Rex vs. Marv

dtgolder

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess the sample set is a bit larger now....17 penalties in the Giants game is simply inexcusable. No team can win with that many penalties.

This is so frustrating to see a game played like this...not something to be proud of.

The most troubling thing is that it seems the lessons of the NE game have been forgotten. Guess the Bills and Rex never really thought that a high number of penalties was a problem in the first place.

Rex was joking about it in the locker room after the Miami game, so it seems like he thought it was a one game anomaly and not a real issue that needed to be dealt with season long. Maybe this game will change his mind.

Edited by vincec

I thought that the sloppy play, penalties, etc, went away after the NE game. But they didn't. They showed up again yesterday. Worse, Rex Ryan dismissed them in his press conference yesterday after the loss. He actually blamed reporters for bringing the subject up.

Rex Ryan is a loud mouth clown.

That's just it though.

What happened between last week and this week?

I said that after the New England game, when Rex had everyone psych themselves right out of their focus & discipline.

I don't know WTF happened. They blew the doors off a bad Miami team, so maybe they got too confident? I still think there's a lack of player leadership. This isn't to gripe about cutting Freddy, but if he were here, I'll bet most of the penalties yesterday don't happen.

No matter what, Rex needs to get these guys under control. The game could've been tied going into the 4th quarter if they didn't pull off stupid sh*t like they did.

Exactly--Rex thinks this is fine.

Real issue here is the Bills are developing a reputation as an undisciplined, dirty team.

Once the Refs have that opinion, it is IMPOSSIBLE to shed, and you will get more penalties because of your reputation (and I think we are already past the point of no return here).

Getting the sense that we are now the laughingstock of the NFL with Rex, and the refs are willing to drop a flag on any questionable call.

"Hey--it's the Bills--of COURSE they are guilty!"

Guess the sample set is a bit larger now....17 penalties in the Giants game is simply inexcusable. No team can win with that many penalties.

This is so frustrating to see a game played like this...not something to be proud of.

The most troubling thing is that it seems the lessons of the NE game have been forgotten. Guess the Bills and Rex never really thought that a high number of penalties was a problem in the first place.

This is all you need to read.

According to Rex ....... “I’m proud of the way this team played. Can we play a lot smarter? Absolutely. But I’ll take a team that’ll fight over a team that will sit back and take it every day of the week and bring on the next team. Give me a team that’s got some fight and will compete to the very end right, wrong or indifferent no matter how good the officiating is or whatever.”

Exactly--Rex thinks this is fine.

Real issue here is the Bills are developing a reputation as an undisciplined, dirty team.

Once the Refs have that opinion, it is IMPOSSIBLE to shed, and you will get more penalties because of your reputation (and I think we are already past the point of no return here).

Getting the sense that we are now the laughingstock of the NFL with Rex, and the refs are willing to drop a flag on any questionable call.

"Hey--it's the Bills--of COURSE they are guilty!"

That is my biggest fear. The refs CAN call a penalty on every play for something. Give the refs the belief that the Bills are dirty and undisciplined and there is no reason to hesitate to pull out the yellow hankie. Reminds me of the Raider teams that, while they earned the reputation they had with the refs, it was a dead certainty that every "should I or shouldn't I" moment the refs had was going to go against the Raiders. I hope we don't end up in that situation.

Rex Ryan is a carnival barker.

Yes indeed.

I prefer to call him a snake oil salesman. His colorful personality and his ability to charm the media and fans have obscured the fact that he is not a very good head coach. I get the feeling Rex Ryan will be giving many post game press conferences where he says he was out-coached (because he frequently is). The Giants game was the most recent and it will certainly not be the last.

Terry Pegula and Doug Whaley and Russ Brandon will soon realize that they were duped by Rex Ryan's image and self promotion. He is nothing more than a .500 coach. (His twin brother is vastly overrated as a coach too as a matter of fact. )

The Giants game was Rex Ryan in a nutshell. Loud, boisterous, undisciplined, and just plain dumb. His personality has been stamped on the players. Smart wins games, not stupid Rex!

It was typical for Ryan to say how proud he was of his players after this dreadful display on Sunday. It was typical for him not to realize how flawed he is as a coach and "leader".

