HOLD YOUR HORSES!

NavyBillsFan

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

An alternative schedule, if they wanted to keep with the divisional format, would be to play the 4 teams in your division 4 times, play 2 other teams in the conference 2 times, and play the remaining 8 conference teams 1 time.  To play a home-and-home against every team in your conference would be a disadvantage for the West, who would have alot longer traveling.

241519[/snapback]

Good points Joe. Looking more and more like it will not matter.

not that I support the nhlpa, but from their perspective it's potentially $180 million less in salaries for the players as a group.

241522[/snapback]

and do not forget the two times that teams can exceed the cap in a six year stretch, and you are really looking at around 9M per team

Wow. all over 6M per team, per year?

!@#$ joke.

241514[/snapback]

Look at it another way: the NHLPA wants 75% of revenue paid out to the players.

Yes, that's seventy five percent.

I'll give them points for consistency, since they seem to be sticking by it as a hard floor (for now, we'll see what the next couple hours bring). But what employer pays out 75% of revenue in salaries? What is wrong with these !@#$ing idiots that they're more interested in getting a bigger share of the pie than making sure there's actually a pie to get a piece of? What a bunch of self-destructive !@#$s... :D

Pathetic....6 million is going to be peanuts compared to the long term $$$ they're going to lose from missing the entire season.

241521[/snapback]

C'mon...The ONLY reason the NHLPA "caved" on the salary cap is so they would look good in the upcoming adjudication (where the owners will try to declare an impasse). The Goodenow knew the owners wouldn't go to $49 million, so that's where the NHLPA took their stand following their recent monumental move...after MONTHS of not moving at all.

And it's all stupid, because the owners will get their impasse (should they seek it), and will almost certainly be allowed to use replacement players next year. That would mean the owners could essentially reinvent the sport, its rules, and its CBA. Assuming there's no miracle deal or crazy court ruling, the players have really screwed themselves here.

"The league has already sent out memos to its teams saying that it has not contacted the union since Tuesday night, and the season will be cancelled. Neither side has made contact with each other since wrapping up a public letter-writing campaign with the NHL and the union standing pat with a $6.5 million gap." Per TSN.ca

THIS IS B_U_L_L_S_H_I_T!!

And it's all stupid, because the owners will get their impasse (should they seek it), and will almost certainly be allowed to use replacement players next year. That would mean the owners could essentially reinvent the sport, its rules, and its CBA. Assuming there's no miracle deal or crazy court ruling, the players have really screwed themselves here.

That's fine by me, really all the NHL need to do is dust off the rule book from the seasons 1970-1989 and they will be fine. Oh and fire Bettman when this debacle is over.

Look at it another way: the NHLPA wants 75% of revenue paid out to the players.

Yes, that's seventy five percent

I'll give them points for consistency, since they seem to be sticking by it as a hard floor (for now, we'll see what the next couple hours bring).  But what employer pays out 75% of revenue in salaries?  What is wrong with these !@#$ing idiots that they're more interested in getting a bigger share of the pie than making sure there's actually a pie to get a piece of?  What a bunch of self-destructive !@#$s...  :D

241534[/snapback]

to be fair, 75% is if every team hits the cap, but still, it's assinine.

That being said, you have any idea how much of the NFL's revenue is paid to players?

That being said, you have any idea how much of the NFL's revenue is paid to players?

241543[/snapback]

I believe around 63%, but the NFLPA is starting to question how that number is derived as well. All is not well between the players and the NFL

That's fine by me, really all the NHL need to do is dust off the rule book from the seasons 1970-1989 and they will be fine. Oh and fire Bettman when this debacle is over.

241542[/snapback]

Fine with me, too...Except I WAS kind of hoping to see the novelty that would have been the 20-30 game season. I really miss playoff hockey in Buffalo, and in a short crapshoot, we may have actually gotten in this "year".

Of course that wouldn't have been as good for the game as a whole, so the disappointment is mitigated.

You can bet your bottom dollar there is still negogiating going on in each corner...whomever blinks 1st that briges the gap closer is ALL it will take....becuase you know DAMN well egos are a part of this...if one side comes down or up 2-3 mil...then the side that REJECTS the offer will be looked at as the pieces of stevestojan....theres still time!

241543[/snapback]

I'm not sure, but I guarantee it's less than 75%. :) Just guessing, but I'd think that around 55-60% is at the upper level of financial health, and the NHL is hardly healthy financially, so I'd bet it's higher than 60%. I think I read on the NHL's web site (which has a pretty good history of the negotiations so far) that it's in the low-60's somewhere, and the league would like to get it below 60%. The NHLPA basically wanted it open-ended...but with a method of siphoning even more revenue out of the owner's pockets (but not necessarily into the players') with a luxury tax.

Basically, the NHLPA is insane, and this is a textbook case of a union driving an industry and itself out of business. After all, it's not really the "NHLPA" without the "NHL", is it? :D

20 minutes till the announcement that we will be stuck with bowling, NBA, and frigging baseball..

GodDAMNIT!!!

241728[/snapback]

A detroit radio station is reporting that there is a last ditch effort by Bettman to strike a deal...I find little hope from that report, though.

Well, it looks like they did jump off the cliff without a parachute. All over a few million bucks per team. Not every team would have been at the cap limit anyways whether it was at 42 million or 49 million. The players and owners are all a-holes. They all just screwed themselves for no reason other than greed for money that will never be there again. I don't understand the players position at all. Now they will play next season for alot less than was on the table today or they won't play at all. Have fun shoveling crap for minimum wage in Moose Ass, Saskatchewan or wherever the hell in Canada you idiots come from. The utter stupidity of these people absolutley amazes me.