Cornelius Bennett - HOF chances

whiteboy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He also went to a Super Bowl with the Falcons.

I think people are dragging him down a bit. I thought he was incredible, and had a knack for big plays that is rare. To claim he didn't work hard is ridiculous, you don't get named the conference defensive player of the year TWICE without working hard. I think he had nagging injuries that may have effected his play-to-play effectiveness, but would lay it all out in critical situations. That is different than just coasting (to me anyway).

Pretty impressive resume.

I still don't think he has a prayer, especially because there are already so many Bills from that era in already. Ain't happenin'.

I think he's only about 5-7 Pro Bowl appearances short. :lol:

He was a great talent but he lacked the drive and determination to be a great player.

I respect the right of people to discuss these topics on this forum but he was a rampant underachiever and underproducer, not a HOF'er.

If he had worked on his game he could have been a true force because he was basically a full size pass rushing LB with 4.4 speed and tremendous agility.

We were always waiting for that breakout year......but it just never happened.

He did a much better job of playing to his ability late in his career from the ILB/MLB position where he could just flow to the football but his prime was a disappointment.

Huh?

He was the AFC Defensive Player of the Year TWICE. If that's not a "breakout year" I don't know what is.

Did you actually watch the Bills games that he played in?

Edited by HoF Watkins

His chances would be better if he didn't sulk about and eventually leave us over being asked to play inside linebacker. He would have made multiple Pro Bowls at that position. But he balked at not getting the recognition and bigger dollars of an edge rusher. Too bad.

GO BILLS!!!

Huh?

He was the AFC Defensive Player of the Year TWICE. If that's not a "breakout year" I don't know what is.

Ok then, I will tell you what is a breakout year.

The year that Bryce Paup put up after the Bills finally admitted that Biscuit was not improving as an edge rusher and moved him inside. :devil:

Playing across from Bruce Smith was a dream setup for the guy on the opposite side. Biscuit just never raised his game and as K-9 stated, when they finally moved him to a place where he could just run and hit he finally started playing closer to his potential but he didn't want the dirty job.

His chances would be better if he didn't sulk about and eventually leave us over being asked to play inside linebacker. He would have made multiple Pro Bowls at that position. But he balked at not getting the recognition and bigger dollars of an edge rusher. Too bad.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, he made some bad career moves. And like I said, he doesn't get involved much as an alumni, and that holds you back. Andre Reed was everywhere, promoting himself to get in to the HoF. I would hear him on LA and San Diego radio quite a bit. Not Bennett. I don't get the feeling he is well liked, in general.

Ok then, I will tell you what is a breakout year.

The year that Bryce Paup put up after the Bills finally admitted that Biscuit was not improving as an edge rusher and moved him inside. :devil:

Playing across from Bruce Smith was a dream setup for the guy on the opposite side. Biscuit just never raised his game and as K-9 stated, when they finally moved him to a place where he could just run and hit he finally started playing closer to his potential but he didn't want the dirty job.

Not really clever enough for an emoticon. Like, not really a "burn".

"We were waiting for something special, but all he could muster was AFC Defensive Player of the Year"...

He was recognized as the best defender in the AFC twice...those have to be considered "breakout years".

Edited by HoF Watkins

Yeah, he made some bad career moves. And like I said, he doesn't get involved much as an alumni, and that holds you back. Andre Reed was everywhere, promoting himself to get in to the HoF. I would hear him on LA and San Diego radio quite a bit. Not Bennett. I don't get the feeling he is well liked, in general.

Not really clever enough for an emoticon. Like, not really a "burn".

"We were waiting for something special, but all he could muster was AFC Defensive Player of the Year"...

He was recognized as the best defender in the AFC twice...those have to be considered "breakout years".

He was vastly overrated and given far too much credit very early in his career and just never progressed.

Sorry my point......that a career "good" LB in Bryce Paup was able to come in and rack up a sack a game and win the DPOY playing Biscuits position.....wasn't clever enough for you. :lol:

Politicking never hurts, certainly, but Andre's numbers when he retired stand out for his era. Biscuit just never achieved that kind of sustained production. He certainly had his moments; it's just too bad he didn't have enough to settle the question emphatically.

GO BILLS!!!

Come on guys. Even if he had a HOF caliber career, which he didn't, there is no way the HOF makes room for a NINTH member of a team that failed to win a Super Bowl (Wilson, Levy, Polian, Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Lofton, Bruce). It was a good run. Time to move on.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I have to agree that some people are selling the Biscuit short at this point. Although just a small clip, watch this youtube video starting at 22:50 mark. Keep in mind he was not benefiting from playing opposite Bruce during this time because Bruce was out the majority of this season. He could be an absolute force to deal with,,,

I do think his biggest problem was dealing with lingering injuries, not that he didn't have the heart

He was vastly overrated and given far too much credit very early in his career and just never progressed.

Sorry my point......that a career "good" LB in Bryce Paup was able to come in and rack up a sack a game and win the DPOY playing Biscuits position.....wasn't clever enough for you. :lol:

Bryce Paup was way more than "good". Paup played at a HoF level himself. He was incredible, but injuries completely derailed his career.

:death:

Edited by HoF Watkins

Politicking never hurts, certainly, but Andre's numbers when he retired stand out for his era. Biscuit just never achieved that kind of sustained production. He certainly had his moments; it's just too bad he didn't have enough to settle the question emphatically.

GO BILLS!!!

Politicking helps a lot for the borderline guys.

I stated right away that I didn't think he was a HoF'er, that they already have enough 90's Bills, and that it ain't happenin'. I just think some of the disparaging comments were off the mark. He definitely had seasons that were HoF caliber. Just not enough.

The mental image I have of Biscuit is him flying around the end of the O line with speed and agility, and slamming into a QB for a huge sack or forced fumble or slamming into a RB for like a 6 yard loss, getting to the RB about the same time the ball was handed off to the RB.

Tremendous speed, athletic talent, agility...the guy did some remarkable plays on occasion that other people simply can't do.

He was MOST CERTAINLY in the elite core of the Superbowl teams and as much a "star" of those teams as anyone.

He won't see the HOF though.

He has the same amount as HoF LB Andre Tippett. :death:

I wasn't a big fan of the Tippett selection but pass rushers get the nod and he was a steady pass rushing terror who got to the 100 sack milestone and I think he got a bunch of appreciation from voters because he toiled on a lot of otherwise awful Pats teams.

Tippett had a two year stretch where he ran up 35 sacks....half of Biscuits career TOTAL.

Biscuit never even had double digit sacks in a season, despite playing opposite Bruce Smith.

Where did I say that?

He wasn't just "good" he had great seasons (like Bennett), he just didn;t have enough of them, mainly due to injury. GFYS.

I quoted you...... "Paup played at a HoF level himself." :doh:

You need to not take this stuff so personal.

Paup was more effective because we'd replaced Walt Corey with Wade who moved Bennett inside where he played very well. Blaming Bennett for Walt Corey's inability to use his talent is horseshit.