McCown Out for the Season; Manziel Out with Concussion

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know they didn't have to. I meant that Petttine should have just told him those were his only rules, like HC's have been doing for decades.

Has anyone said that this benching was for poor performance on the field or in the facility? 3 weeks ago McCown (for sucking as QB, not for some minor injury) was benched and Manziel was named starter...for the rest of the season! They would do that if he didn't prepare or practice? Pettine was gushing about JM when he made that announcement.

Pettine is a goof.

One explanation is that Pettine is stupid.

Another is that someone else pulled the string and told Pettine to play Manziel. When Manziel immediately screwed up, it might have given Pettine the out to renege. "Sorry boss, I told you so."

Or maybe Pettine figured out he'd a dead man walking and decided he'd rather go out on his own terms.

The idea that embarrassing Manziel is going to "fix him" is mindbogglingly absurd.

You can't fix him. He's not an NFL QB. And he doesn't take it seriously enough off the field because he's immature and an alcoholic.

Agreed.

I don't think he takes it seriously on the field either. Gil Brandt said, after scouting him a bit, that he really didn't understand what Manziel was doing a lot of the time. He was curious what JM was even thinking on many plays. His crazy, unpredictable freelancing got him a Heisman, but it's not exactly the backbone of consistency that NFL coaching staffs crave.

One explanation is that Pettine is stupid.

Another is that someone else pulled the string and told Pettine to play Manziel. When Manziel immediately screwed up, it might have given Pettine the out to renege. "Sorry boss, I told you so."

Or maybe Pettine figured out he'd a dead man walking and decided he'd rather go out on his own terms.

The idea that embarrassing Manziel is going to "fix him" is mindbogglingly absurd.

My points exactly. If "someone else" is telling him to play Manziel, it is because they too believe Pettine is the rock head he appears to be.

Manziel may not be an NFL QB, but starting him and benching him and starting and benching him for reasons other than on field performance (especially when you have no clear viable option at QB) guarantees you will never find out.

I think it's safe to say the game has passed Gil Brandt by...

brandt.190.jpg

@AndrewSiciliano

With four weeks to go, the Browns hold the #1 pick in the 2016 @NFL draft.

This Sunday is their last real chance to screw that up. The Oiltans are very unlikely to win again. Ditto the Cowbois.

@ESPNNFL

After being benched for 2 games, Johnny Manziel is back as the Browns starter. http://es.pn/1QaJ8m9

They should've waited another week.

Pettine just said he has not made a decision on the starting QB for this week. Only preliminary discussions.

Could be because he hasn't talked to the QBs

More like Pettine is done with Johnny Goofball but the higher-ups (read: the owner, who drafted him) want to see him start and Pettine is resisting. Pettine knows he's a dead man walking but doesn't seem to give a rip.