a decision of who was more honorable, I know I'd go with Jackson and Lee.

Either way, the senseless renaming of schools and removing of statues has proven to do no good.

Applying the standards of today to the past is a fool’s errand, yet it doesn’t stop lots of people from doing so.  

It is interesting, however, that many of the same people fixated on society 100+ years ago doing so had no hesitation in casting a vote for a, say Hillary Clinton and her declaration that tens of millions of citizens were both deplorable and irredeemable simply because they disagreed with her vision for the country.    It’s fair to wonder which side of justice those people would have fallen on back in the day.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, sherpa said:

I had an ancestor die charging the stone wall at Fredericksburg. He died fighting for the United States of America.

Virginia enjoys pissing on his sacrifice. Which is of course their prerogative. It's their school system. I have no idea why cherishing these traitors is important to them.

Oh and Grant crushed Robert E Lee. He won ugly. But he won and we have a country because of it

Edited by Coffeesforclosers
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Virginia enjoys pissing on his sacrifice. 

Virginia is nothing like that, and sorry for your ancestor's sacrifice.

• Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

I had an ancestor die charging the stone wall at Fredericksburg. He died fighting for the United States of America.

Virginia enjoys pissing on his sacrifice. Which is of course their prerogative. It's their school system. I have no idea why cherishing these traitors is important to them.

Oh and Grant crushed Robert E Lee. He won ugly. But he won and we have a country because of it

Many southerners I have met explain it like this - they set the huge race issues aside (typically thru the eye of how the world viewed slavery in 1860) and talk about the unfair tariffs at that time & states rights vs. federal rights.  They also lost almost the same number of ancestors (60/40).  So they view the naming of a couple of the rebel leaders that retained their dignity (notice Jefferson Davis isn't named for sh*t) as a way to retain their rebelliousness.  A reminder that they'll go along, but do need to their viewpoint be heard.  Like it or not, it's become their regional identity.  Undoing that slowly drives that old wedge back into place.

21 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

Many southerners I have met explain it like this - they set the huge race issues aside (typically thru the eye of how the world viewed slavery in 1860) and talk about the unfair tariffs at that time & states rights vs. federal rights.  They also lost almost the same number of ancestors (60/40).  So they view the naming of a couple of the rebel leaders that retained their dignity (notice Jefferson Davis isn't named for sh*t) as a way to retain their rebelliousness.  A reminder that they'll go along, but do need to their viewpoint be heard.  Like it or not, it's become their regional identity.  Undoing that slowly drives that old wedge back into place.

List of Memorials to Jefferson Davis

1 hour ago, ScotSHO said:

Sounds fine to me if that's how it works and it's what folks believe.

But it also hinges on Northerners and Midwesterners not caring about it nearly as much as they do.

I used to volunteer at the NYS Military Museum. We've got a nice rack of captured Confederate battle flags. Every so often,  southern gentlemen will angrily demand their return. Every time, we'd tell them to kick rocks. Courteously of course.

But if you look at all the civil war memorials that dot the old towns in New York and elsewhere...those folks bitterly mourned their men that died winning "The War of the Rebellion".  Nowadays their opinion doesn't seem to matter as much as bruised Southern egos, but I guess that's a price we have to pay for a unified country.

On 5/10/2024 at 4:12 PM, sherpa said:

Sometimes I think you are just an idiot. (Well....All times).

Other times I am surprised by your idiocy, as in this post.

Richmond has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Uninformed as usual. Just clueless you are