POLL: Fire Rex and/or Whaley?

dtgolder

Should we fire Rex and Whaley?  

359 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Pegulas release Rex and/or Whaley?

• Fire Rex now; keep Whaley
    • Fire Whaley now; keep Rex
    • Fire both Rex and Whaley
    • Keep both Rex and Whaley

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are rumors going around that Sean Peyton might leave the Saints after this season. If it happens and I'm Pegula a I would jump at the chance and sign Peyton. I'd give Rex his pink slip and tell him to take Whaley with him. Whaley was a Buddy Nix pupil and it shows. If it wasn't for Nix's bonehead decisions the Bills would already have their franchise quarterback.

Buddy Nix was the worst GM in Bills history except for maybe Marv Levy. Between Marv and Nix they set this team back 5 years. I can't blame Levy he was a coach NOT a qualified GM. I blame that on Ralph (the loser) Wilson. Wilson didn't know any better because he lacked football smarts. Wilson was a nice guy but he was ratard as far as understanding how to run a football team. In fact I kept telling everyone as long as Wilson owns the Bills they will NEVER win a super bowl, and boy was I right!!!

Rex's schemes don't work in this modern day era. The game has past him by. If I was Pegula I would have Rex join his brother in the unemployment line. Both of them are HAS BEENS. Their father's schemes worked 40 years ago but those days are long gone. The game is completely different than when Buddy Ryan coached.

I don't think you understand the Buffalo cap situation. They are in good shape next year and moving forward.

LOL!

You do understand they have to cut quite a few players first (take on a lot of dead money) to get in a decent cap situation right?

...and those players have to be replaced.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

LOL!

You do understand they have to cut quite a few players to get in good cap situation right?

...and those players have to be replaced.

Not really. They can restructure or cut ONE player and be fine. His name is Mario. They can also restructure Clay who has a big cap hit because of the need to make Miami not match.

I don't think you understand the Buffalo cap situation. They are in good shape next year and moving forward.

Yeah, they are. People look at the number but don't realize how many easy way the Bills have to clear upwards of $40 million in cap space. I posted a long thread about this a while back. It consisted of cutting a few players(McKelvin was one I know), restructuring Clay's workout bonus to a signing bonus, restructuring Mario Williams, and a few other easy moves. Bills will be perfectly fine with 40-50 million in cap space when you account for the big jump there is going to be as well...

But, it's easier to listen to the media or look at a site listing the cap numbers without any concept of how misleading those numbers are due to them already having a gameplan as to what they are going to do to clear up cap space than it is to actually delve into the situation a little closer and take a good look.

Not really. They can restructure or cut ONE player and be fine. His name is Mario. They can also restructure Clay who has a big cap hit because of the need to make Miami not match.

They need al ot more than a few million to clear up.

Why would you re-structure Mario? That makes no sense. The only option is cutting him. How much do you expect to clear up from Clay? It is still not enough. You are still missing quite a few players you still have to make decisions on to get in a decent cap position.

Yeah, they are. People look at the number but don't realize how many easy way the Bills have to clear upwards of $40 million in cap space. I posted a long thread about this a while back. It consisted of cutting a few players(McKelvin was one I know), restructuring Clay's workout bonus to a signing bonus, restructuring Mario Williams, and a few other easy moves. Bills will be perfectly fine with 40-50 million in cap space when you account for the big jump there is going to be as well...

But, it's easier to listen to the media or look at a site listing the cap numbers without any concept of how misleading those numbers are due to them already having a gameplan as to what they are going to do to clear up cap space than it is to actually delve into the situation a little closer and take a good look.

Good post.

Buffalo far better than say Miami who has committed big money to Tannehill. That is a team that will have a hard time.

And I believe if they sign Tyrod to an extension his cap hit only begins after next year. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Edited by jeffismagic

Rex's schemes don't work in this modern day era. The game has past him by. If I was Pegula I would have Rex join his brother in the unemployment line. Both of them are HAS BEENS. Their father's schemes worked 40 years ago but those days are long gone. The game is completely different than when Buddy Ryan coached.

Dude, this is the dumbest post I've read in a while. His schemes don't work in the modern NFL? So what, the "modern NFL" consists of the 2015 season? Cause that's the only season his defense wasn't in the top 10 in the NFL. OK...you got me...they were 11th once with the Jets, but across the board other than that year and this year his defenses have been in the top 10, mostly top 5. I'd say 1/4 is players not comfortable in the scheme, 1/4 is players not buying into the scheme fully, and 1/2 is Rex doesn't have exactly the players he needs...I'd expect some changes on the D this offseason to get more of what Rex wants.

Edited by matter2003

I've been over Rex for quite a while, given the lack of character of this team and the penalties. I think Whaley also has made some poor decisions.

I'm ready to cut bait on both and start over...not sure who is out there now, or who might be available after the end of the season, but for me the team is definitely headed in the wrong direction.

