Dennis Thurman

RyanC883

With all the Rex bashing going on for the pathetic play of our defense (which, if you consider the talent, in my mind is the worst/most underperforming in the league)--where is the accountability for Dennis Thurman? At some point, Rex is going to need to be a HC, and let the DC be the DC. Personally I'd can Thurman, hire a real DC (Schwartz....come back, please!); and tell Ryan he is the HC. No more HC/quasi-DC.

Thurman apparently doesn't call the defensive shots. He merely occupies the position. If he is calling the shots, fire him. But Schwartz would never come here unless he has full control of the defense, which he won't with Rex around.

Give Rex an ultimatum. If he can't deal with it, both he and Thurman are gone. This is the worst defensive coaching job I've seen, it's worse than Wanny when you consider the talent level of this D.

JMO, but I get the feeling Thurman is just a puppet for Rex. I rarely see Dennis signaling in the calls but regularly see Rex doing it. It seems that for Rex to be a HC and handle all that comes with it, he still really only wants to coach defense, so he has a Yes Man serve that capacitiy. I've seen this before in my many years.

His father.

Thurman apparently doesn't call the defensive shots. He merely occupies the position. If he is calling the shots, fire him. But Schwartz would never come here unless he has full control of the defense, which he won't with Rex around.

Is this confirmed? or speculation? Just wondering who in the organization would say that?

The fact that Rex got a 5 year deal is starting to really scare me.

I'm starting to have buyers remorse

All guaranteed contracts are risky, especially for players counting against a cap. I prefer incentives as insurance. I blame injuries and a too complex defense that has not been learned yet.

According to Collision Low Crossers, Rex was intimately involved in the D in New York and I imagine it's the same here.

Thurman runs practices and certainly has input. But Rex is the de facto DC.

Schwartz was offered a job by Rex but turned it down because he wants to be an independent DC running his own show. He didn't want to have a vague title to help with Rex's show.

Rex won't give up his defensive philosophy (he's had good success with it over the years) and Schwartz won't give up his. I can't see the two working together.

The fact that Rex got a 5 year deal is starting to really scare me.

I'm starting to have buyers remorse

I feel ya.

According to Collision Low Crossers, Rex was intimately involved in the D in New York and I imagine it's the same here.

Thurman runs practices and certainly has input. But Rex is the de facto DC.

Schwartz was offered a job by Rex but turned it down because he wants to be an independent DC running his own show. He didn't want to have a vague title to help with Rex's show.

Rex won't give up his defensive philosophy (he's had good success with it over the years) and Schwartz won't give up his. I can't see the two working together.

This is exactly what bothered me from the very beginning about Rex Ryan and stated so in early threads. Schwartz demonstrated tremendous success in 2014, but Ryan stated from the very start that he was going to fix what was not broken. I saw that as a huge mistake, but gave him the benefit of the doubt. Now hearing what the defense is saying on top of the total lack of results, I am deeply concerned about the direction.