Rex vs. Marv

dtgolder

So as I reflect and lament on the Patriots game, I'm left remembering one of Marv Levy's famous quotes:

"Don't play dumb, and don't play dirty"

And yet, with Rex we seem to be developing the exact opposite team--one that plays dumb and dirty.

Reading this article from the D&C (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/columnist/roth/2015/09/21/bills-lead-nfl-bluster-penalties-and-delusion/72575610/) it seem we now lead the NFL in penalties, and in stupid mistakes.

Come on--three penalties on a single play? (the onside kick at the end) and a taunting penalty on an extra point--after the OTHER team scored? News flash--normally you taunt after YOUR team scores. (Really can't believe that one...Aaron Williams I'd be putting you on the bench for the rest of the season after that play...)

Just have to think that we're on the wrong path here--Marv may not have won a Super Bowl, but his teams were disciplined, and took pride in what they accomplished.

They were never an embarrassment.

I don't want this Bills team to be remembered as a bunch of bullies--not a good image.

As a friend of mine and I were talking about Rex, he said it reminded him of what they used to say on "Fat Albert":

"He's like school in the summer."

"School in the Summer? How's that?"

"Nooooo class."

Rex may win every single press conference. Great. But isn't the point to win games?

Rex--time to call up Marv and ask for some advice...at the very least adopt his "don't play dumb, don't play dirty" mantra.

Edited by dtgolder

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex may win every single press conference. Great. But isn't the point to win games?

Rex didn't win the game and he certainly didn't win any press conferences. Both his pre-game press conference and his post-game press conference exposed him to be a complete, clueless, idiot.

Rex Ryan is a loud-mouth clown. And he always will be.

And while I'm here, TT has a very low ceiling as an NFL QB.

With Rex Ryan and TT this team will never be anything other than mediocre.

Just have to think that we're on the wrong path here--Marv may not have won a Super Bowl, but his teams were disciplined, and took pride in what they accomplished.

They were never an embarrassment.

Ah yes, Marv. I guess you never heard of the Bickering Bills? Or that lots of the team went out drinking the night before the Super Bowl?

"Come on--three penalties on a single play? (the onside kick at the end) and a taunting penalty on an extra point--after the OTHER team scored?"

Marv Levy used to say something else: "The fish rots from the head, down."

Marv may have been the coach of the bickering Bills but Rex Ryan is a loud-mouth fool whose special teams unit earned three penalties on one play. This is directly related to bad head coaching.

i forgot how much the rest of the world hates Rex until this past week. everyone was rooting for the Pats to whip us and shut Rex up and everyone hates the Pats so what's that tell ya? we've been the good guys for so long that it's tough to be the bad guys

Ah yes, Marv. I guess you never heard of the Bickering Bills? Or that lots of the team went out drinking the night before the Super Bowl?

I guess we're just supposed to forget about all those things and focus only on Marv's ability to spout off random WWII quotes. . .

I loved the guy as much as anyone, and his players clearly inherited his resiliency and competitiveness, but to suggest that they were well-disciplined and well-coached (at least from an Xs and Os standpoint), is laughable to many of us who distinctly remember those years.

Totally agree that Marv was outcoached in the SB games (certainly that was the case in the Giants game, and one could make a case he was outcoached in EVERY SB).

Yet--he was always 100% class. And even if there were some "bickering bills" that's quite different from the current Rex Ryan "bully bills", and there is *no way* the Bills will go anywhere if they remain undisciplined, and are the most penalized team in the league.

More often than not, games are won because of a few "pivotal" plays--a turnover, a sack, a critical penalty at the wrong time. Shooting yourself in the foot is never a good strategy.

So we'll see what happens next. But if the Bills post another 14 penalties vs. the fish we'll be 1-2 and staring at another year without making the playoffs.

Rex needs to get a handle on this (and on himself). I'm just concerned that the zebra may not be able to change his stripes (pun intended).

Edited by dtgolder

• 2 weeks later...

Guess the sample set is a bit larger now....17 penalties in the Giants game is simply inexcusable. No team can win with that many penalties.

This is so frustrating to see a game played like this...not something to be proud of.

The most troubling thing is that it seems the lessons of the NE game have been forgotten. Guess the Bills and Rex never really thought that a high number of penalties was a problem in the first place.

I guess we're just supposed to forget about all those things and focus only on Marv's ability to spout off random WWII quotes. . .

I loved the guy as much as anyone, and his players clearly inherited his resiliency and competitiveness, but to suggest that they were well-disciplined and well-coached (at least from an Xs and Os standpoint), is laughable to many of us who distinctly remember those years.

Marv's teams were by no means perfect and there are certainly instances where they made dumb mistakes but I remember those being the exception rather than the rule though 2 decades can blur memories. In the admittedly very small sample we have of Rex's Bills, dumb mistakes seem to be the rule, not the exception.

Edited by Coastie

Andre Reed of January 2, 1999 agrees with this thread.

Ouch.

Totally agree that Marv was outcoached in the SB games (certainly that was the case in the Giants game, and one could make a case he was outcoached in EVERY SB).

Yet--he was always 100% class. And even if there were some "bickering bills" that's quite different from the current Rex Ryan "bully bills", and there is *no way* the Bills will go anywhere if they remain undisciplined, and are the most penalized team in the league.

More often than not, games are won because of a few "pivotal" plays--a turnover, a sack, a critical penalty at the wrong time. Shooting yourself in the foot is never a good strategy.

So we'll see what happens next. But if the Bills post another 14 penalties vs. the fish we'll be 1-2 and staring at another year without making the playoffs.

Rex needs to get a handle on this (and on himself). I'm just concerned that the zebra may not be able to change his stripes (pun intended).

He wasn't outcoached in SB XXVIII, Thurman quit.