Problem with ground & pound

vegas55

The Bills scored 30 points last week and missed an extra point. There are only three teams in the league that average 31 points a game and they are all right around 31. We are tenth overall in scoring and that is with a lot of injuries and a first year HC and OC and system and QB and 2 RB and TE.

Also important to add these numbers aren't skewed by Defensive or Special Teams scores and don't include a very Off year by our PK's standards. Only one I can think off was the fumbled KR @ Jets.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hate for facts to get in the way;

top rushing Seattle- Tampa- Panthers- Buffalo- Minnesota- Pittsburgh- Chiefs- Arizona- Bengals thats a lot of the teams in the playoffs, or may be soon

top passing Patriots-Saints-Arizona-San Diego-Pittsburgh-Atlanta-Giants-Raiders-Lions-Ravens Pats, Cards balanced offense, Pitt balanced offense

the rest are done

Why speculate on who might be in the playoffs - look at last years 4 finalists - Green Bay, Pats, Colts and Seattle. Three of the four are pass first teams. Seattle has a hall of fame defense, and in their only Super Bowl win Lynch ran for a grand total of 36 yards

Marv said, "you use the run to set up the pass.", and I believe Marv.

This post is beyond hilarious. Despite what Marv said, those were not how his four Super Bowl teams played the game. Their famous no huddle offense was the ultimate pass first team. They used the pass to set up the run, as much of Thurmans success came from having teams sub an extra defensive back in and take a linebacker out. The only time Marv ever employed a ground and pound offense was in his stint as head coach of Kansas City. They stunk, he was fired, and the rest is history - that is, a history that shows his only success in the NFL came from a pass first offense.

Y

Teams has shifted their roster to defend the pass. The Nickle corner is more important than ever. and at least one safety needs to have some CB skills.

also< a linebacker needs more coverage abilities and be able to run.

so the smart thing is to get those mismatches and pound those fellows into submission.

as most of you folks know. each game is it's own entity. Many teams try to run a nickle personnel, all day and look to dime in enough sets for a run team to take advantage

Teams has shifted their roster to defend the pass. The Nickle corner is more important than ever. and at least one safety needs to have some CB skills.

also< a linebacker needs more coverage abilities and be able to run.

so the smart thing is to get those mismatches and pound those fellows into submission.

as most of you folks know. each game is it's own entity. Many teams try to run a nickle personnel, all day and look to dime in enough sets for a run team to take advantage

This is a little off-topic but that's why OJ's 1973 season was so impressive. Defenses were built to stop the run in those days and clubs made an extra effort to stop OJ but couldn't.

Because defenses are built to stop passing attacks nowadays, maybe the smart thing is to run. And then throw deep to back the defense off and keep the nickel corner on the field in place of a run-stuffing LB. Kind of like what Roman is doing.

Edited by hondo in seattle

This is a little off-topic but that's why OJ's 1973 season was so impressive. Defenses were built to stop the run in those days and clubs made an extra effort to stop OJ but couldn't.

Because defenses are built to stop passing attacks nowadays, maybe the smart thing is to run. And then throw deep to back the defense off and keep the nickel corner on the field in place of a run-stuffing LB. Kind of like what Roman is doing.

Maybe. the curve is tough to get ahead of i the NFL.

good post Hondo. we shall see if pounding the defense and tuckering them out pays off.

But it is kinda what Roman had planned and just recently it is being implemented to a larger degree?

If this defense was playing EVEN CLOSE to last years our offense would look incredible because it would have the ball more

don't stray from the subject John. geez :nana:

The game has its cycles.

Think about if next years Bills Defense and Offense are truly complimentary football. that might be fun to consider.

With an average defense and entirely crappy special teams and a boatload of injuries, combined with, as stated above, a new HC, OC, QB, RB, TE and system. That's more than decent production.

In the Offseason we wuda signed up for the offense we have now. and it seems their begging to gel at the rite time of the season. it can happen for us. also EVEN THO FELTON WHIFFS A LOT OF BLOCKS. having him block for Karlos is good money.

Maybe. the curve is tough to get ahead of i the NFL.

good post Hondo. we shall see if pounding the defense and tuckering them out pays off.

But it is kinda what Roman had planned and just recently it is being implemented to a larger degree?

don't stray from the subject John. geez :nana:

The game has its cycles.

Think about if next years Bills Defense and Offense are truly complimentary football. that might be fun to consider.

:)

To be fair I thought that the D picked up its play in the 2nd half of last weeks game

It is just so frustrating though.....we all know that last years D dominated most games from start to finish.....if it has the same level of play would we have a playoff spot already set?

hmmmm

It's not the ground and pound, it's the defense. If we we were still 4th in the NFL, led the league in sacks, led in run defense, and was scoring on offense, rushing and deep threat passing like we are today, we would be at 9-3.

