Week 2: Patriots' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't know, Bandit. Just like our rushing schemes rely on having a top-notch 2ndary which can handle an "island paradise", the Pats offense really relies on having 2-3 "go to" guys who they rely on to beat any coverage. Gronk, Edelman, and the RB or possibly Amendola or Chandler. I don't know what they'll use, but I'm sure they showed that 4 TE and 3 TE/1 FB formation last game for a reason.

Thanks, Bandit, I was unclear when I said "other two TE", I essentially meant "other TE besides Gronk and Chandler". We know Chandler is strictly "meh" on the blocking unless something big has changed.

I have zero fear of that 4-TE look, as only 2 of those guys have any prayer of beating coverage, so in my mind it's strictly a run front. Unless it's short-yardage, there's going to be way too much traffic to run inside, so as long as our secondary is capable of turning plays back toward the interior, that formation is a non-starter IMO.

Shoutout to Scott and TBD! :thumbsup:

But one fan who emailed this week -- Scott Sarama, a longtime and well-informed Bills supporter who founded the fan website TwoBillsDrive.com -- said Taylor's performance gave fans evidence-based hope that the team has finally landed a worthwhile young quarterback.

"He acted like his normal self during it -- he's always pretty cool and calm," Wood said of Taylor. "I don't think many moments will be too big for that guy."

remember a couple years back? was it the jets? Maybe it was the rookie/late draft?? RT who had graded poorly. Playing against Mario ?

I'm a bit senile with details.

But Mario did not dominate as expected. Bill makes the low level players look good enough. As a whole group. If we focus on the center now, he will counter.

These are two major coaching minds about to tee off.

I remember that game (but not the name of the Jets tackle). What I remember is the tackle having his hands up in the face of Mario all day with no calls. Mario was at an unfair disadvantage with his helmet pushed up or sideways on several plays that day.

I'm usually okay with officiating. I don't expect the refs to get every call right, but the Jets O-line could do whatever they wanted on that day.

I have zero fear of that 4-TE look, as only 2 of those guys have any prayer of beating coverage, so in my mind it's strictly a run front. Unless it's short-yardage, there's going to be way too much traffic to run inside, so as long as our secondary is capable of turning plays back toward the interior, that formation is a non-starter IMO.

I think it's a pretty good alignment for short yardage situations. If the defense counters with a lot of big slow guys, then the TE's will get good matchups. If the defence has small fast guys, then the running game should pick up the yards they need. I think we're lucky that the personnel of our base defence is the ideal blend of speed and size, so I expect that we can defend this better than most teams.

@BuffaloBillsPR

If @TyrodTaylor has a 100+ QB rating Sunday, he'd join Jim Kelly & Joe Ferguson as the only Bills w/ back-2-back 100+ QBRs to start a season

Andy Major: "The fans are just tremendous" (12:33)
Bills VP of Operations and Guest Experience Andy Major sat down on The John Murphy Show to update the fans and answer questions on their experience on game day inside Ralph Wilson Stadium.

0ap3000000533266_video_player_cp.jpg?ito
Buffalo Bills head coach Rex Ryan has always been fired up for games against the New England Patriots, whether that's at his old job with the New York Jets or when he moved to the head coach job within the same AFC East division.

Patriots talk about the challenges they face against Buffalo (1:51)

Join us in the locker room as the New England Patriots talk about the challenges they face with Rex Ryan and the Buffalo Bills.

@mikerodak

He's a "complete quarterback," so why haven't we heard about him? My story on Tyrod Taylor and where he came from: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13681343/buffalo-bills-quarterback-tyrod-taylor-gives-nfl-talk-about

@SalSports

McCoy taking part in individual drills running over/around bags and cones with the rest of the RBs.

@JoeBuscaglia

McCoy is going through individual drills at the moment. Corey Graham is out here too. Only Goodwin and Steward are not practicing #Bills

@ChrisBrownBills

LB Tony Steward & WR Marquise Goodwin working their way back on the side. #Bills

CPMc-2GWEAAigS9.jpg

It's actually not a whole lot different from how NE**** adjusted in the week 6 game last year. Kyle and Dareus were caving in the interior, and Mario and Hughes were having their way with the OTs in the 1st half (in fact, each of Solder and Vollmer got benched at different points in the half).

In the 2nd half, NE**** went to 7 and 8-man protection schemes, keeping a TE and a back in to block on nearly every play. Schwartz never rushed more than 4, and dropped 7 into zone coverage most plays. The problem was that Duke Williams was the guy that drew coverage on Gronk most plays, and Brady/Edelman eat up that zone stuff when they have all day to sit in the pocket, so we got picked apart.

This is the exact game plan that teams for years have used against Brady and it just doesn't work. It's made me think at times that the league mandates teams play zone with no blitzers against Brady! Because everyone does it, thinking that Brady gets rid of the ball so quick you can't get pressure to him so why even try, and everyone fails at it.

That's the one thing that I think Rex gets... You can't play a zone, get little pressure on Brady, and expect to win. Those rub routes or pick plays that they have mastered guarantee an open receiver. Give Brady 2 seconds and he'll hit him. They absolutely have to pressure him up the middle and disrupt the clean breaks off the line.

On offense, the sith lord prides himself at taking away a team's bread and butter. All I can say here is... With so little footage, it's hard to say what the Bills' offensive bread and butter is at this point. So, we just have to be able to adjust, throughout the game - especially the 2nd half!, and matriculate the ball down the field.

Keep pressure on Brady, and keep the offensive game plan fluid and we can easily beat this team.

This is the exact game plan that teams for years have used against Brady and it just doesn't work. It's made me think at times that the league mandates teams play zone with no blitzers against Brady! Because everyone does it, thinking that Brady gets rid of the ball so quick you can't get pressure to him so why even try, and everyone fails at it.

That's the one thing that I think Rex gets... You can't play a zone, get little pressure on Brady, and expect to win. Those rub routes or pick plays that they have mastered guarantee an open receiver. Give Brady 2 seconds and he'll hit him. They absolutely have to pressure him up the middle and disrupt the clean breaks off the line.

On offense, the sith lord prides himself at taking away a team's bread and butter. All I can say here is... With so little footage, it's hard to say what the Bills' offensive bread and butter is at this point. So, we just have to be able to adjust, throughout the game - especially the 2nd half!, and matriculate the ball down the field.

Keep pressure on Brady, and keep the offensive game plan fluid and we can easily beat this team.

Ryan doesnt play D like that against Brady.....probably why he has been more successful then other NFL coaches against him