Quality of Buffalo News football coverage is a lot better

dave mcbride

Shirley you jest. If Brooks, Sully & Carruci had their way with their 'insights', this team would look VERY different. To me, it's nearly become what I read, I go with the opposite and it's usually more accurate.

It'll be interesting to see how they morph, should winning become a staple here.

Shirley you jest. If Brooks, Sully & Carruci had their way with their 'insights', this team would look VERY different. To me, it's nearly become what I read, I go with the opposite and it's usually more accurate.

It'll be interesting to see how they morph, should winning become a staple here.

Read what I wrote: "not the opinion stuff."

Reporting.

I agree, Dave, particularly with respect to Ty Dunne who has been a refreshing addition. I read his articles and not much else from that paper. Despite my distaste for Graham personally I do read his human interest articles because they are generally well-written and cover ground not widely reported.

Read what I wrote: "not the opinion stuff."

Reporting.

Their 'reporting' is infused unprofessionally with their opinions. It's rampant throughout all sports journalism now. I totally disagree with what you're going for here. I think their reporting, if you truly think it is separate from their opinions, is at an all time low.

Their 'reporting' is infused unprofessionally with their opinions. It's rampant throughout all sports journalism now. I totally disagree with what you're going for here. I think their reporting, if you truly think it is separate from their opinions, is at an all time low.

That's fine. I think you're wrong. I also think that it's ontologically impossible to report without an infusing one's opinion, so that doesn't bother me so much. And I don't think that reporters (not opinion writers) are all that different from reporters from the alleged golden age of the pre-internet era. I think that argument is overblown.

Dunne makes all the difference in the world. He covered Packers, and actually developed personnel sources in the NFL which he uses to provide an independent, informed opinion on the strengths and weaknesses of various players, coaches etc. Contrast that with someone like Jerry Sullivan, who in all his years here has never developed one source in the NFL, but showers his readers with his opinions, which are not based on any real life football experience, not based on any film study, basically no better or worse than the average Joe pounding beers at a local tavern.

Dunne makes all the difference in the world. He covered Packers, and actually developed personnel sources in the NFL which he uses to provide an independent, informed opinion on the strengths and weaknesses of various players, coaches etc. Contrast that with someone like Jerry Sullivan, who in all his years here has never developed one source in the NFL, but showers his readers with his opinions, which are not based on any real life football experience, not based on any film study, basically no better or worse than the average Joe pounding beers at a local tavern.

To be fair, Sullivan is paid to be an opinion columnist, not a reporter. I don't like him, but reporting and opinion writing is apples and oranges.

To be fair, Sullivan is paid to be an opinion columnist, not a reporter. I don't like him, but reporting and opinion writing is apples and oranges.

I do appreciate that it's a bit of a challenge to write fresh columns regarding a franchise that has been in the tank 15 years and running, but Sullivan all too often takes the lazy, predictable route rather than coming up with something novel.

Why would SiriusXM have Sullivan on to discuss the upcoming Bills season? I would think you want an actual beat reporter who has been closely following the goings on, not a jaded columnist.

Anyway, sorry to get off track.

I think in general it is much harder to report in the social media era. Everyone is an insider and you are not breaking any news that we didn't know immediately. as an example, if a player gets hurt for example we do not need to wait for an update from Vic Carucci (or whoever) you just follow the guy's wife on twitter and you may get the update. In order to be relevant you have to provide something that no one else does. I think that Dunne's profiles have been phenomenal. They are stories that we just haven't heard. That is really tough to do in the social media era.

Edited by Kirby Jackson