Remember the defense has the capability like last year to give us great field position with deep sacks where they can't make up for 3-23.

this

:)

To be fair I thought that the D picked up its play in the 2nd half of last weeks game

It is just so frustrating though.....we all know that last years D dominated most games from start to finish.....if it has the same level of play would we have a playoff spot already set?

hmmmm

Well John if the Bills offense can stay on the field converting third downs and ST would give the Bills better field position on offense and defense, myabe the defense would not be exhausted by the second half ? Its just conjecture , but i think that is Romans/ Rexs plan. Keep the ball in the offenses hands and keep those long drives going.

Agreed we would have one a couple more games. But the team I dont feel would have gotten very much further : (

Last week seemed a more complete team to me. I thinks its coming around.

Thank gosh that brought back Thigpen ( only half sarcastic )

Our defense is what is keeping these games close. Rex has turned a top 5 D into a bottom half of the league D. If you can run the ball effectively you can keep these high powered aerial attacks off the field but when your defense does hit the field they've gotta be able to stop someone. We get no sacks.

Well John if the Bills offense can stay on the field converting third downs and ST would give the Bills better field position on offense and defense, myabe the defense would not be exhausted by the second half ? Its just conjecture , but i think that is Romans/ Rexs plan. Keep the ball in the offenses hands and keep those long drives going.

Agreed we would have one a couple more games. But the team I dont feel would have gotten very much further : (

How about the Defense forcing three & outs like the opposition does against the Bills? They started out great vs. KC & then KC shredded them. Then the Offense forgot Sammy Watkins played for the Bills.

The issue over and over is that the Bills don't adjust and seem to not take what the D will give them. Outside furious comebacks vs. NE & Jax (still losses), in close games the Bills in the second half have been Meh.....

I was just thinking about that. If the offense sustains long drives, by default the defense is off of the field.

As to allowing opponents to score more, ST's have been allowing opponents a short field numerous times.

I was just thinking about that. If the offense sustains long drives, by default the defense is off of the field.

As to allowing opponents to score more, ST's have been allowing opponents a short field numerous times.

I think the ST is getting it together. Thats why i was only half sarcastic about bringing back Thigpen.

Some folks like the big yardage plays. I might think Roman wants to walk the ball down the field and dictate to the opposing D. a lot to ask.

and of course tossing the long ball to Sammy helps the run game immensely. Need to have an honest pass threat to run.

: )

72 , the team has had an ugly start. Patriots , Jaguars etc.

But i can feel the Bills are coming around as a whole team and starting to execute what is being asked of them.

or maybe its the Kool aid talkin again :thumbsup:

I want to see Felton put a hat on Kiko this Sunday and McCoy go for 50.

What has Kiko done to deserve this comment? He's always been classy and as far as I've heard/read, he's done nothing against the Bills or their fans.

Some people. :bag:

Edited by NOVABillsFan

What has Kiko done to deserve this comment? He's always been classy and as far as I've heard/read, he's done nothing against the Bills or their fans.

Some people. :bag:

WTH are you talking about? :huh:

All the guy said is he wants to see Felton do his job and spring Shady to the house. Without question, it would be discussed everywhere, re: the trade, but there was no knock on yer boy. Kiko is a slim LB. Felton a big FB. Calm down.

My apologies if I misinterpreted the post. I just don't understand why he had to single out Kiko. As I posted, I have not heard or read anything about Kiko saying anything negative.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/09/kiko-alonso-itll-be-fun-to-face-bills/

“Naw, man, it’s another week,” Alonso said, via the Philadelphia Daily News. “It’ll be fun because, obviously, I know those guys. … The fact that I got traded for [McCoy] has no relevance at all. It’s really just, the guy’s a great player. We’re going to have to be on top of our game and run to the ball and play sound football to stop that guy.”

IMO - That is how Shady should have responded to playing the Eagles.

Edited by NOVABillsFan

the problem with ground and pound is that offensive lines are rarely good enough to do it anymore. Dallas did it last year... Can you think of any other recent examples where an O line was that dominant?

Not dominant. But i remember wondering how the Jets offensive line was so consistently good.

Freddie was a good back and a better team mate and person. He is not in the same class talent wise. Did you see last week just before the half where McCoy stayed in bounds and took a hit to keep the clock going? Almost every back allows themselves to get taken out of bounds there. Talent and brains and i think he is warming to playing in Buffalo.

I think you are right. He looks right in Buffalo. And the way that guy hits a hole. Im smiling just thinking about how fast he is in getting to the top gear. Its really unreal