Rex Ryan defense "soft as puppy s**t" against Patriots.

Sorry if this is a repost, I looked and didn't find any threads with this article from Stephen White at sbnation.com.

"Rex Ryan's defensive game plan last Sunday against the New England Patriots was as soft as puppy ****. That's my big takeaway after watching the film.

I couldn't understand how the Bills could go from absolutely annihilating the Colts and Andrew Luck just a week ago, to turning around and giving up damn near 500 yards passing and 40 points in a loss to the Patriots. So I turned on the coaches tape to try to get to the bottom of how Tom Brady torched the Bills defense so effectively this weekend. The film tells me at least part of the reason for the Bills' disparate performances in their last two games was much less aggressive play calling from Ryan against New England. The eye in the sky don't lie.

And that friggin' sucks."

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/9/23/9375125/bills-patriots-tom-brady-rex-ryan-defense-breakdown

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this is a repost, I looked and didn't find any threads with this article from Stephen White at sbnation.com.

"Rex Ryan's defensive game plan last Sunday against the New England Patriots was as soft as puppy ****. That's my big takeaway after watching the film.

I couldn't understand how the Bills could go from absolutely annihilating the Colts and Andrew Luck just a week ago, to turning around and giving up damn near 500 yards passing and 40 points in a loss to the Patriots. So I turned on the coaches tape to try to get to the bottom of how Tom Brady torched the Bills defense so effectively this weekend. The film tells me at least part of the reason for the Bills' disparate performances in their last two games was much less aggressive play calling from Ryan against New England. The eye in the sky don't lie.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/9/23/9375125/bills-patriots-tom-brady-rex-ryan-defense-breakdown

Read that earlier and I :lol: at the soft as puppy :censored: line.

Rex explained his play calling for the D already... Why would you bring the house when Brady doesn't hold the ball long enough to get to him? F you bring more and get to him two or three more times, how much more would you give up??

But why did he have the corners so far the line of scrimmage?

Edited by CNY315

I sort of see it as Rex/Thurman taking a risk by calling the game this way. I expected some of this approach, but with a bit more exotic pressure. I thought Robey had a real chance to shine in coverage and blitzing. The pace of the offense and formations were working for NE, and Brady is nearly impossible to stop when he's on. Rex deserves some heat here. He was out-coached. If he dialed up a lot of pressure and Brady had torched them anyways, what would the review be on that? I think less scathing. Thus, it was riskier to play it conservatively. The lack of timely adjustments is concerning. The intensity with which NE was studying the pictures on the sideline was noticeable to me.

andy Benoit from MMQB broke down the game film on Twitter today and there was a lot of X and O explanations of why Rex's scheme of disguises didn't work with Brady, why pressure from the front 4 ended up being irrelevant, etc. He got the ball out in 1.7 second average, quickest in league, and knew all the pre snap reads. It doesn't advocate for what he did but discusses it and shows what did and didn't work. Some was execution. Also, in his 2 games thus far, Brady has faced blitz 26 times, and has a 73.1% completion percentage, 5 TDs, 0 INTs and a 141.5 passer rating. So blitzing more probably not the answer either. Edited by YoloinOhio

andy Benoit from MMQB broke down the game film on Twitter today and there was a lot of X and O explanations of why Rex's scheme of disguises didn't work with Brady, why pressure from the front 4 ended up being irrelevant, etc. He got the ball out in 1.7 second average, quickest in league, and knew all the pre snap reads. It doesn't advocate for what he did but discusses it and shows what did and didn't work. Some was execution. Also, in his 2 games thus far, Brady has faced blitz 26 times, and has a 73.1% completion percentage, 5 TDs, 0 INTs and a 141.5 passer rating. So blitzing more probably not the answer either.

I believe the Rex blitzing stat is much better than the rest of the leagues' on Brady, historically.

Edited by FireChan

Agree with article 100% Rex isn't a dummy so don't know why adjustments weren't made in the game. Was he being stubborn and sticking with his D scheme no matter what happened?

there were adjustments made, apparently. I'm no guru by any means, just going by what the film guys say. But the adjustments only worked in some cases, others the Pats* players made great plays.

Agree with article 100% Rex isn't a dummy so don't know why adjustments weren't made in the game. Was he being stubborn and sticking with his D scheme no matter what happened?

Maybe he had no plan B? it sure seemed that way. Not smart coaching against the super bowl champs. The D in what I saw never made any adjustments in 4 quarters. brady had multiple open targets on many plays. The Hoodie*** owns Rex.