Special Teams - The biggest issue?

RichVP

I don't exactly know the numbers. I want to look them up but I'm at work for a while longer.

In the three losses the special teams have hurt the team tremendously.

I don't disagree with other threads and other issues brought up but there was a large discrepancy in field position yesterday and did no favors to the offense or the defense.

Missed tackles, rampant penalties, and missed field goals or extra points have consistently hurt this team in its three losses. In its three wins special teams were solid but still not as good as last year.

We can't consistently ask our offense to drive 80+ yards or ask our defense to consistently defend 50 or less yards.

Thoughts? Anyone able to see the average start positions in Losses vs. Wins?

Didn't see a thread dedicated to special teams and felt it was warranted. If mods think otherwise do what you do.

-RichVP

it looks A LOT like his units in detroit that lost games with the lions with unsportsmanlike calls, and terrible situational awareness

Though last year his squad was not that bad. What happened this year? One parallel I see is that in both cases, the HC was known to have a highly penalized team overall.

We get a block in the back or a hold on almost every return. We fair catch too close to the goal line. We get stupid personal fouls - like 4 or 5 this year. On special teams this is just... absurd. Throw in a kicker who can't get touchbacks, and a terrible kick coverage unit (especially with easley out) and we probably have the worst ST in the league right now.

Drive Starts Yesterday

Q1

Bills - our 20

Cin - their 49

Bills - our 11

Cin - Buff 49

Bills - our 17

Cin - Buff 45

Q2

Bills - our 13

Cin - their 45

Bills - our 20

Cin - Buff 36

Bills - our 14

Cin - their 35

Q3

Cin - their 10 (penalty on return)

Bills - our 14

Cin - their 22

Bills - our 20

Cin - their 34

Q4

Bills - our 20

Cin - their 27

Bills - our 4

Cin - Buff 46 (turnover on downs)

End of Game

That's some mighty sick stats right there, I'm tellin' ya.

I think our average drive start was our own 15 yard line if I've calculated this correctly.

Cincy was handicapped by having to start on average at their own 39 yard line (not counting their last possession - which would have made their 45 yard line as the average start to their drives). :ph34r:

Oh, and EJ lost the game in case ya didn't hear.

Drive Starts Yesterday

Q1

Bills - our 20

Cin - their 49

Bills - our 11

Cin - Buff 49

Bills - our 17

Cin - Buff 45

Q2

Bills - our 13

Cin - their 45

Bills - our 20

Cin - Buff 36

Bills - our 14

Cin - their 35

Q3

Bills - our 14

Cin - their 22

Bills - our 20

Cin - their 34

Q4

Bills - our 20

Cin - their 27

Bills - our 4

End of Game

I think our average drive start was our own 15 yard line if I've calculated this correctly.

Cincy was handicapped by having to start on average at their own 39 yard line (not counting their last possession - which would have made their 45 yard line as the average start to their drives). :ph34r:

To be fair, if our offense can get even two first downs, we could flip the field.

It looks especially bad when you keep going three and out.

RETURN GUYS: PLEASE stop fair-catching punts inside the five!

You are doing the other teams work for them.

Drive Starts Yesterday

Q1

Bills - our 20

Cin - their 49

Bills - our 11

Cin - Buff 49

Bills - our 17

Cin - Buff 45

Q2

Bills - our 13

Cin - their 45

Bills - our 20

Cin - Buff 36

Bills - our 14

Cin - their 35

Q3

Bills - our 14

Cin - their 22

Bills - our 20

Cin - their 34

Q4

Bills - our 20

Cin - their 27

Bills - our 4

End of Game

Thank you. Very interesting and exactly what I wanted to see. I think if we fire anyone it should be Crossman and not Thurman.