A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Getting the ball out quicker than Brady will neutralize the rush no matter how we're bringing it.

Still, Eli barely broke 200 yards passing, that includes the 51 yard TD that Bradham should have stopped for no gain. The Giants were 3/15 on third down. The defense mostly did their job.

I'm as frustrated with the pass rush as anyone, and I still think with the right scheme we can get pressure on the QB quick enough to mess up his flow, but the lack of sacks doesn't tell all in this particular case.

It's not just sacks - it's pressure. You can pressure a QB without sacking him - make him uncomfortable, get in his face, make him move a bit, make him make mistakes. And yes you can do this in 2.5 seconds. There are games we are seeing none of that - just Brady and Eli standing there making throws, yes quick throws, but throws with absolutely no duress or pressure. The Dline/scheme should be able to get enough penetration/pressure to cause SOME semblance of discomfort for a QB SOMETIMES - even if they are getting it out quick.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 - Tyrod is waiting too long to either throw the ball or take off running. This has been the case since the Patriots game. To paraphrase from The Matrix, stop trying to do it and just do it.

I think this is an important point...One thing TT has to establish early in games is the fact that he will take off quickly...It will keep Defenses way more honest...All of a sudden it looks to me like he's only looking to run when he's gone through his progressions...And Defenses will take that any day...

I'm not saying he should run all the time...But something early in the game to establish the possibility is a big thing IMHO... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

It is absurd and I think it ruins the experience, especially for those trying to discuss the game between plays. Like the TV production that seeks to make these games all about drama and not about a game of strategies and tactics. Show me a friggin' sideline view of a team trying to get a sub package in or a replay, not the look of angst on a coach's face.

Thank you for the comfort of company.

The nauseating overproduction and constant manufactured "drama" is turning NFL broadcasts into more reality TV than football. Several of my friends who have spent their lives involved in the game have already abandoned the NFL. If this league continues to go down the road of 3 1/2 broadcasts that focus primarily on network promos, fantasy football, and the drama of officiating conferences and replays, I'm sad to say that I will be joining them sooner rather than later. :(

It's not just sacks - it's pressure. You can pressure a QB without sacking him - make him uncomfortable, get in his face, make him move a bit, make him make mistakes. And yes you can do this in 2.5 seconds. There are games we are seeing none of that - just Brady and Eli standing there making throws, yes quick throws, but throws with absolutely no duress or pressure. The Dline/scheme should be able to get enough penetration/pressure to cause SOME semblance of discomfort for a QB SOMETIMES - even if they are getting it out quick.

I know. But 1.79 < 2.5. Eli wanted to play the Brady way but was far worse. The defense could have been a little better, but let's face it, the Giants offense was not great and somehow our offense was way worse. The offense should have scored at least two more TDs, probably more, and they failed. And the penalties did hurt us on offense, really in all 3 phases. There are so many different points to address in this game, but without going too far off this pressure topic, I'll just re-state that the D-Line and the lack of pressure was hardly the problem yesterday.

It's not just sacks - it's pressure. You can pressure a QB without sacking him - make him uncomfortable, get in his face, make him move a bit, make him make mistakes. And yes you can do this in 2.5 seconds.

Yeah, but you can't do it in 1.7 seconds.

At that point it becomes the responsibility of DB's and LB's to play with a lot more chop and the responsibility of the DLine to get hands in passing lanes

Please explain how the two killer penalties, the arguable hold on Urbik or the phantom chop block by Incognito be in any way traced back to Rex and the team undisciplined.

Because all the personal fouls, whining, and histrionics by players like Hughes and Brown bias the referees to both teach us a lesson and attempt to maintain control of the game. Did Rex pull these guys out? I didn't see that. Did he punish them? No, he's proud of them. He sets that tone and players respond to it. Refs will crack down and call anything even close since Rex isn't taking control. Let's hope that changes this week.

Please explain how the two killer penalties, the arguable hold on Urbik or the phantom chop block by Incognito be in any way traced back to Rex and the team undisciplined.

I agree with you that the Urbik call was marginal and the Incognito call made little sense. But the bad calls and the aggravating over-officiating are present in all games. The games are difficult to watch because of the way the games are being called. There is little continuity and flow to the game. All teams have to contend with the capriciousness of the calls.

Because of the flukishness of the officiating the difference between winning and losing often comes down to playing smart. The after the play penalties on Hughes and Preston Brown were very damaging. This was a closely contested game. Although we didn't play especially well, neither did they. It was a very winnable game. The difference was the more mature manner in which the Giants played compared to the immature manner in which the Bills played. That is a function of coaching.

It's not surprising that our entertaining and quoteable HC found a player appealing who cold cocked a qb in the Jets lockerroom and broke his jaw. That player is currently serving a suspension for his thugish behavior. He is the type of player that Rex wanted on his roster.

Edited by JohnC

I'm 90% sure we don't even have a penalty problem. Look at the last 3 years.

When the coach sets a tone that causes the Bills to get a reputation for dumb play and the team plays dumb, refs look for things. If a ref is looking, they will throw yellow more than not.

In a perfect world, that's not true but refs are human.

Let's see Rex do more than the mouth breath stare when Hughes gets the second PF. 90% of the coaches in the league pull Hughes outand meet him at the sideline to give him a piece of their mind. Rex is a good guy and the players love him. What they don't do is respect his authority. He has to beg them to stop committing penalties. What kind of leadership is that?

Rex can call out Dan Carpenter by name but won't do the same to Bradham and Hughes. That's a bully mentality alright: Man enough to pick a fight with the little guy. Pv$$y.

Edited by Observer

A Grateful Dead reference? And it almost seems to be about football.

Anyway, I'm worried about Rex. Schwartz had this defense playing at a higher level and he wasn't doing anything exotic. Mostly we just lined up and balled. But we won our one-and-one battles and played smart. You don't need to out-scheme the other team when you can outplay them.