For those of you who say, "Relax, it's only 4 games." Don't forget Rex Ryan has been a head coach for 100 games and he has lost more games than he has won. This is not a small sample size. What makes you think that a tiger can change his stripes?

Rex is Rex. Big mouth, big personality and mediocre results. Get used to it. His act grew old in New York and it will grow old here too.

Coughlin is better than Marv, or Rex, and he is actually coaching in the NFL right now. I would much rather Ryan emulate Coughlin at this point.

What is relevant about comparing Ryan to Levy right now? Why try to impose Marv Levy's philosophies on to the current Bills? If you want coaching maxims, there are plenty from coaches far more accomplished than Marv Levy (who was very good).

Coughlin is better than Marv, or Rex, and he is actually coaching in the NFL right now. I would much rather Ryan emulate Coughlin at this point.

What is relevant about comparing Ryan to Levy right now? Why try to impose Marv Levy's philosophies on to the current Bills? If you want coaching maxims, there are plenty from coaches far more accomplished than Marv Levy (who was very good).

Only six times in NFL history has the losing team in the super Bowl gotten back the next year. Marv coached three of those. I always thought that fact showed how effective a leader he was because those players could have quit anywhere along that run and they didn't and I have put the credit for that in Marv's lap. I just haven't seen anything from Ryan that leads me to believe he is a good leader.

Now the situations are completely different of course so that must be taken into consideration in any discussion but Marv is the simplest comparison since most here are old enough to remember him and he is our guy and a Hall of Famer to boot.

Only six times in NFL history has the losing team in the super Bowl gotten back the next year. Marv coached three of those. I always thought that fact showed how effective a leader he was because those players could have quit anywhere along that run and they didn't and I have put the credit for that in Marv's lap. I just haven't seen anything from Ryan that leads me to believe he is a good leader.

Now the situations are completely different of course so that must be taken into consideration in any discussion but Marv is the simplest comparison since most here are old enough to remember him and he is our guy and a Hall of Famer to boot.

I said he was good, but Coughlin is better. Coughlin won Super Bowls with less talent than those Bills teams, and beat juggernaut Patriot teams.

Coughlin>Levy

There are many different coaching styles that can work, with each guy having his own nice sounding maxims.

"Don't confuse effort with results".

We're all frustrated after yesterday. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Rex just yet though. His press conferences admittedly are getting hard to take but he did take a Jets team to the playoffs (Twice maybe ? I forget) and I'm not sure those teams had the quality roster we have.

So lets hope the injury bug takes a break. A string of a few wins will cure all of this. The season is still young, fellas.

I said he was good, but Coughlin is better. Coughlin won Super Bowls with less talent than those Bills teams, and beat juggernaut Patriot teams.

Coughlin>Levy

There are many different coaching styles that can work, with each guy having his own nice sounding maxims.

"Don't confuse effort with results".

Hall of Fame is better than good and as to Coughlin being better, I won't agree to that but I will not say you are wrong for holding that opinion. Coughlin made half as many Super Bowls (in 19 years) as Levy (in 12 years) but won two while Levy lost four. And even if I were to concede Coughlin is the better coach, leadership and coaching are not the same. Leadership is a subset of coaching and I maintain Levy is the better leader. As to better overall coach the 2-0 vs 0-4 records in the Super Bowl can not be overlooked, especially since many agree Levy was beaten in the Xs and Os aspect of those games.

Edited by Coastie

Only contrasting the success of Levy "don't play dumb, don't play dirty" to Rex's "all dirty, all dumb, all the time" philosophy.

Not sure how Coughlin even entered into the conversation.

And agree with UDFA completely--refs are likely to pull the hankie without a second thought, and that's the real crime with Rex's philosophy...and that reputation may linger even after Rex is gone...

Only contrasting the success of Levy "don't play dumb, don't play dirty" to Rex's "all dirty, all dumb, all the time" philosophy.

Not sure how Coughlin even entered into the conversation.

And agree with UDFA completely--refs are likely to pull the hankie without a second thought, and that's the real crime with Rex's philosophy...and that reputation may linger even after Rex is gone...

People need to get over the 90's Bills. They aren't coming back.