A day later, Rex changes tune on approach to penalties

YoloinOhio

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What people fail to realize is that coaches after to go back and go over game film before answering some questions presented by the media......

Never understood grilling a coach RIGHT after a game.

I do. Sharks go as soon as blood is released in water; it is instinct.

I took it to mean (just how I personally interpreted it) that he was proud of them for not laying down and getting blown out but for continuing to "fight" until the end. I didn't think he meant "fight" literally (though both teams took their shots with OBJ throwing a punch) because he said the same thing after the Pats* game. But with the emotion came the penalties, which he didn't like, but was trying to say he was proud of them for caring so much and not saying "oh well, its just not our day" and packing it in. I may not have said that well but that's kind of what I took from it.

I agree with your interpretation, the problem is the DID NOT fight, at least on defense, our billion dollar D-line was absent all day. I'll give the secondary props for fighting a hard game but most of the rest? meh.

As to the bad calls - boo hoo - good teams overcome that, bad teams make it worse. We made it worse.

Keeping my avatar a bit longer.

What people fail to realize is that coaches after to go back and go over game film before answering some questions presented by the media......

Yeah also Pegs and/or DW had a chance to lay into him Sunday night. I hope someone gave him the business about it.

This penalty issue is out of Rex' control, he is just a victim of circumstances.

Welcome to Goobers NFL*, this decline of officiating rests solely on him.

Imo

No, HC's primary job is to install discipline and teamwork. We got penalties because Rex is a lax coach, and when teams start playing sloppy and/or dirty the refs throw a flag on every possible infraction.

The thing that sucks with the two calls that negated the two tds was the fact that there was only one offensive holding call against the giants. Some of the replays showed Jerry Hughs getting bear hugged. So he is a dick and gets unsportsman conduct calls against him, so the refs don't enforce the rules in regards to him. The ref with 107 on his back was calling the game like he had money on the giants or eli on his fantasy team, They need to get their collective act together and beat the Titans weekend. The Bengals are coming in here after playing the seahawks, so they might take us lightly.

This just comes off like lip service to appease the masses after people were unhappy with his lack of accountability after the game. Why in the world would it take him another day to realize penalties are bad?

This penalty issue is out of Rex' control, he is just a victim of circumstances.

Welcome to Goobers NFL*, this decline of officiating rests solely on him.

Imo

Refs have always sucked. Remember when Andre Reed got a 15 yard penalty for standing up? Cost us a playoff game for crying out loud. Still burns up my stomach when I think about that chickensh*t call. Edited by Aaron

This just comes off like lip service to appease the masses after people were unhappy with his lack of accountability after the game. Why in the world would it take him another day to realize penalties are bad?

Refs have always sucked. Remember when Andre Reed got a 15 yard penalty for standing up? Cost us a playoff game for crying out loud. Still burns up my stomach when I think about that chickensh*t call.

it didn't take him a day to say penalties are bad. He didn't like them Sunday and he didn't like them on Monday. It was his approach that changed. Sunday he was proud of the team for the passion and hated the penalties, focusing more on having his players backs to the media than on laying out steps to address. Monday, he still hated the penalties but explained how he had taken steps with plans to address the team.

The bills didn't lose the game because of the personal fouls though they are what get fans the most upset because they are controllable.

Edited by YoloinOhio

*warning* Rodak article

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/21321/rex-ryan-changes-tune-on-bills-penalties-reaches-out-for-advice

Rex Ryan changes tune on Bills' penalties, reaches out for advice

Even at his post-game presser, didn't Rex actually say that the penalties needed to be fixed and would be addressed? The press was just too busy fluffing up the proud and fight parts to listen?

So I'm not sure Rex really changed his tune, more somewhat changed emphasis?

Even at his post-game presser, didn't Rex actually say that the penalties needed to be fixed and would be addressed? The press was just too busy fluffing up the proud and fight parts to listen?

So I'm not sure Rex really changed his tune, more somewhat changed emphasis?

yes, he did. Some people can't see that though because they can't believe he would ever be proud of anything the team did because they had too many penalties. Somehow this became that he was proud of the penalties. He never said that and it was clear he didn't mean that. He just had a more measured forward-thinking approach on Monday after taking a few breaths than he did immediately after walking off the field after a loss. Imagine that!

yes, he did. Some people can't see that though because they can't believe he would ever be proud of anything the team did because they had too many penalties. Somehow this became that he was proud of the penalties. He never said that and it was clear he didn't mean that. He just had a more measured forward-thinking approach on Monday after taking a few breaths than he did immediately after walking off the field after a loss. Imagine that!

i certainly did not take post game presser that he was proud that they had too many penalties. Who ran with that tag line? i took it that like the pats*** game the team didn't quit. newsflash Rex unless you're the Philbin coached Dolphins what team does quit? Most players and teams have pride. nothing new there.

IMO Ryan was trying to change the narrative when he was hammered with penalty questions. Instead of owning them like he should have after the pats*** game. he deflected to the BS that his team doesn't quit. While true, they also do not play smart. That is on Ryan and the " culture" the bully BS. it's on him. he owns that. rex has as much too prove to the fans, everyone as much as his team does. His lifetime coaching record is proof of that.

And taking Hughes for example he apparently has made zero attempt to correct his stupidity. it voes back to the former regime. In theory benching Hughes would have helped. he was invisible again out there anyways.

This is sooo much different than what Rex said about his own players, right? Cue the outrage ... Never mind.

@ProFootballTalk: Coughlin "disappointed" by Beckham's behavior, wants him to remain physical http://t.co/Z8pHWw5FY5

It is the difference between a coach who thinks and considers before speaking, and one with no impulse control. I honestly think Rex's lacking in this area can undermine his in game decision making.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah cause it's difficult to diagnose the stupidity of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties until the film is viewed.

Always thought Rex was all show. Didn't like him coming to Buffalo. Kind of changed my mind threw camp and preseason. Now I'm back to my first impressions. He can't control his team. They run the show . Not the coach. He might be a players coach but that doesn't win games and doesn't give you job security.

And that's why the Jets fired him.