Pettine: "Wilson not top tier."

Big Blitz

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't think it was smart for Pettine to say this, I'm one of the few that agrees with him. Wilson's a solid QB who benefits from a great defense, great running game, and good O-line. But top tier, as in Brady, Rodgers, Manning (in his prime)? I would agree that Wilson is not in that category. At least not yet.

You just gave ypurself away as someone who has never seen the Seahawks play. Good o-line? Wilson, a mobile QB has been sacked 39 times. He's constantly running for his life. Great running game? Wilson is the team's second leading rusher. The legendary Thomas Rawls is their leader in that category.

Wilson, right now, is playing at an elite level.

Whatever, Wilson is terrific. I loved him coming out of college & could not believe the Bills did not grab him when they traded up in the third instead taking Graham. I nearly almost cried when that pick was announce because I knew Wilson had a real chance to be something special. It is almost like he doesn't get the credit because he does not fit that prototypical style QB. He is not 6-3, he is not 240 pounds but the guy knows how to play. In pregame warmups I seen Wilson do a drill that I never seen before. He stood at the 35 yard line & had a receiver stand at the one corner of the endzone with his back to Wilson & his hands stretched out to catch the ball. Wilson hit the guys hands for the catch without the receiver moving his hands on all five of his throws. That is how accurate this guy is.

I'm in your camp and I had the exact same reaction during the draft. I think Wilson is amazing and continues to be criminally underrated. The idea the Seahawks could just roll whatever QB out and keep on rolling is ridiculous, you can't put a guy like EJ out there and realistically think he's getting anywhere near the Super Bowl. There's a reason they can go from Marshawn Lynch to Thomas Rawls without missing a beat and it's not the oline (which is awful). Wilson is killer in the zone read game (almost always makes the right call and almost never takes a hit) and throws one of the best deep balls in the game. Due to his physical statue, he's always going to get doubted but he just keeps proving doubters wrong.

Let Wilson and Newton finish another year at the pace they're setting and begin another and we can talk.

Otherwise, Wilson will be right there in limbo with Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan.

Joe Flacco and Eli Manning are possibly better QB's than Newton and Wilson because they have the rings and poise. Both have taken their teams and carried them on their backs in the playoffs when it matters. Wilson has scratched that surface, Newton has not.

Brees is no longer elite. Peyton Manning, the same.

Andrew Luck I just have no earthly idea about.

Elite right now is Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brady.

I'd love to say that Carson Palmer is elite but I just cannot.

Pettine shouldnt comment on other people's QBs, but he isnt wrong. Wilson on his own is not in the "elite" category.

curious if you agree with my above statements.

Edited by Boyst62

Let Wilson and Newton finish another year at the pace they're setting and begin another and we can talk.

Otherwise, Wilson will be right there in limbo with Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan.

Joe Flacco and Eli Manning are possibly better QB's than Newton and Wilson because they have the rings and poise. Both have taken their teams and carried them on their backs in the playoffs when it matters. Wilson has scratched that surface, Newton has not.

I agree pretty much entirely. I think Wilson has got better every year, he is taking steps... and the Seahawks transition from a great team with a good Quarterback to a good team with a great Quarterback is on track, but he is not elite yet - elite is those 3 guys you mentioned.

So Pettine didn't go to the Lou Holtz school of press conferences. This is way overblown by the media. How dare he say anything interesting? Why even have press conferences? Just say the same thing in the box of boring every week. I'm not the world's biggest Pettine fan but why is he being criticized for being honest (while still praising him immensely) and saying what is pretty much the general consensus? I think Wilson is a really good QB but he had some bad games this year, and is still in process of proving himself among the guys he mentioned in the "top tier" who are HEADED TO THE HOF for the love of god.

Spot on. Agreed on basically every point about every QB.

I personally think that, in a vacuum, Cam is the much better choice for QB than Wilson. But I think both could be part of the "new guard".

I'd also say that Wilson's team has helped him scratch that surface, while Cam is carrying a lot of weight on his back (offensively) during their run this year.

