Smart vs Dumb game plan against the Pats

1billsfan

The smart game plan for winning this game is to throw the ball deep to our WRs and TEs.

- Giants had 15 yards per catch last week exposing a huge hole in the Pats defense, they had ODB we have Watkins.

- The Bills doing this and potentially taking a two TD or more lead exposes Brady to their rushers who will know that they are in pass mode every down.

The dumb game plan is to run the ball a lot, planning on long drives that eat up time and keep Brady on the sideline.

- Long drives will expose the Bills to more BS penalties by the refs who we all know are in the bag to extend the Pats unbeaten streak.

- Belichick wants the Bills to run the ball a lot because he knows that either Brady or the refs will bail them out in the fourth quarter in an expected tight game.

Will Rex and Roman be smart or dumb? Do they want to go with the best game plan to actually win the game or will they do what Belichich thinks and hopes they do and run the ball hanging their hopes on beating Brady or the refs in a tight game in the fourth quarter. I know this goes against conventional wisdom, but it's the only way they win this game IMO.

Edited by 1billsfan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The smart game plan for winning this game is to throw the ball deep to our WRs and TEs.

- Giants had 15 yards per catch last week exposing a huge hole in the Pats defense, they had ODB we have Watkins.

- The Bills doing this and potentially taking a two TD or more lead exposes Brady to their rushers who will know that they are in pass mode every down.

The dumb game plan is to run the ball a lot, planning on long drives that eat up time and keep Brady on the sideline.

- Long drives will expose the Bills to more BS penalties by the refs who we all know are in the bag to extend the Pats unbeaten streak.

- Belichick wants the Bills to run the ball a lot because he knows that either Brady or the refs will bail them out in the fourth quarter in an expected tight game.

Will Rex and Roman be smart or dumb? Do they want to go with the best game plan to actually win the game or will they do what Belichich thinks and hopes they do and run the ball hanging their hopes on beating Brady or the refs in a tight game in the fourth quarter. I know this goes against conventional wisdom, but it's the only way they win this game IMO.

I tend to agree.

Teams make the mistake of trying to keep games with the Patriots close.

If you are keeping games with the Patriots close going into the 4th quarter and you aren't hitting Tom Brady.......you are losing.

This is actually only the 4th or 5th most important game left on the schedule.

Because the division race is OVER.

The Pats aren't a rival for a playoff spot. They're in.

More likely to be fighting for a spot with KC, Houston and NYJ.

Play to win big and to hit the 40 year old QB.

Edited by #BADOL

Actually smart game plan is to win, dumb game plan is to lose.

Even if they do your "smart" game plan and lose it will end up being the "dumb" game plan.

Winning or losing are not game plans they are results. This game is a test to see if Rex and Roman have the courage to do what gives them the best chance to win the game against the ultimate foe which is the best team in their division and in the NFL. They won't have another shot at them unless they see them again in the playoffs or next year. I think we all know what will happen if their plan is to have long sustained drives ending in touchdowns. The Bills will be pinning their hopes on the refs calling a fair game. Good luck with that.

Both the Patriots and the Giants had rushing attempts of 23 and 24, to 44 pass attempts. We're still going to run, and we're going to pass to open up the opposite. I'm fine with TT taking some shots, but passes longer than 20 yards are a low completion percentage for any QB including Brady.

A diverse game is what is going to help, and involving guys like Clay will help.

Winning or losing are not game plans they are results. This game is a test to see if Rex and Roman have the courage to do what gives them the best chance to win the game against the ultimate foe which is the best team in their division and in the NFL. They won't have another shot at them unless they see them again in the playoffs or next year. I think we all know what will happen if their plan is to have long sustained drives ending in touchdowns. The Bills will be pinning their hopes on the refs calling a fair game. Good luck with that.

That is what I was saying... The only smart game plan is the one that Wins.

Both the Patriots and the Giants had rushing attempts of 23 and 24, to 44 pass attempts. We're still going to run, and we're going to pass to open up the opposite. I'm fine with TT taking some shots, but passes longer than 20 yards are a low completion percentage for any QB including Brady.

A diverse game is what is going to help, and involving guys like Clay will help.

IMO, favoring a short pass/high completion percentage with less big plays over deep pass/low completion percentage with more big plays is a losing formula in this specific game. You can do that in other games against other teams, but with the Patriots you need to attempt to take them out using the “big play” game plan especially when you have a guy like Sammy Watkins playing on your side. Nibbling around the edges against this team only going to result in an unhappy ending.

It helps to have a little belief (on part of the players and coaches). All of us who have played in any sport understand this. The most important muscle for any athlete is one's brain (and yes, I know it's not really a muscle, but allow me the tortured metaphor). The point is that you have to believe that you are as good as they are and that your teammates will help you. Coaches should come up with a good game plan (passing more does sound right since you will have to outscore them) and have 2 options for the 2nd half based on what has transpired. You know the Pats will have all the info they need for the 2nd half, so you have thwart their intelligence operation.

The Bills strength is running the ball and protecting a young, inexperienced QB. Getting away from the run and putting the game - on the road- in the hands of Taylor vs. the best team in the league is not the right way to go. Keep Brady off the field with the strength of the team is the way to go. Take shots down field with the deep passing game set up by play action.

The thing I don't want to see them doing it throwing the ball 40 times with a short passing game.

If the Bills come out running, the Pats will make them go 3 and out and kill them. Our line is not good enough yet to control a game against a team like that. It's not a must-win, so come out and go for them.

OL did a hell of a job vs. the Jets front who stacked the box determined to take the run away. That Jets front 7 is a better than the Pats. I expect Belichick to stack the box and double Watkins and play everybody else one on one. Bills need to still find a way to run the ball and hit chunk yardage plays to Clay over the middle and Woods outside.

We just need one of our 300 pound linemen to fall into his knee. I don't care who you are, if a 300 pound object hits your planted leg, you are going to be out for a long time.

I don't think it's necessary to intentionally injure Brady........but if you want to make him vulnerable you have to make him hold the ball and throw it deep.

That exposes him to painful hits.....including to his legs as you mentioned.

Hit him a few times and he will throw passes up for grabs like he did at the end of the Giants game.

OL did a hell of a job vs. the Jets front who stacked the box determined to take the run away. That Jets front 7 is a better than the Pats. I expect Belichick to stack the box and double Watkins and play everybody else one on one. Bills need to still find a way to run the ball and hit chunk yardage plays to Clay over the middle and Woods outside.

Yep.....you know they will try to take Watkins out. But still gotta find a way to free him up. Moving Watkins around should be a big part of Roman's plan this week and doing so, in theory, they should be able to open up areas of the field underneath the coverage on Watkins.

Yep.....you know they will try to take Watkins out. But still gotta find a way to free him up. Moving Watkins around should be a big part of Roman's plan this week and doing so, in theory, they should be able to open up areas of the field underneath the coverage on Watkins.

I hope so. The Bills seem too willing to allow teams to take Watkins away and go elsewhere. The guy is a playmaker and they need to do everything they can do give him touches.