Tyrod Taylor's Height

DC Greg

I know there are a few threads discussing Taylor's play, but I wanted to hone in on one issue in particular. First, I think Tyrod played pretty well all things considered. I'm excited to see him bounce back next week. I hope this game was a good learning experience, and hope he'll be just fine.

That said, watching the game in person yesterday from the 300's (a good vantage point to see things develop), there were more than a few times when I saw him drop back and thought "I don't think he can see these routes developing across the middle of the field."

So what you are saying it is easy for him to do some plays because opposing team has trouble seeing him behind the line. Good to know.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His height was certainly one of the big concerns for him and how he projected as an NFL QB. It worries me a little. But we have seen Wilson be successful and he is shorter.

His height doesn't worry me in the least. The guy makes plays and he put up 32 points on the NE defense. They are a good defense and gave Rothlesberger problems as well. Anyone think he's too short?

I feel like we really missed some opportunities by ignoring the portion of our playbook that contains the zone-read and the rollouts with pass/run options. Roman needs to watch some more Seattle tape and steal some of their waggle and rollout concepts

Of all the people on the Bills coaching staff, who do you think is most familiar with Seattle's film?

Who was in charge of running the scout team?

I would assume an offensive assistant, such as the OL coach, or the defensive assistant who knows what looks they want the defense to prepare for. I would also assume that the OC is specifically focused on installing the game plan for their offense against the opposing D, not on coordinating a mock look for the defense. However, I don't know the specifics of the 49ers organization, so if you know better please enlighten me.

I would assume an offensive assistant, such as the OL coach, or the defensive assistant who knows what looks they want the defense to prepare for. I would also assume that the OC is specifically focused on installing the game plan for their offense against the opposing D, not on coordinating a mock look for the defense. However, I don't know the specifics of the 49ers organization, so if you know better please enlighten me.

I was commenting on the flippant observation that Roman needs to watch more Seahawks film, when he's the guy on the coaching staff who's watched the most Seahawks film over the last three years.

If anything (as I remarked last week) Roman's handling of TT is virtually identical to how Seahawks brought Wilson along in his rookie year. They did not throw the kitchen sink game plan at him from the start - he threw more than 25 passes only twice in the first eight weeks. Perhaps Roman was willing to sacrifice the game to instill better QB fundamentals in TT to make plays from the pocket. Now that TT failed the test in the first half, he adjusted slightly in the second half and it paid off.

I expect gradual improvement and a bigger play book once TT gets his sea legs back. Kind of exactly what Seattle did with Wilson.

I was commenting on the flippant observation that Roman needs to watch more Seahawks film, when he's the guy on the coaching staff who's watched the most Seahawks film over the last three years.

If anything (as I remarked last week) Roman's handling of TT is virtually identical to how Seahawks brought Wilson along in his rookie year. They did not throw the kitchen sink game plan at him from the start - he threw more than 25 passes only twice in the first eight weeks. Perhaps Roman was willing to sacrifice the game to instill better QB fundamentals in TT to make plays from the pocket. Now that TT failed the test in the first half, he adjusted slightly in the second half and it paid off.

I expect gradual improvement and a bigger play book once TT gets his sea legs back. Kind of exactly what Seattle did with Wilson.

I can understand hoping for this...but expect? It's anything but a given.

And my response was that his focus was much more heavy on their defense than their offense. He should go back and watch more of their offense because his gameplan was awful for a QB with Tyrod's skillset yesterday.

And my response was that his focus was much more heavy on their defense than their offense. He should go back and watch more of their offense because his gameplan was awful for a QB with Tyrod's skillset yesterday.

And if you look at the rest of the response you'd see that Bills game plan with TT mirrored what Seattle did with Wilson early on. He wasn't asked to throw the ball 30 times/game early on. Seattle's D, however, didn't give up 40 points so there wasn't a need. There are a lot more parallels to Wilson than not, and it's silly to suggest that Roman needs to watch more film of the Seahawks.

And if you look at the rest of the response you'd see that Bills game plan with TT mirrored what Seattle did with Wilson early on. He wasn't asked to throw the ball 30 times/game early on. Seattle's D, however, didn't give up 40 points so there wasn't a need. There are a lot more parallels to Wilson than not, and it's silly to suggest that Roman needs to watch more film of the Seahawks.

How often was Wilson asked to sit in the pocket and make full field reads instead of rolling out and moving the pocket? Yesterday's gameplan did not fit the pieces we have on offense, and we still somehow managed 32 points.

His height is an issue because he is going to miss potentially open players because he can't see them. The two tackles are 6-6 and 6-7. The guards are 6'3 and 6'2 and the center is 6'4. It limits his field of vision. Cassel and Manual are 6-4. With Height comes longer arms.

How often was Wilson asked to sit in the pocket and make full field reads instead of rolling out and moving the pocket? Yesterday's gameplan did not fit the pieces we have on offense, and we still somehow managed 32 points.

The Indy game is a lot more indicative in how Roman plans to bring Tyrod along, and he managed just fine. Wilson never had to face a 24 point second half deficit in his rookie year.

I agree. Watching Seattle last night, too, they do good job of this and they also have QB bootleg as a regular playcall, which we'd be wise to use in key 3rd down situations considering we supposedly have the fastest QB in the NFL.

I cannot understand why we don't run play action boot with TT. We've got an athletic QB, we have an athletic pair of TE's. We have receivers with speed who can work from the backside of the play back across with the QB. To be honest, I thought they didn't show that week 1 so that it was saved up for week 2 against Beli**.

The Indy game is a lot more indicative in how Roman plans to bring Tyrod along, and he managed just fine. Wilson never had to face a 24 point second half deficit in his rookie year.

That's true. I still don't see why you'd take your QB out of his element like they did Sunday, but I'm also not an NFL coordinator :lol:

Passers like Brees, Wilson, and now Taylor rely on open passing lanes and proper timing to be effective from the pocket. We're going to need to incorporate more plays that suit Tyrod than we did yesterday. Seemed like the gameplan once we got behind was to have Tyrod do his best Brady/Manning impression and read the entire field from the pocket. That doesn't suit our QB or our offense imo.

It may not suit him, but the pocket is the only vantage point that offers a QB the entire field to operate in. Rollouts, moving pockets, etc., work once in a while, but it makes it much easier on the defense when they only have to defend a third to half of the field. Good DCs will feast on that.

I'm afraid the entire league saw how to defend Tyrod yesterday. Until he beats teams from the pocket on a consistent basis, we are gonna see more and more stacked lines and pressure packages up the middle while edge rushers maintain discipline to keep him in the pocket.

GO BILLS!!!