I propose a new NFL rule

Doc

Late flags are the problem...

Players know to beg for them on every incomplete pass, especially on 3rd down

They beg because it works about 1/3 of the time

Agreed. If a flag is not thrown at the time of the infraction then - no foul should be allowed.

IF they allow these late flags then I say the coach gets a free challenge for every "late" flag.

Edited by NOVABillsFan

I agree and take it one step further. Even if you gesture with your hands outstretched as in "where is the flag", you also get flagged.

I will also add that if you roll your eyes it also is fragrant. Oh and that would have to ban visors on helmets also.

Edited by HuSeYiN_NYC

At least two posters have come to the conclusion that many of the late flags were a direct result of players "begging" for a call. I'd love to see some proof of this. More likely what fans are seeing is a ref who for whatever reason doesn't get the flag out of his pocket quickly....and therefore assumes it is a "late" flag.

That being said, believe what you may.

At least two posters have come to the conclusion that many of the late flags were a direct result of players "begging" for a call. I'd love to see some proof of this. More likely what fans are seeing is a ref who for whatever reason doesn't get the flag out of his pocket quickly....and therefore assumes it is a "late" flag.

That being said, believe what you may.

I've always wondered if sometimes the referee does not throw the flag until he sees the receiver did not catch the ball. I seem to think they'd rather if he catches it pretend the penalty didn't happen as long as the offense gets what they deserve so to speak. Edited by Coastie

The CFL has instituted such a rule. I saw a receiver who felt he was wronged waving the "throw a flag" gesture.

He "received" an "objectionable conduct" penalty. I think it was 15 yards.

This must be a new rule in the last year or two. The CFL seems to be going the same over-officious route just like the NFL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a fan of new NFL rules (good God), but one thing I would love to eliminate is players doing the "first down" signal.

Jerks like Julian Edelman and Golden Tate seem to use it like a legal taunt. Just eliminate it.

Any player caught giving the "throw the flag" sign gets a 15 yard penalty. I'm sick of seeing it.

So, they would in fact get a flag. That should make them happy. :)

And if we carry this over to soccer, there should be executiuons.

This is a little off topic, but did anyone see the one Stealer TD yesterday where the WR goes up high in the back of the endzone to make the catch, and clearly only comes down with ONE foot in bounds (the other one is up in the air), then his butt comes down, again, clearly, with half of it in the green and half of it on the white OB? I commented about this yesterday in the Shout Box too.

This "highlight" has been playing on ESPN all day today, and I can't believe that no one is questioning it. After reviewing it closely on DVR, it looks like MAYBE his left leg's knee (same leg with foot that came down IB) hit the ground before his butt did, but because of his position (falling backwards onto his butt) the physics of that make it virtually impossible. It should not have been a TD.

Oh, and then there's the "no catch" in the Lions/Bears game by the Lions.

Bottom line is that the Refs/NFL continue to BLOW calls.

The CFL has instituted such a rule. I saw a receiver who felt he was wronged waving the "throw a flag" gesture.

He "received" an "objectionable conduct" penalty. I think it was 15 yards.

This must be a new rule in the last year or two. The CFL seems to be going the same over-officious route just like the NFL.

Interesting.

I thought you weren't allowed to use the ball as a prop, coordinate a celebration with other team members, or spike the ball. Then you see on the primetime NFL games "GRONK" gets an illegal pick gets the touchdown then goes on to spike the ball. Sometimes he even hands it to other players such as lineman to spike the ball.... and the announcers just laugh,,,,, or those say something along the lines of "Those crazy Patriots like to have fun huh" Could you imagine if Hughes got a fumble recovery and handed the ball to Mario and he spiked it.

The refs would probably throw their arms out of socket trying to throw the flag as fast as they could.