Just watched the Colts game replay on nfl gamepass

Lothar

That officiating crew was number 1 in the NFL las season in holding penalties called. It was towards the bottom in pass interference penalties called.

I personally think we got away with a few PIs that game, lots of hooks by our guys, that I expect to have called in future games.

I was thinking the same thing last night while watching the Eagles-Falcons game. Jones had like 10 catches for 100 something yards and 2 tds. Clearly, the Eagles would have focused on stopping him. Sammy is just as talented as Julio--he should be getting his catches no matter who the opponent or CB covering him. Last year the All 22 revealed even Revis had trouble staying with him. I understand this week using him to draw away coverage worked well, but I still want him to get the ball somehow. Then again, we have so many playmakers it's ridiculous. But I for sure don't want Sammy to be a decoy. He will NOT be happy with this happening frequently, despite what he says about if the team is winning, he is all good.

That's what my initial thought was. I've rewatched the Texans and Chargers game from last year and they seemed much much worse than this past Sunday. A few times guys came in free on Tyrod and he out maneuvered them, but those two games last year EJ was bombarded from everywhere constantly.

I didn't see the entire game, but Jones was doing a ton of damage against single man coverage. At one he went in motion, no one followed him, and then he lined up in the slot with no one covering him. The eagles were showing blitz and I knew they were going to Jones. He ran a quick out and got a first because they weren't covering him. It was horrible defense by the Eagles, it was like they weren't game planning against him at all. His second TD was on a go with no safety help.

From what I've heard and can tell (Haven't seen All-22), the Colts had their best corner and a safety over the top almost all game against Sammy. It sucks he wasn't involved and I think they should find a few ways to get him involved, but if other teams are going to use two players to take away sammy, including the best corner, then the best matchups are going to be away from Sammy.

Was it really that bad? Damn, that's not good. Well, hopefully we will be in a position this offseason to really be able to focus almost solely on OLine through draft and maybe FA, but probably higher draft picks. Although I want to see how the line improves throughout the season.

Roman is pretty good with o lines. If it was really that bad and they still won so handily, man that is great news. I didn't see them get a whole lot of heat on Tyrod, so I am surprised folks saw such poor play.

Both guards are better than last year AND the bookend guys are frequently described by the coaches as solid players so let's hope it's just a teamwork thing.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I think Henderson is a bad player. He seems to get a pass because he has outperformed his seventh round draft slot, but there's a reason he was taken in the seventh round, and it wasn't the weed. I hope he improves, but right now he is not good.

Bear in mind that people here were high on seventh rounder Terence Pennington too because he started as a rookie. He lasted all of one and a half seasons in the NFL despite starting at RT for most of his rookie season.

Edited by dave mcbride

4 things that jumped out to me after a quick review:

1. I really think that the crowd unnerved Luck. He seemed to have more time than Taylor (despite seeing blitzes through most of the game.) I was actually surprised that he didn't do a little better given that time. I know we're all thrilled at the outcome - and I'm sure the fact he threw the ball early made it seem worse as far as the pass rush goes - but the few times he had wide open receivers (like Gore on that screen pass early in the game which would have gone a loooong way if he didn't overthrow), he flubbed it.

I'm pretty sure this was by design. Luck is one of the best when it comes to dealing with blitzes, but the Bills seemed to look at getting pressure up the middle. Pretty much all of their blitzes were up the middle. Also, look at Mario and Hughes. They did not have very many plays where they went "inside". They were keeping contain while the Bills brought pressure from inside. I don't think the defensive scheme called for "hitting" Luck, but getting in front of him so he couldn't step up and containing so he couldn't move around.

Edited by jeremy2020

I personally think we got away with a few PIs that game, lots of hooks by our guys, that I expect to have called in future games.

The officiating crew that did the game is one that is known for letting some physical play go on with the wideouts but calls more holding penalties. They stayed true to form.