Aaron Rogers is a bum

Turbosrrgood

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be fooled by his 5 TD, no int, 300 + yard night against a good defense... It was apparently a miserable performance.

PFF has graded him a -.8 for that game. The facts have spoken.

Gotta love the amateurish effort to grade a great QB performance by an Anal-ytics head.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

"Context is crucial with everything in football, and if you believe we are saying that Rodgers had a poor game last night because his grade has a minus in front of it, then let me set your mind at ease; I do not think Rodgers played a poor, subpar game last night and neither does anybody else at Pro Football Focus. Rodgers did his job last night, but his job was executing simple throws, putting the ball quickly in the hands of receivers like Randall Cobb in favorable matchups on short throws, and allowing others to do the heavy lifting.

But for a couple of poor plays, his overall grade would have matched the sort of grade that you would be expecting to see from him, but those poor plays, coupled with the relative ease of some of his scores mean his performance last night was far closer to average than it was to the fantastic performance the box score suggests. The context surrounding his grade is crucial.

The greatness of Rodgers’ performance last night was in the intangibles. Recognizing the blitz, drawing the defense offsides, catching the Chiefs in bad situations and exploiting those scenarios with simple passes to open receivers. But you cannot — and we do not try to — quantify intangibles, or what comes pre-snap. Our system grades what can be graded — the execution of the play post-snap — and in that regard Rodgers did not stand out in the same way that his statistics did."

"Context is crucial with everything in football, and if you believe we are saying that Rodgers had a poor game last night because his grade has a minus in front of it, then let me set your mind at ease; I do not think Rodgers played a poor, subpar game last night and neither does anybody else at Pro Football Focus. Rodgers did his job last night, but his job was executing simple throws, putting the ball quickly in the hands of receivers like Randall Cobb in favorable matchups on short throws, and allowing others to do the heavy lifting.

But for a couple of poor plays, his overall grade would have matched the sort of grade that you would be expecting to see from him, but those poor plays, coupled with the relative ease of some of his scores mean his performance last night was far closer to average than it was to the fantastic performance the box score suggests. The context surrounding his grade is crucial.

The greatness of Rodgers’ performance last night was in the intangibles. Recognizing the blitz, drawing the defense offsides, catching the Chiefs in bad situations and exploiting those scenarios with simple passes to open receivers. But you cannot — and we do not try to — quantify intangibles, or what comes pre-snap. Our system grades what can be graded — the execution of the play post-snap — and in that regard Rodgers did not stand out in the same way that his statistics did."

To cut to the chase, they should just say "Our grading system sucks!"

To cut to the chase, they should just say "Our grading system sucks!"

Right? If your grading system produces a negative result for a 5 TD, 0 INT, 300-yard performance in a convincing win, and requires that you issue a boatload of disclaimers to both (a) justify the grade, and (b) point out that the negative grade doesn't mean he played poorly, then your grading system is faulty at its core.

Haha they point to the fumble, which was overturned by a penalty, as a negative play. They have no idea what they are doing, that play doesn't even show up on the official stats because it never happened.

They brought Collinsworth in as part owner to lend some credibility to their brand...this type of stuff is going to make that task that much harder.

They should stick to collecting raw data; they're actually good at that.

I agree with the pff grading method in theory. I didn't watch most of the game yesterday so I can't speak to the grade on rodgers but it is technically feasible to play average or even bad and have a big day stats-wise.

Rodgers was masterful with execution and improvisation in carving up KC. The grade is pure nonsense!

I agree with the pff grading method in theory. I didn't watch most of the game yesterday so I can't speak to the grade on rodgers but it is technically feasible to play average or even bad and have a big day stats-wise.

It's possible to play poorly and put up good numbers, yes.

It's not, however, possible to have a dominant statistical day, on which a player accounts for all 5 of his team's TDs, does not turn the ball over, and eclipses 300 yards, all in a comfortable win against a top-5 pass defense (over the last 3 years) and play even average football.

Rodgers played to his usual fantastic standard yesterday. This grade is nonsense.

It's possible to play poorly and put up good numbers, yes.

It's not, however, possible to have a dominant statistical day, on which a player accounts for all 5 of his team's TDs, does not turn the ball over, and eclipses 300 yards, all in a comfortable win against a top-5 pass defense (over the last 3 years) and play even average football.

Rodgers played to his usual fantastic standard yesterday. This grade is nonsense.

technically, you're wrong...it is possible, but i'm assuming that wasn't the case yesterday

obviously a crazy hypothetical scenario, but say a guy goes 5/9, and all 5 completions are screen passes that go 70 yards each for touchdowns, and he throws another 4 horrible balls that are dropped by the defenders...would you say he had a great game?

again, an absurd example of course, but the reasoning PFF gives for their grading system makes sense

from seeing some highlights, it was his timing and accuracy that was incredible last night, not necessarily the degree of difficulty of the throws and him dropping them into tight windows, which i believe is what PFF measures

technically, you're wrong...it is possible, but i'm assuming that wasn't the case yesterday

obviously a crazy hypothetical scenario, but say a guy goes 5/9, and all 5 completions are screen passes that go 70 yards each for touchdowns, and he throws another 4 horrible balls that are dropped by the defenders...would you say he had a great game?

again, an absurd example of course, but the reasoning PFF gives for their grading system makes sense

from seeing some highlights, it was his timing and accuracy that was incredible last night, not necessarily the degree of difficulty of the throws and him dropping them into tight windows, which i believe is what PFF measures

Uh, they also gave him a negative mark for a play that technically didn't happen. The play was negated by a penalty but they graded him on it anyways. That's ridiculous.