Question about being at the game in the lower bowl

bbb

Anybody know why we stand all game long for every game now?

The first time it ever happened was for the Oilers playoff game on 1/1/89. The stadium was insane for the whole game and nobody sat down.

I think it happened maybe at some playoff games after that, but it doesn't stick in my mind.

Then, it happened for the Dallas MNF crazy game in 2007. The energy that night was at least at playoff level.

Then, it happened a month or so later for the Pats game that got time switched to SNF. Except that the energy was soon gone after the Pats were destroying us. But, nobody sat down anyway, for some reason.

Now, it's every single game, all game long.

It used to mean something when the announcer would say "And, the crowd is on it's feet!"

It does seem like other teams are like this now, too (it used to be a big complaint about going to Raiders games - because of the crappy stadium, the people in the front rows had to stand, and therefore everybody behind them had to, too. People would not buy lower bowls who did not want to stand. It was well known)

Anybody have a theory?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's become a problem. My father can't stand for that long and we end up watching video screens for half the game anyway. Your point is well taken as we ought to sit at some points. Used to be 3d down was on yer feet, this four hours of standing is a bit silly.

Yeah, it happens all the time in the corners. I get that it's annoying for many, but we just roll with it.

I just hope that by the time it becomes an issue for us, we can afford the fancier seats where everybody sits all game. :)

It's like the commercial where the guy turns the label out on his beer. It's only word of it doesn't work. The problem is standing doesn't make the team better and people are sheep so if one person does it the rest will too.

Edited by The Wiz

It's become a problem. My father can't stand for that long and we end up watching video screens for half the game anyway. Your point is well taken as we ought to sit at some points. Used to be 3d down was on yer feet, this four hours of standing is a bit silly.

It is silly. Being on your feet used to mean something - standing ovations, the crowd rising as one, or like I said those playoff games where the energy level was super high.

Yeah, it happens all the time in the corners. I get that it's annoying for many, but we just roll with it.

I just hope that by the time it becomes an issue for us, we can afford the fancier seats where everybody sits all game. :)

We were in on the goal line up until last year. Those last few years, we stood all game long. I actually liked it better than being at the 30, like we are now. Now, we stand up 80% of the time, so it's constant up and down, for almost every play.........And, then the usual bickering - down in front!...............Yeah, tell 30 rows in front of us to sit down!

I just don't know how things have changed so much.

I prefer standing when I watch the Bills and actually usually stand in my living room. Too much nervous energy to sit comfortably. I sat in 13th row for Bills Giants, sat whenever I could for those behind but most of the time the folks in front of us were up. I prefer it but can understand why it'd be bothersome for some.

Edited by Aaron

I prefer standing when I watch the Bills and actually usually stand in my living room. Too much nervous energy to sit comfortably. I sat in 13th row for Bills Giants, sat whenever I could for those behind but most of the time the folks in front of us were up. I prefer it but can understand why it'd be bothersome for some.

I don't think we sat at all for that game

I have been going to games since 1979 and the lower bowl has always stood. Sometime in the 2000's they tried to enforce the 'sit except during exciting plays or downs' and it has failed. Just saying I think the entire premise of your question is false, people have been standing as long as I can remember so saying it is a new thing doesn't hold water. I think the "sit" movement started because of people who physically can't stand that long complaining. I see their point but I do not know what can be truly done to stop it.

It seems to me it is a game by game thing till this year. I remember sitting for most of the 3 AFC championship games, most of the comback, but standing the whole game for the Rams Conga Line Game All in lower bowl corner.

From 99 till I have sat in mix of upper and lower bowl. Two lower bowl games last year , Pats and Browns, sitting pretty much after 1st quarter.

I prefer to stand, but understand pain da ass for people who physically can not do it. Maybe a small section like the family section as an experiment with no standing allowed?

BTW, I would totally buy SRO seats at the top of the Ralph. If they put on or two beer vendors up there , great bathroom access, awesome view. It would be my favorite seat in the house.

As it is , they will not let you stand up there for even a minute! Lost revenue opp in my mind.

I sit in lower bowl between the 30's.

it starts at the first few rows which are OBSTRUCTED view (players standing on sidelines). people stand up to see over them. then a chain reaction starts all the way up.

Edited by papazoid

I prefer to sit. If I can't see i won't hesitate to stand up though. The thing that bothers me the most is the people behind me yelling at me to sit down. I can't see!!! Im not sitting down! Unreal......go watch the game on your sofa....problem solved

Anybody know why we stand all game long for every game now?

The first time it ever happened was for the Oilers playoff game on 1/1/89. The stadium was insane for the whole game and nobody sat down.

I think it happened maybe at some playoff games after that, but it doesn't stick in my mind.

Then, it happened for the Dallas MNF crazy game in 2007. The energy that night was at least at playoff level.

Then, it happened a month or so later for the Pats game that got time switched to SNF. Except that the energy was soon gone after the Pats were destroying us. But, nobody sat down anyway, for some reason.

Now, it's every single game, all game long.

It used to mean something when the announcer would say "And, the crowd is on it's feet!"

It does seem like other teams are like this now, too (it used to be a big complaint about going to Raiders games - because of the crappy stadium, the people in the front rows had to stand, and therefore everybody behind them had to, too. People would not buy lower bowls who did not want to stand. It was well known)

Anybody have a theory?

The stuff you people complain about . . . Smh.

Simple solution . . . don't go to the game.

Edited by 1B4IDie

Etiquette used to be:

When Bills are on offense - be quiet, sit down unless it's a big play or we're in the red zone

When Bills are on defense - be loud, sit down unless it's 3rd or 4th down

It's a younger crowd these days that doesn't mind standing for everything. I'd recommend getting either first or last row if you have elderly friends/family - at least with last row they can lean against the back wall the whole game

I get very angry at people that shout "sit down".

It has a very high horse implication and doesn't belong at a football game.

I'm never the one to stand up and wave my arms wildly to get everyone standing, but I definitely will stand quickly on 3rd downs and don't have a problem with it. I can't say for sure, but I can't see myself complaining about it if I'm ever in a position where I can't stand as often due to age.

If someone says, "sit in your seat that you paid for" or something to that effect, it's an instant eye roll for me.

Posts like this make me glad my seats are where they are. Second row from the top of my section, club seats behind us. The people in the row behind me can stand at will without worrying about obstructing anyone's view, which means I can do the exact same thing

I have been going to games since 1979 and the lower bowl has always stood. Sometime in the 2000's they tried to enforce the 'sit except during exciting plays or downs' and it has failed. Just saying I think the entire premise of your question is false, people have been standing as long as I can remember so saying it is a new thing doesn't hold water. I think the "sit" movement started because of people who physically can't stand that long complaining. I see their point but I do not know what can be truly done to stop it.

Except for the possible exception of you going to games since 1979, not one thing here is true.

I've gone to games every year since 1968, and am now on our 30th season with season tickets in the lower level. I know what I'm talking about - as reflected by everybody else's answers.

Etiquette used to be:

When Bills are on offense - be quiet, sit down unless it's a big play or we're in the red zone

When Bills are on defense - be loud, sit down unless it's 3rd or 4th down

It's a younger crowd these days that doesn't mind standing for everything. I'd recommend getting either first or last row if you have elderly friends/family - at least with last row they can lean against the back wall the whole game

Exactly. I don't even know if it's etiquette. It just makes sense. The energy level raises when it should.