Tyrod Taylor's Height

DC Greg

I know there are a few threads discussing Taylor's play, but I wanted to hone in on one issue in particular. First, I think Tyrod played pretty well all things considered. I'm excited to see him bounce back next week. I hope this game was a good learning experience, and hope he'll be just fine.

That said, watching the game in person yesterday from the 300's (a good vantage point to see things develop), there were more than a few times when I saw him drop back and thought "I don't think he can see these routes developing across the middle of the field."

I don't mean this in the way that it was oft used to criticize EJ in that he couldn't "read" plays developing well, but literally that Tyrod could not physically see over the O-line and defenders at times.

Wondering if anyone else who was there or who could see routes developing on TV had that thought as well.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Passers like Brees, Wilson, and now Taylor rely on open passing lanes and proper timing to be effective from the pocket. We're going to need to incorporate more plays that suit Tyrod than we did yesterday. Seemed like the gameplan once we got behind was to have Tyrod do his best Brady/Manning impression and read the entire field from the pocket. That doesn't suit our QB or our offense imo.

Passers like Brees, Wilson, and now Taylor rely on open passing lanes and proper timing to be effective from the pocket. We're going to need to incorporate more plays that suit Tyrod than we did yesterday. Seemed like the gameplan once we got behind was to have Tyrod do his best Brady/Manning impression and read the entire field from the pocket. That doesn't suit our QB or our offense imo.

That's a good point. I agree with that. I think Roman is still figuring out how to use all of these new guys on offense. There is A LOT of talent. Hopefully they continue to gel.

That's a good point. I agree with that. I think Roman is still figuring out how to use all of these new guys on offense. There is A LOT of talent. Hopefully they continue to gel.

I feel like we really missed some opportunities by ignoring the portion of our playbook that contains the zone-read and the rollouts with pass/run options. Roman needs to watch some more Seattle tape and steal some of their waggle and rollout concepts

I feel like we really missed some opportunities by ignoring the portion of our playbook that contains the zone-read and the rollouts with pass/run options. Roman needs to watch some more Seattle tape and steal some of their waggle and rollout concepts

100%. We need to get him on the move and he should be coached that if the read isn't there to take off. I hope we see more of that soon.

I agree. Watching Seattle last night, too, they do good job of this and they also have QB bootleg as a regular playcall, which we'd be wise to use in key 3rd down situations considering we supposedly have the fastest QB in the NFL.

Exactly. Romans scheme is designed for QBs like Brady and Manning in height and awareness. The drop off in height from kaepernick to tyrod is a massive thing for Roman to adjust to and he needs to do it fast. Unfortunately the QB competition didn't give him much time to do it in the offseason.

as i mentioned in another thread, Tyrod works best from outside of the pocket mainly due to his height. he literally cannot see where he is throwing at times and that's scary. Russel Wilson is the same type of player and because of this Pete Carroll has a lot of designed roll outs and plays where he moves the pocket so that Wilson can get a better throwing angle/view. if Tyrod is going to want to escape the pocket like he did yesterday then I think Roman should be calling plays that will allow him to do so, otherwise he's going to run himself right into a sack as he did multiple times yesterday

I believe the team is in a similar situation as Seattle in 2012. If you saw the early Russell Wilson games, especially the first 4-6 of his career, there would be times when he would flash, and times where you would say "no way will this kid ever be able to make throws from the pocket."

Tyrod is more experienced (in terms of service time) and has much better skill players than RW in 2012. But it is going to be a learning process and we need to see he and Roman make the necessary adjustments.

I do think that there's some inherent issues with his height but I think I was a bit too harsh on Tyrod during the game for some of it. He's still going to be the same height no matter what, the scheme has to adapt for him.

I do think the high throws that got picked are because of the combination of his height, his arm trajectory and his protection. Too much loft because he has to get them over his OL.

The reason that Wilson thrived (and Tyrod is not, by any way, shape or form Russell Wilson) is that Bevell's scheme is exactly tailored to Wilson's strengths. Tyrod at least has the smarts to assume more responsibility, let's give it to him.