But your post is a pretty accurate and fair assessment of all the QBs. :thumbsup:

Spot on. Agreed on basically every point about every QB.

I personally think that, in a vacuum, Cam is the much better choice for QB than Wilson. But I think both could be part of the "new guard".

I'd also say that Wilson's team has helped him scratch that surface, while Cam is carrying a lot of weight on his back (offensively) during their run this year.

But your post is a pretty accurate and fair assessment of all the QBs. :thumbsup:

I'd say Wilson is carrying as much, if not more weight, this year. Cam has a top OL. Wilson's is one of the worst. Wilson has been playing with backup RB's all year. The receiving crews are pretty much even, and that's without Benjamin. Olson is a great and Graham was pretty much useless in their system since he's not an every down TE.

Edit: Defensively, they are even.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

I'd say Wilson is carrying as much, if not more weight, this year. Cam has a top OL. Wilson's is one of the worst. Wilson has been playing with backup RB's all year. The receiving crews are pretty much even, and that's without Benjamin. Olson is a great and Graham was pretty much useless in their system since he's not an every down TE.

Edit: Defensively, they are even.

Carolina's WR's are perfect for their system. Funchess was an extra toy, Ginn is the over the top, blow the coverage out, Cotchery is a solid possession physical catcher, and Brown is an ideal #2. Funchess needs some years to polish up and will benefit with Benjamin back who, to me, is more of a #2 than a #1 due to his skillset and ability - the two of them will make a great duo.

Plus, you have Olsen. If not for Gronkowski, Olsen would be considered the best TE in the league for the last 3 years +.

Johnathan Stewart is very damn good, too. They have Whitaker and Artis-Payne who are also very skilled for changing up the pace but do not see the field with so many WR's.

The Carolina D plays better than the more talented Seattle D.

Carolina's WR's are perfect for their system. Funchess was an extra toy, Ginn is the over the top, blow the coverage out, Cotchery is a solid possession physical catcher, and Brown is an ideal #2. Funchess needs some years to polish up and will benefit with Benjamin back who, to me, is more of a #2 than a #1 due to his skillset and ability - the two of them will make a great duo.

Plus, you have Olsen. If not for Gronkowski, Olsen would be considered the best TE in the league for the last 3 years +.

Johnathan Stewart is very damn good, too. They have Whitaker and Artis-Payne who are also very skilled for changing up the pace but do not see the field with so many WR's.

The Carolina D plays better than the more talented Seattle D.

Completely agree on Olson. I thought Funchessv would be better than he has been, but he's been looking better lately.

Completely agree on Olson. I thought Funchessv would be better than he has been, but he's been looking better lately.

Funchess was always a project and reminds me a lot of Ginn, just bigger. Funchess might not ever get beyond a #3, but he's going to be able to add a lot to the field even if he doesn't directly make the play; this is why I wanted him in Buffalo.

This is kind of a non story, beyond that it involves more buffoonery from the factory of sadness in Cleveland. If you look at all that Pettine said, he was largely complimentary of Wilson, and merely said he was not a transcendent talent like Brady yet.

The coach of a 3-10 team with a headcase for a quarterback which, by the way, won't even be in the league in three years, calling a dude whose led his team to two consecutive superbowls (and won one) "not top tier". Seems logical...

I'm sure Russell Wilson will be more than happy to prove Mike Pettine wrong on Sunday.AT HOME..

The coach of a 3-10 team with a headcase for a quarterback which, by the way, won't even be in the league in three years, calling a dude whose led his team to two consecutive superbowls (and won one) "not top tier". Seems logical...

I'm sure Russell Wilson will be more than happy to prove Mike Pettine wrong on Sunday.AT HOME..

taking it to the Brownies at home won't really prove anything -lol- but I know what you mean.

that this actually got traction still boggles me.

it's not like what he said was wrong. he was correct.

sure, he didn't have to say it but there is no reason not to say it.

i'm sure even he knows he is a major underdog

his team and his teams success has nothing to do with his failings. that organization is crap.