Rapid Reaction - 10 Observations About Today's Game

For some reason with missing key players. Roman's gameplan only used Clay once for seven yards. Did Harvin even get targeted?

Romans game planning for a couple of games is suspect. I guess no more silliness of him getting poached for A HC gig next season. if so. adios. Even with the weapons he had available today he was underwhelming getting his biggest threats involved. Not too mention the o-line will more than likely stink it up especially from the center to the right tackle for the rest of the season. i guess Whaley will be shopping for a running back this week again. IMO the boobster is a underwhelming back.

i approve of this message.

To me, Whaley is suspect for not adequately addressing the O-Line. Maybe he tried and did the best he could, I don't know how that works.

To me, Romain is suspect for not mixing his run and pass plays very well. Especially short passes. Other teams are emphasizing the quick-out passes that are all the rage in the league these days. It makes sense, isolate a WR on a CB, and develop the timing so that the QB can throw the ball before the WR even turns around. Impossible to defend.

It makes sense, isolate a WR on a CB, and develop the timing so that the QB can throw the ball before the WR even turns around. Impossible to defend.

While I agree quick timing patterns are difficult to defend, they are not "impossible". There are safeties, LBs, etc, who can poach the pass, you know. It helps the D if the CBs aren't playing off 10 yards--especially on short down conversions. I've seen just about enough of that.

1) The bottom line is that the Bills improved to 3-2, picked up another conference win and now have a critical showdown with the Bengals at the Ralph next Sunday.

Nobody calling the Whiner Line will enjoy this one, but you should. Ugly wins count just the same in the standings and today's was a double-bagger that still tastes far sweeter than a loss surely would have.

There is an old saying that says the worst sex I ever had was good. That philosophy applies to today's game, terrible win and it is good.

Rapid Reaction - 10 Observations About Today's Game

7) The plan was to run the ball, use short, controlled passes to move the sticks while protecting a young QB with limited NFL starts and play stout defense. It almost worked perfectly - for the Titans.

The Bills had a similar game plan, but they again sleepwalked through the first half where they didn't even cross midfield. You won't win many games in the NFL playing 30 minutues of offense or less.

You suckered me in with this one. :beer:

6) Denarius Moore we hardly knew ya. The recently signed WR and PR took back his first kick and immediately put the ball on the astroturf. That's not the way to lock down one of only 32 punt return positions in all of the league.

Let's hope that Marcus Thigpen didn't sublet his apartment yet.

I can't see how Moore is an upgrade over Thigpen, unless the plan is to use him as a tall WR once he learns some of the playbook.

5) Boom went bust, Boobie didn't flash and Cierre failed to give anyone Wood. The Bills need Shady and Karlos to get well soon.

No O-Line, no chance for the RBs, no matter who they are.

3) The Bills should fair catch every punt. Seriously. They must be the most penalized team in the NFL on punt returns. They start so many drives backed up to their goal line and it's a real momentum killer.

Seriously, whenever there is a punt, I wait for the flag.

One more...

11) Easley should be made to do push-ups in the aisle on the entire plane ride back to Buffalo.

The way the offense ran in the first 3 quarters, I have no confidence that we would have gotten any points out of that turnover, regardless of the fact that it would have given us the ball on their 2.

The way the offense ran in the first 3 quarters, I have no confidence that we would have gotten any points out of that turnover, regardless of the fact that it would have given us the ball on their 2.

The ever uninspiring Mike Rodak actually says the Titans recovered that kick in his latest column on ESPN.

While I agree quick timing patterns are difficult to defend, they are not "impossible". There are safeties, LBs, etc, who can poach the pass, you know. It helps the D if the CBs aren't playing off 10 yards--especially on short down conversions. I've seen just about enough of that.

This. 3rd and 3 off 10 yards. Bad plan.

1) Tyrod deserves the game ball. He carried the team on his back.

2) Rex's new defensive scheme doesn't make the front 4 look as strong compared to last year.

3) Great overall job by the defensive secondary as a whole

4) hopefully we get our offense going next week against a CRUCIAL game against Cincinatti @ HOME.

5) A win is a win. Just nothing to be proud about besides Tyrods guts and Gilmores interception to end the game.

Edited by gr8billsfan

As long as they stop fair catching within the 10, sure. Our coverage units have been dreadful.

Tyrod is playing too heady early and when they let him loose, he can singlehandedly win the game for us. Much like Colton Schmidt singlehandedly bailed out our lousy offense by booming those punts! Lol.

That rule of thumb is no longer the norm in the NFL. It used to be that you would not Fair Catch inside the 10, but since special teams aces are so talented at pinning the ball inside the one yard line and punters so good at dropping the kick inside the 5, teams prefer to have their returners FC as far back as the 5. This keeps you from starting a drive at the 6" line. This trend is also due to the increased catching ability exhibited by most punt returners. Unlike college and high school, these guys are nearly perfect at making a fair catch, so the risk (of a muffed punt) is negligible vs. the risk of starting inside the one yard line.

I don't know. It would seem that an early momentum TD would get the rolling, especially if they smashed a runner up the gut for the score. I thought the call was ticky tack, but I'm glad they simply reset and performed on the next play. Overall, I was pleased with their composure regarding calls.

2) Rex's new defensive scheme doesn't make the front 4 look as strong compared to last year.

4) hopefully we get our offense going next week against a CRUCIAL game against Cincinatti @ HOME.

5) A win is a win. Just nothing to be proud about besides Tyrods guts and Gilmores interception to end the game.

Re:2 you have to remember that Mariotta is a good runner and part of their scheme was to keep him contained. I thought they were exceptionally stout vs. the run and contained MM pretty well. The only bad play was the zone read that went for 20+ yards.

Too many plays that involved TT standing back and looking all over for a receiver to come open. Why not a quick read in the flats? It works for Brady and Eli (and just about every other team in the league), but for some reason the Bills can't make it work. Why not?

Im just going to scream this until Roman hears me or everyone blocks me... 4 concepts... Slants Drags Comebacks Flats.

He was mostly bad this game....but was strong at needed key moments which allowed us to win. I dont really think he carried the team on his back. He is promising though.

Agreed....I am really trying to understand the system differences that are not allowing our DL to do more. Once thing thought.......it seems to me that as our O improves our DL sack totals will probably go up. We need to play with LEADS so that their QB will be forced to hold the ball longer then 1.5 seconds.

No doubt

Cinci is a entirely different animal then the titans I dont care if that is a lebou defense or not.......the Bills are going to need to be VERY focused this next week.

Absolutely....while we as fans disect the hell out of players now.....the only thing that is going to show at the end is the scoreboard. It does make last weeks loss hurt because we could be 4-1 right now.