Sammy - Time for this dude to start playing ball.

jumbalaya

Last ten regular season games - 30 catches and 2 TDs. Those are numbers for a 4th round pick, not a guy that cost two no. 1's. Outside of an 84 yard bomb ten games ago his average per catch is below average. Only one game with more than 4 catches.

He is starting to look like the second coming of Lee Evans, not Andre Reed.

The excuses are getting old too:

1. He was covered by one of the best corners in the league

2. He was double covered.

3. He is hurt.

4. He had Orton throwing to him.

5. He has Taylor throwing to him.

6. He is a better decoy.

7. Rex likes to run.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see more than one game in this new system before we worry about Sammy.

That said, I agree, there is growing unrestful chatter about Sammy, and I get it, put-up-or-shut-up time is coming sooner than later. A big game against New England and being a major factor in a win, which I think is a very real possibility, would be a definitive "put up." (I hope so anyway, I reached for him in Fantasy and another dud week in a row will kill me.)

Did you watch the last game? One target and that was over thrown to him. Do you want Tyrod throwing into double coverage. Come on, we have a lot of weapons on this team. Take what they give us. It will eventually open up. The only thing I might do more is move him around and run more of the rubs and picks like the Pats do.

Last time I looked Sammy doesn't setup the game plan, or throw to himself! If you have one of the best offensive weapons in the NFL you should find ways to get him the ball. To me, it is disappointing that the team gave up 3 draft picks, 2 #1's and a 4th for a guy they use as a decoy or don't bother throwing to him because he is so well covered.

I'm pretty sure opposing teams roll their coverage's and at times triple team players like Julio, Megatron, Dez, Antonio, Odell, Demaryius, TY, AJ and some of them even have bad games from time to time. But for the most part those players make big plays, and score a lot despite what opposing teams try to do to stop them!

From a fantasy stand point when you have read that Rex Ryan has stated the team will run the ball more then any other team has ever run the ball, and that Greg Romans run game playbook is bigger then any other run game playbook in history of the NFL. Last game 19 attempts passing vs 36 rushes is doing exactly what the HC said they would do. You have to think that this years Bills team is not going to throw the ball 40+ times a game like they did last year.

When you have Clay, Harvin, Watkins, Woods, and McCoy out of the backfield then divide 19 by 5 you get 3.8. Then if you break down the targets Harvin 5, McCoy 4, Clay 4, Woods 2. Felton 1 incomplete, Watkins 3 targets all incomplete.Those 3 targets to Sammy one was overthrown, one was tipped, and one was into good coverage.

About the only way Watkins is going to be a top WR in fantasy this year is for TT to ignore all the other weapons and just throw to Sammy or should the team always get behind in points then try and play catch up by passing it. Another factor to consider is all the Bills WR's were out with injuries, and didn't see a lot of playing time in pre season for any QB to get in sync with them.

Now granted Anquan Boldin has had 80+ receptions, and over 1000 yards the last two seasons at San Fran. So Sammy could possibly emerge as a dominate passing threat at some point, I guess we just have to wait and see.

Edited by Nihilarian

To me, it is disappointing that the team gave up 3 draft picks, 2 #1's and a 4th for a guy

This isn't correct. We didn't "give up" 2 first round picks. We gave up one and used the other to move up. Gave up two as you said implies the Bills lost 2 first round picks which is completely untrue.

What a bunch of nonsense. Do you actually watch him? There's a reason he's consitently double teamed, often still demanding the best cb. Maybe you just don't like having lots of good skill players?

I agree with the poster. The best receivers in the game get open regardless of coverage. Marvin Harrison. Andre. Jerry Rice. Calvin Johnson. Etc. They all get/got doubled. Even tripled on occasion and still caught footballs. Sammy needs to step it up in the next couple of weeks or its gonna start being an issue.

This isn't correct. We didn't "give up" 2 first round picks. We gave up one and used the other to move up. Gave up two as you said implies the Bills lost 2 first round picks which is completely untrue.

From my point of view the team used the 2014 first round pick to move up to draft him, and traded away the 2015 first round pick along with a 2015 4th round pick all to obtain one player. That's 3 draft picks for one player.

"The transaction ultimately broke down like this: The Bills moved up to No. 4 overall by dealing their 2014 first-round pick, No. 9 overall (one #1 pick), to the Browns along with first (one #1 pick) - and fourth-round (one #4 pick) selections this year. Those picks ended up being No. 19 and No. 115 overall after the Bills’ 9-7 season." http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/04/28/was-trading-up-for-sammy-watkins-worth-it-what-the-numbers-some-pundits-say/

If the team didn't use those three picks all on Sammy Watkins, then tell me who were they used on? Does the team have another 1st round player from 2014 or 2015 hiding somewhere?

Edited by Nihilarian

From my point of view the team used the 2014 first round pick to move up, and traded away the 2015 first round pick along with a 2015 4th round pick to obtain one player. That's 3 picks for one player.

"The transaction ultimately broke down like this: The Bills moved up to No. 4 overall by dealing their 2014 first-round pick, No. 9 overall (one #1 pick), to the Browns along with first (one #1 pick)- and fourth-round (one #4 pick)selections this year. Those picks ended up being No. 19 and No. 115 overall after the Bills 9-7 season." http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/04/28/was-trading-up-for-sammy-watkins-worth-it-what-the-numbers-some-pundits-say/

If the team didn't use those three picks all on Sammy Watkins, then tell me who were they used on? Does the team have another 1st round player from 2014 or 2015 hiding somewhere?

Using the term "gave up" as you did implies the Bills gave away 2 first round picks and only got one back in return. They used one to draft Watkins that if they kept the pick they would've drafted another player. So they didn't give up two first rounders. They exchanged firsts and gave up one first rounder the following year.

Using the term "gave up" as you did implies the Bills gave away 2 first round picks and only got one back in return. They used one to draft Watkins that if they kept the pick they would've drafted another player. So they didn't give up two first rounders. They exchanged firsts and gave up one first rounder the following year.

Anyway you look at it its still three draft picks for one player! Two #1's and a 4th. I just don't see it any other way.

Let's settle on the terminology that the team "used 3 picks to acquire" Sammy.

As to his effectiveness, he drew multiple coverage guys about 90% of the time he was running routes, opening the field for others. When he was singled up, he was open for fun (watch the All-22 and see for yourself). He was dominant in the run game blocking-wise.

He IS the guy that opponents have to game plan for; that's a wonderful thing.

I'm confused, is the OP complaining he doesn't catch enough balls or doesn't do enough with the catches he has made? If it's the latter, over the 10 game stretch, as you correctly pointed out, Sammy Watkins has had 30 receptions. What you didn't point out was that those 30 receptions went fro 549 yards. That's 18.3 YPC, which would have been good for 2nd in the NFL in 2014.

If your complaining that he doesn't get enough catches, I would hope you realize he isn't the guy designing game plans and he isn't the guy throwing the ball. He can't throw the ball to himself. Should he be getting the ball more? No doubt he's an explosive player but that's Romans job to get him the ball. Sammy gets open, watch the all-22, Tyrod and Roman just have to go his way.

Edited by Wayne Cubed