Dolphin decisions, collective and individual

I know some if not all of this has been covered scattershot in different threads but I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thought in a few critical decisions.

I don't think any call was a no brainer, but...

I definitely would have gone for the TD at the end of the half from the one yard line, where you can still run it in pretty easy. From the two it's a different story. But I think Campbell made the right call on that one.

I think it was a mistake to be in the shotgun and in an obvious pass formation. As well as to pass to Sims.

As far as the penalty call goes, which gave the Bills the chance at 3-14 from the 44, which led to the Sammy TD, it would have been a 51 yard FG. With the wind. I think Carpenter, at home, now healthy, against his former team, with money on the line, nails that 2 out of 3 times. I think I would have taken the penalty, too. To me, it's a 55-45 proposition, but it's not a horrendous decision to me at all. it just didn't work.

Those were the two big ones. I understand if you would have made the Bills kick. But Carpenter makes that more than two thirds of the time I think, and the Bills don't get 7-8 yards two thirds of the time just to get back to a 50% makeable FG.

The biggest blunder they made was not calling a time out at the end of the 1st half when Miller failed to get out of bounds. That play started at 29 seconds, I believe he was tackled around 20ish. They call a quick time out, they have two more downs to throw it into the end zone and then kick a field goal. Tannehill and Campbell really blew that one.

Back to the topic, I would have kicked a FG to end the half, gotta score points. Especially getting the ball back, failing to get points is deflating.

I probably would have declined the penalty and gone to 4th down. That's a tougher decision, but I generally would want to give the offense fewer chances to get a first or score. The way the Bills were converting 3rd downs makes that a tough call.

Decision to go for the TD -- totally cool with it. Not using timeouts to give yourself 2-3 shots at it? Awful. Shotgun? Awful.

I think you make the Bills attempt the FG. They make it and you're still within one score. They miss it and you have the ball at the 40+. Don't really understand accepting the penalty and giving the Bills another shot.

Decision to go for the TD -- totally cool with it. Not using timeouts to give yourself 2-3 shots at it? Awful. Shotgun? Awful.

I think you make the Bills attempt the FG. They make it and you're still within one score. They miss it and you have the ball at the 40+. Don't really understand accepting the penalty and giving the Bills another shot.

8 points in a tight game is a big difference than 5 points. That is the reason he did what he did, the 5 point difference.

I would have called time out when the runner stayed in bounds. Think there was :23 on the clock. I think if you do that it means you probably can't run it (I think they were at the 8 before the PI in the endzone) because if you run you run it you likely don't get in and by the time the run ends you probably have the time just to spike and kick the FG but if you pass you have time for at least 2, maybe 3 throws into the endzone and then a field goal if you don't make it.

Once he got into the position he did after the PI - I'll be honest at that stage knowing I am getting the ball out of the half - I kick the FG.

The decision to accept the penalty is, for me, the right call. You have the Bills in 3rd and long - they have been killing you with the run, the run is no longer an option you have the chance to take them out of point scoring range in a 5 point game.... I make that call every time if I am honest and I call a brutal pass rush on the QB - which they did and Suh I have to say got held. Who would be a coach eh? I think Campbell was a tad unfortunate there.

Edited by GunnerBill

8 points in a tight game is a big difference than 5 points. That is the reason he did what he did, the 5 point difference.

I admit it's a close call...I don't think he should be roundly criticized either way.

I kept track of the '5 points' from halftime on. 2 from the safety and the 3 they didn't get by kicking a FG to end the half. Think they would have liked to have those points back??

Not actually germane to the conversation, and probably pointed out elsewhere since Sunday, but after Campbell made the right call to put the Bills at 3rd and 15 and likely out of field goal range, I'm ecstatic with the fact that the BIlls didn't go all Jauron on the next play and just try to pick up a few rushing yards for a closer field goal.

To me, that was the Nail Meet Coffin play of the game.

Not actually germane to the conversation, and probably pointed out elsewhere since Sunday, but after Campbell made the right call to put the Bills at 3rd and 15 and likely out of field goal range, I'm ecstatic with the fact that the BIlls didn't go all Jauron on the next play and just try to pick up a few rushing yards for a closer field goal.

To me, that was the Nail Meet Coffin play of the game.

Absolutely. If I understood Rex right in his post-game press conference (and he doesn't exactly speak with clarity at times) it wasn't necessarily meant as a streak right down the sideline but he beat Grimes so bad at the line that he didn't need to look to come back for the ball and could just keep running and let Tyrod put it out there.