Is it time to replace the field turf again..

Protocal69

I remember some years ago that we replaced our field turf with some new technology and ever since I recall our field seaming to be very slippery.

The bengals were just complaining about the field being too slippery before the game started. Remember Mccoy took a handoff and slipped in the backfield. That could have easily been his ACL

I couldn't remember the name of the turf so I did a little bit of research and came across this article that was just posted a couple of weeks ago ranking the best-worst field and guess the the BILLS Field ranked.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/10/01/nfl-stadium-turf-grass-rankings

29. Buffalo Bills: Ralph Wilson Stadium, Orchard Park, N.Y.

The only field using the A-Turf Titan infill artificial system hasn’t gotten a good rap around the league. It is tough to tell if the cold weather in Buffalo has put a difficult spin on the Ralph Wilson Stadium turf or if this style of artificial turf just doesn’t have the same comfort level as the rest of the league.

Then I said to myself "yeah that was the name of it"

Then I came across this article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/27/roethlisbergers-rant-at-ralph-wilson-stadium-turf-missed-the-mark/

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s claim that the surface at Ralph Wilson Stadium was to blame for Pittsburgh guard David DeCastro’s injury on Saturday night in Buffalo missed the mark in one important respect: Roethlisberger blamed FieldTurf, but the surface at Ralph Wilson Stadium is actually called A-Turf Titan.

FieldTurf is a brand name for a type of artificial surface that many NFL teams use, either in their stadiums or on their practice fields. A-Turf Titan is a different type of artificial surface that the Bills are alone among NFL teams in using at their home fields.

Here is the website for aturf and look at who they feature right on the home page

http://www.aturf.com/systems/a-turf-titan/

I remember a lot of other instances where our field has caused numerous slips, more than what I normally see in other NFL games.

Edited by Protocal69

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I've noticed how bad it's been as well. Even in hot dry weather it's been bad. I honestly wouldn't mind it if the Bills just went to a natural grass field.

From what I have read that a grass field for us would be hard because of our winters. I wonder if there are any cold weather teams that have grass.

From what I have read that a grass field for us would be hard because of our winters. I wonder if there are any cold weather teams that have grass.

Pittsburgh and Cleveland both have grass. Cleveland has underground heating tubes that keep the surface from freezing. Not sure if Pitt has that.

Pittsburgh and Cleveland both have grass. Cleveland has underground heating tubes that keep the surface from freezing. Not sure if Pitt has that.

Oh ok. Cleveland heating tubes sound bad ass

12 year warranty.

When was it installed?

Bring back AstroTurf.

Imo

It was installed in 2011 during the lockout. Also they are a local based company so maybe that was the reason the BILLS choose that company

Edited by Protocal69

I've noticed a lot of players slipping at the Ralph this year, McCoy slipped more than once

The field in Pittsburgh is one of the worst in sports. Not sure about Clevelands but I don't recall reading many complaints about it.

The Packers have always had natural grass and I believe go have some sort of underground heating. The Eagles also have natural grass and although the winters are not as bad as Buffalo's they are no cake walk either.

I don't see the Bills ever switching to natural grass though.

Edited by Max997

Really glad to see this post because I've been thinking the same thing. I remember Woods having a sure TD earlier in the year and slipping on his break in the end zone. Sammy seems to slip a lot and that seemed to be the case in the same end zone with his latest injury. Have seen Clay slip a few times. Anyway, the turf at the Ralph seems terrible. Gotta think players have mentioned it. Terry certainly can afford to replace it.

From what I have read that a grass field for us would be hard because of our winters. I wonder if there are any cold teams that have grass.

Yeah i've heard that too but I find it hard to believe with today's advancement in agriculture. Agrostologists would know what type of grass/sod that would hold up during the winter without breaking too easy. Something about rubber pellets on a football field just sounds like a terrible mix haha.

I honestly just want to see the old red endzones, they were boss as hell.291-04.jpg

Was this thread precipitated by Sammy losing his footing? Damn - I thought EJ was to blame for Sammy's ankle. Now it's the chemical engineers who developed artificial turf.

accually I started the thread because I cant get that Sammy Watkins ankle injury out of my head. It has always been a concern of mine for a while now it just the latest injury and the complaints from the bengals took the cake