Anyone else ready to dump Rex and crew? Would love to hear opinions, and who else might be out there that could help.

Just hate to see us squandering the talent that is on this team with a coach and GM that can't cut the mustard.

Boy that honeymoon didn't last long !

The GM was the one that assembled this team that you call so talented . If the coaches can't get the talent to play well because of the scheme they are employing how can it be the GM's fault ?

Yes i am a bit pissed at Rex because of his ego thinking that he can take a top 4 defense & make it better by changing everything there is to change about it .

On the other hand this is TT's first season behind the wheel of a new O & with all the motions & things that G/Ro does not to mention the timing of a new QB with his receivers , it doesn't just magically fall together !

The Bengals have been decent since Dalton got there but it finally looks like he has got it coming together & that only took what 4 years ?

I hate it that the Bills aren't as good as we thought but give it more than 13 games , heck they at least gave EJ 16 games to decide he stinks !!

Bills will never have 40-50 million in cap space next year.

helI don't think you understand the Buffalo cap situation. They are in good shape next year and moving forward.

Man dude you're way off base. You sure you're not high on something? They might not even be able to retain their own free agents let alone go out get some from other teams! They have Cordy Glenn, Rich Cognito, Percy Harvin, and linebacker Nigel Bradham becoming free agents just to name a few. And they aren't very far below the cap already.

The penalty epidemic is enough for me alone to say FIRE REX NOW! How many games could've been won this year if we were even somewhat disciplined. Rex almost chuckles at the notion anytime the penalty and issue is brought up.

Were his team noted to be disciplined and smart in NY? Did his team get worse or better the longer he coached it? What was the state of the team when he left? Shambles? How is the team he left doing now with its current coach? How is the team Rex is currently coaching doing?

There should be no surprise with this outcome. Usually don't don't know for sure what the outcome is going to be when you hire a coordinator from another team or a college coach to coach your team. But that isn't the case here. Rex Ryan had a six year career as a HC with the Jets.

This organization found Rex Ryan to be an appealing coaching candidate. Why? You get what you deserve to get!

Do you know what is worse than having the loquacious Rex as your HC? Having the glib HC have more authority in personnel so that his scheme can be better served. Regressing to get better usually turns out to be regressing and then more regressing.

Sure they can...the cap is going up 15-20 million as the new TV contracts kick in

More like 10 million.

Man dude you're way off base. You sure you're not high on something? They might not even be able to retain their own free agents let alone go out get some from other teams! They have Cordy Glenn, Rich Cognito, Percy Harvin, and linebacker Nigel Bradham becoming free agents just to name a few. And they aren't very far below the cap already.

Yup. And to free up around 20 million you will need to replace Kyle Williams, Mario Williams and McKelvin.

Whaley has not done a good job with this team at all.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

You sure that you're not the one off base?

Bradham and Harvin are gone.

Edited by jeffismagic

He built a 6-7 team, to be fair.

You just answered your own question. He built a LOSING team, not even a .500 team. But anyway I would like to add drafting of EJ Manual in the first round. No matter what you say that wasn't Nix's decision alone. Whaley was on board 100% of the way with picking EJ. In fact because Nix was leaving I think it was more Whaley's choice than Nix's.

Yeah so what, he missed on a 1st round QB, he can join an extremely long list of other GMs who've done the same, many multiple times

. But anyway I would like to add drafting of EJ Manual in the first round. No matter what you say that wasn't Nix's decision alone. Whaley was on board 100% of the way with picking EJ. In fact because Nix was leaving I think it was more Whaley's choice than Nix's.

So where would you find someone out there better. I do think Matt Millon is available. Good GM's are all hired, bad ones may be available. Think it's harder to find someone who's never been a GM before and project how he'll do as a GM than it is with a HC candidate.

I'd like to see Whaley get fired. He has found some diamonds in the rough but he also strikes out a lot.

Not gone, they are on IR, likely will see an injury settlement with Harvin. Bradham will likely be back. Don't think is injury was that serious, but timing was such wouldn't be gback in time and numbers were getting thin.

I don't see Bradham resigning here. He is not a good fit for the defense we run. Whaley will follow his Pittsburgh roots and draft his replacement.

You sure that you're not the one off base?

Bradham and Harvin are gone.

o.k. I'm glad you admitted the Bills aren't in good shape with the salary cap. They have to let at least two starters go because they can't fit them under the cap. On top of that they don't have much room under the cap. They will gain a little because the cap will go up but not a whole lot.

o.k. I'm glad you admitted the Bills aren't in good shape with the salary cap. They have to let at least two starters go because they can't fit them under the cap. On top of that they don't have much room under the cap. They will gain a little because the cap will go up but not a whole lot.

I admitted no such thing.

