The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

Free speech hangs in the balance in 3 Supreme Court cases

The Hill, by Jonathan Turley

This month, the Supreme Court reviewed a trifecta of free speech cases that has government and civil libertarians alike on edge. While each of the cases raises an insular issue, they collectively run across the waterfront of free speech controversies facing this country. For some of us, what was most chilling from oral arguments were the sentiments voiced by justices on the left of the court, particularly Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson. The court may now be reflecting the shift among liberal scholars and politicians away from freedom of speech and in favor of greater government speech regulation

https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/4551132-free-speech-hangs-in-the-balance-in-three-supreme-court-cases/

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

“an” act, not “a” act. Thought I would commit a random act of kindness and save Frankish the trouble of ignoring the point and focusing on the grammar. I’m something!!

• Awesome! (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

“an” act, not “a” act. Thought I would commit a random act of kindness and save Frankish the trouble of ignoring the point and focusing on the grammar. I’m something!!

Dammit, I missed that one.

But thank you! Now I may seize the opportunity to say: "See, this is why editors are important, and we shouldn't treat tweeters as journalists!"

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Dammit, I missed that one.

But thank you! Now I may seize the opportunity to say: "See, this is why editors are important, and we shouldn't treat tweeters as journalists!"

Especially Greenwald now that he seems to tilt right! All that Snowden stuff really wasn’t journalism, even though he was reliable left in those days

25 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Especially Greenwald now that he seems to tilt right! All that Snowden stuff really wasn’t journalism, even though he was reliable left in those days

Greenwald has settled into continuous grudge settling ever since he (correctly) realized that the a lot of important people consider him complicit in that whole thing. Good thing Brazil is such a free and fair country!

'60 Minutes' Gets Caught Red-Handed After
Interview With 'Misinformation Expert'

Leave it to "60 Minutes" to bring on the leader of a "misinformation research group" and then fail to disclose all the pertinent details of her background. The left-wing news program was caught red-handed when it was revealed that Kate Starbird isn't actually an unbiased arbiter of truth and fiction. The background of this story involves the following interview, in which Starbird and "60 Minutes'" Lesley Stahl complain that X (formerly Twitter) wasn't at their beck and call to censor content they deem to be "misinformation.

https://redstate.com/bonchie/2024/03/26/60-minutes-gets-caught-red-handed-not-disclosing-background-of-disinformation-expert-n2171966

• Shocked 1

• 3 weeks later...

GOOD: 

Nearly 5,000 want Kyle Rittenhouse event at Kent State canceled; university backs free speech.

Two online petitions call for canceling an upcoming Kyle Rittenhouse event at Kent State University, arguing the event is insensitive in light of the school’s history with “gun violence.”

They have garnered nearly 5,000 signatures in recent weeks.

The petitions also accuse Rittenhouse of “involvement in politically motivated acts of gun violence” and argue his presence would pose difficulties “for many of our minority communities.”

https://www.thecollegefix.com/nearly-5000-want-kyle-rittenhouse-event-at-kent-state-canceled-university-backs-free-speech/

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

GOOD: 

Nearly 5,000 want Kyle Rittenhouse event at Kent State canceled; university backs free speech.

Two online petitions call for canceling an upcoming Kyle Rittenhouse event at Kent State University, arguing the event is insensitive in light of the school’s history with “gun violence.”

They have garnered nearly 5,000 signatures in recent weeks.

The petitions also accuse Rittenhouse of “involvement in politically motivated acts of gun violence” and argue his presence would pose difficulties “for many of our minority communities.”

https://www.thecollegefix.com/nearly-5000-want-kyle-rittenhouse-event-at-kent-state-canceled-university-backs-free-speech/

Imagine if the original headline had been "Teenager defends self from white felon recently let out of jail and who was trying to destroy property at BLM riot."  He'd have been fine...

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Imagine if the original headline had been "Teenager defends self from white felon recently let out of jail and who was trying to destroy property at BLM riot."  He'd have been fine...

👆

🤡

👇

3 hours ago, Doc said:

But you keep at it because you have nothing else.

They never think.