NASA to announce "Major Mars Discovery" on Monday

Deranged Rhino

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is OK but the most intriguing places in the solar system are moons of Saturn that are ice capped and seem to have deep oceans beneath the surface. It would be unprecedented here on earth if life didnt exist in such environments. Mars imo is a waste and they keep trying to justify the costs with announcements of relative non- events.

Edited by JTSP

This is OK but the most intriguing places in the solar system are moons of Saturn that are ice capped and seem to have deep oceans beneath the surface. It would be unprecedented here on earth ig life did exiat in such environments. Mars imo is a waste and they keep trying to justify the costs with announcements of relatively non- events.

I'm less interested the oceans beneath the surface than the polar methane lakes. Finding life there would be amazing. It would open up so many more porobablilites for the existence of other "intelligent" life in the universe. Edited by sodbuster

I'm less interested the oceans beneath the surface than the polar methane lakes. Finding life there would be amazing. It would open up so many more porobablilites for the existence of other "intelligent" life in the universe.

isnt it highly speculative to think methane lakes can support life? with water there's massive precedent here on earth. anyway wrt water on mars, so what? they never said the significance beyond the water itself

isnt it highly speculative to think methane lakes can support life? with water there's massive precedent here on earth. anyway wrt water on mars, so what? they never said the significance beyond the water itself

Speculative, yes. HIGHLY speculative? I don't think so. Sagan went as far as to show that amino acids could be formed among the elements that they, at the time, knew were on Titan, and that was before we knew these elements existed in giant liquid pools on the surface.

The whole point is that it would be paradigm shifting, because we have constrained the search for life to objects that hold liquid water.

Speculative, yes. HIGHLY speculative? I don't think so. Sagan went as far as to show that amino acids could be formed among the elements that they, at the time, knew were on Titan, and that was before we knew these elements existed in giant liquid pools on the surface.

The whole point is that it would be paradigm shifting, because we have constrained the search for life to objects that hold liquid water.

Itd just be mind blowing to find it anywhere outside this plant so I'm looking for the path of least resistance