Game Plan

Kirby Jackson

I hate to say "I told you so", but check the threads. I said Dion Lewis was gonna hurt us coming out of the backfield. Also spoke of the quick passes to him and Edelman. Maybe Rex could've played Rambo and sat Bradham? Every time we had Brady in a bad situation, they went to the Lewis/Bradham matchup. As far as Tyrod is concerned, are teams gonna make him make throws across the middle? Both INTs were throws in the middle of field and both were high passes.

Yup. They need to bump and run those little WR's. Even if they are off the line they need to be hit early. They line up Gronk out wide and the Bills refused to bump and run the slot guys all day. Too easy.

How about the def. ends start jumping and trying to bat down Brady's quick throws instead of trying to sack him. I remember the Bills employ that tactic in the past and caused Brady to throw INTs on tipped passes at the line.

As I said in the other thread Rex out thought himself. The Patriots offense feasts on mismatches. All the disguise Rex was trying ended up with too many plays where Brady wasn't confused had diagnosed what was happening and because we had people in funky positions had a mismatch that he liked. Hughes, Robey, Bradham all had plays where they were left 1v1 on Gronk. That should never happen.

We should have been more vanilla today, picked our match ups defensively and then pressed at the line. Blitzing more isn't the answer - but dictating to them on the coverages and not the other way around was. Rex basically waved a white flag from the start that our D which is great couldn't beat them on talent and so would have to beat them on scheme. The scheme nullified our talent and didn't let our guys play.

As I said in the other thread Rex out thought himself. The Patriots offense feasts on mismatches. All the disguise Rex was trying ended up with too many plays where Brady wasn't confused had diagnosed what was happening and because we had people in funky positions had a mismatch that he liked. Hughes, Robey, Bradham all had plays where they were left 1v1 on Gronk. That should never happen.

We should have been more vanilla today, picked our match ups defensively and then pressed at the line. Blitzing more isn't the answer - but dictating to them on the coverages and not the other way around was. Rex basically waved a white flag from the start that our D which is great couldn't beat them on talent and so would have to beat them on scheme. The scheme nullified our talent and didn't let our guys play.

This, this and this!! Perfectly said Gunner

games like these are why i don't gamble on the NFL.. i thought this would be a low scoring game because our D would do a good job limiting Brady's options, and Belichick would confuse and contain Taylor. i'd say our D took nothing away from them - while our O at least drew even. yes, Taylor made mistakes- but he also made plays. along with strong efforts from Shady and Watkins.

I'm just very surprised and disappointed with our defensive game plan. it appears that Rex thought he was facing an attack that let it's QB sit in the pocket more than 3 seconds. This is not the way Brady plays. he looks for his mismatch at the los after reviewing the D personnel, and makes his decision where to go with the ball. i don't believe he even gives himself a progression of receivers to read through, at this point. today, when the play wasn't there within a couple seconds, he often threw the ball in the ground. i think the CBS announcer made mention of Brady describing this to him prior to the game. it didn't register what he (Gannon?) was saying, until i realized what i was seeing.

So how did Rex not account for the quickness of this attack? why didn't he know that his pass rush could not be effective without disrupting Brady's timing.. and doing that would require his cover people to challenge Brady's receivers' release from the los?

either complement the pass rush with aggressive coverages, or back men off, and play more short zone.. it looked to me like he was trying to have his cake and eat it, too - try to create a pass rush while playing variations of man under zones that might contain Brady's choices. 470 yards later, we saw how that worked out.

not to be a total downer.. this is only the second game of the season, and the rest of the league now has two examples of how NOT to defend Brady this season. and keep in mind, these guys are champs because they have the coaches and personnel to adapt their games where other teams don't. we're still solid.. humbled.. but solid. shoot, this is the nature of Rex coached teams..

As I said in the other thread Rex out thought himself.

The scheme nullified our talent and didn't let our guys play.

Exactly.

It's VERY simple.......if you don't press the receivers you don't give your DL an opportunity to impact the play against Brady.

I think we were all stunned by the defensive gameplan. Words can't express the stupidity.

Completely agree.

The offense in the 1st half was absolutely mind boggling. The first offense drive had 7 runs, McCoy/Williams looked very good. The Bills were up 7-0, they stop the Pats** with a 3 and out. The next series: Run, Pass, Pass. The Pats** march down the field and score. It's 7-7. Next series for the Bills: Pass, Pass, Pass. You get the idea. After the first series the Bills ran the ball 6 times. It was odd.

While watching our front four try (and fail) to generate pressure I couldn't help but have flashbacks of Wannstedt. It was honestly that bad of a game plan. Way too much passing on 1st down, especially in the 1st half when the game was still close.

I can't help but wonder a tad if Rex has got his head round the fact that this is the best defense talent wise he has had certainly since leaving the Ravens.

You could make a case for the 2009 Jets. Their LB core was far superior to ours and they had the best corner in the game. They also had an All-Pro NT (Jenkins) and Ellis was no slouch either.