Nigel Bradham, Percy Harvin, Mario Williams, and Kyle Williams all gone.

Clay will be restructured

We can get much cheaper replacements that are younger and fit the scheme we are running AND add a key player or two. I could see us finding a cheaper LB in FA or the draft. We can also find a NT for much less money than a pass-rusher.

Harvin is pretty much retired...

Bills will easily be able to clear up at least $20-30 million by restructuring Mario(saving $9-10+ million), converting Clay roster bonus to a signing bonus(saving 7.5 million), Cutting McKelvin($3.9 million savings), and factoring in the increase in the cap on top of that...this isn't even delving into potential other things the Bills can do, which they likely already have planned. If they cut Williams they would save $12 million.

Edited by matter2003

I admitted no such thing.

Nigel Bradham, Percy Harvin, Mario Williams, and Kyle Williams all gone.

Clay will be restructured

We can get much cheaper replacements that are younger and fit the scheme we are running AND add a key player or two. I could see us finding a cheaper LB in FA or the draft. We can also find a NT for much less money than a pass-rusher.

Great, tear apart what has been a good defense, to let Ryan implement his scheme. If the players here weren't good for his scheme, he shouldn't have been hired.

I don't see this team making much progress for at least a few seasons if Ryan is the coach. And even then, there is no guarantee. Treading water.

Great, tear apart what has been a good defense, to let Ryan implement his scheme. If the players here weren't good for his scheme, he shouldn't have been hired.

I don't see this team making much progress for at least a few seasons if Ryan is the coach. And even then, there is no guarantee. Treading water.

What would be treading water is living in the past. Mario and Kyle are not spring chickens. It's not an accident that Kyle is out all the time and injured. Mario is not worth 20 million a year. Running a 4-3 scheme next year to make it fit old, declining players is worse than treading water actually.

Great poll, it's nice to find out that not all fans drink the kool aid and walk around with blinders on. The smarter fans can see the inept people at the top making poor football decisions. No matter how hard the kool aid drinkers try to sugar coat it this is STILL a NON PLAYOFF, losing team. 16 years in row kool aid drinkers. Explain that one away! HA HA HA HA

Oh wait kool aid kids, here's what you can say: They lose because of the officials. The whole league, the officials, and the rest of the world are all out to get the Bills. It's a huge conspiracy against Buffalo. It's probably the same people who were in on the conspiracy to assassinate John F. Kennedy. LOL

I'd like to see them buy out Rex, promote Roman, and get Schwartz back to run the defense.

I don't think Schwartz would come back. I think he would turn it down. How did Rex con the Pegula's into signing him?? He must have dazzled them with his bull shiit.

Edited by ScrewyLouie

Great poll, it's nice to find out that not all fans drink the kool aid and walk around with blinders on. The smarter fans can see the inept people at the top making poor football decisions. No matter how hard the kool aid drinkers try to sugar coat it this is STILL a NON PLAYOFF, losing team. 16 years in row kool aid drinkers. Explain that one away! HA HA HA HA

Oh wait kool aid kids, here's what you can say: They lose because of the officials. The whole league, the officials, and the rest of the world are all out to get the Bills. It's a huge conspiracy against Buffalo. It's probably the same people who were in on the conspiracy to assassinate John F. Kennedy. LOL

Add to that a team cap number of 152 million for next year after all that losing. One of the highest in the league going into 2016.

What would be treading water is living in the past. Mario and Kyle are not spring chickens. It's not an accident that Kyle is out all the time and injured. Mario is not worth 20 million a year. Running a 4-3 scheme next year to make it fit old, declining players is worse than treading water actually.

I think the reason they have been treading water is because they while they patch up one area, another hole pops up somewhere else. Changing schemes is a big part of that. The Steelers for example, have stayed pretty good, because they have keep the same 3-4 Defensive scheme, and draft accordingly.

I think those guys are old too, but Ryan shouldn't have been hired if he wasn't going to get the most out of the guys that were in place.

Now they have to revamp, and are going to try to make the linebackers the playmakers for the defense...they are the worst unit on the defense, so Ryan is starting from scratch. Treading water..

Edited by HoF Watkins

I think the reason they have been treading water is because they while they patch up one area, another hole pops up somewhere else. Changing schemes is a big part of that. The Steelers for example, have stayed pretty good, because they have keep the same 3-4 Defensive scheme, and draft accordingly.

I think those guys are old too, but Ryan shouldn't have been hired if he wasn't going to get the most out of the guys that were in place.

Now they have to revamp, and are going to try to make the linebackers the playmakers for the defense...they are the worst unit on the defense, so Ryan is starting from scratch. Treading water..

You might be right about the Rex hire. But the Pegulas wanted the best coach and they decided on Rex. Now that he is here there is no point in going back.

We can't go back in time. Rex is here. Do you want to run a 3-4 and Rex's D next year or a 4-3?