Robert Woods behind Harvin on depth chart?

I don't disagree at all except for the bolded part. After being shipped off from Seattle he was nothing short of a great teammate. That is why he is here. Will it continue? Who knows, but maybe that moment was a wake up call for him?

Each guy competes fiercely. In fact, Woods and Harvin may be the 2 toughest competitors on the roster. Maybe it will blow up?Maybe it will work well? Harvin is the more talented and Woods the more consistent and reliable. They play the game differently and they may benefit from playing with that opposite skill set. In addition, Watkins is going to be a star. We haven't even seen the surface of the player that he is going to be. His presence will make their jobs easier.

we will see - his interview the other day seemed to indicate he still doesnt get it, but he can not get it and still be a monster threat without causing much trouble for the next 4 months.

The point is that Pete Carrol is not considered to be a rigid and autocratic type coach. He has a history of not being afraid to bringing in "lively" personalities. The end result is that he cut him and got nothing in return. What does that suggest to you?

he actually traded him and got a draft pick in return. But there were reasons he got rid of him for sure.

There were also reasons the Bills traded Stevie but I think he will have a good season where he ended up. Harvin said the situation in Buffalo is different when it comes to the WR room. So it could actually work.

I wouldn't read much into it.

Teams run 11 personnel quite a bit, in fact in the NFL its the most popular formation(1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE)

However, Roman's offense uses 11 personnel the least in the NFL in his time with the 49ers, due to his belief that as teams adjust to all the other teams by adding more DB's, they have a lesser ability to stop formations like 22 personnel(2 RB, 2 TE and 1 WR) and 12 personnel(1 RB, 2 TE, and 2 WR). It seems to be a valid and ingenius way of thinking...as teams see and spend most of their time trying to stop certain formations, their ability to study, play against and know how to stop other formations takes a hit because they don't practice it as much...

So if in fact Harvin is 2nd on the depth chart, he might see quite a bit more playing time, but again it depends on formations and play design...I'd lean towards whoever is the better blocker being on the field more often...

Edited by matter2003

I don't disagree at all except for the bolded part. After being shipped off from Seattle he was nothing short of a great teammate. That is why he is here. Will it continue? Who knows, but maybe that moment was a wake up call for him?

Each guy competes fiercely. In fact, Woods and Harvin may be the 2 toughest competitors on the roster. Maybe it will blow up?Maybe it will work well? Harvin is the more talented and Woods the more consistent and reliable. They play the game differently and they may benefit from playing with that opposite skill set. In addition, Watkins is going to be a star. We haven't even seen the surface of the player that he is going to be. His presence will make their jobs easier.

When I referred to Harvin's troubling locker room behavior I should have been more clear that I was referencing the Seattle situation. You are correct that with the Jets he wasn't a problem child. But the reality of that situation in NY was that he couldn't act out as he has usually has done at all his previous stops because he was on very precarious grounds with his career. When you are at the end of the plank in a shark infested ocean even a fool is smart enough to back off and not continue moving in the same destructive path. What is noteworthy about his Jets experience is that the Jets didn't have much interest in keeping him, even after getting an inside look at him.

I am not diminishing Harvin's impressive physical talents. He is one of the most explosive players in the league. Admitedly, he is a better talent than Woods yet I consider Woods to be the better receiver and overall football player (my opinion).

The Bills are not going to be a prolific passing team. It is indisputable that Watkins is going to be the primary receiver (as you noted). He is really a special talent. Woods has demonstrated in the past that he is easily frustrated when not involved in the offense. With the addition of Harvin and Clay I don't see his level of participation increasing.

The Bills added a very talented player in Harvin. My concern is that by adding this talent they affected the mixture that impacts team cohesion, especiall in the receiver corps. I hope I am wrong but I believe that something is going to give within the receiver grouping. I don't see the addition of Harvin helping Woods be a more contributing player. I hope that I am wrong.

Again, I want to stress the issue isn't that anyone is a bad guy. My focus is on the mixture and the blend. I am wary of the situation.

we will see - his interview the other day seemed to indicate he still doesnt get it, but he can not get it and still be a monster threat without causing much trouble for the next 4 months.

That article was not only very illuminating about his mind-set but was also very troubling. As you said he doesn't appear to get it. I had concerns about Woods's attitude without Harvin on the roster and have even more now with his addition to the roster. Harvin has a history of not subordinating his individual interest to the team's overall interest. Both Woods and Harvin have issues related to controlling their emotions. Too much volatility in the room to make me comfortable.

This situation seems to me like the Terrell Owens signing. I think Harvin will be on his best behavior to get back into the FA market as a top wr. Not sure he will put the numbers up here though, but it will be nice to have his threat across from Sammy for a year. My biggest issue will be if we want to pay him $10 mill a year in 2016/17.

I hope we can get Woods signed long term, if we win a lot this year and next that will grease the ol' signing wheels.

Percy is a talented rental. One year deal that may or may not return, pumped to see how and where he lines up, how many carries he gets in addition to receptions. Robert Woods is part of the team plan though.

Remember the Eagles called for RW during the Lesean McCoy trade and Buffalo would not offer him as an option, whereas Kiko was found to be expendable due to Preston Brown and the previous #4 defensive ranking without him.

You guys honestly think Harvin is an outside guy and Woods resigned to playing the slot? Wow.

Harvin will be the FA bust of this summer's outlay if that is how the Bills plan to use him. He has never demonstrated consistent production in that role in the NFL. Woods should be the #2 opposite Watkins. Harvin come in when you go three wide and line him up all over the place, try to create mismatches, confuse defenses and run lots of quick, short passes to him or decoy him and go deep. If we use Harvin like that he can make a contribution, but as an outside receiver? No way.

You guys honestly think Harvin is an outside guy and Woods resigned to playing the slot? Wow.

Harvin will be the FA bust of this summer's outlay if that is how the Bills plan to use him. He has never demonstrated consistent production in that role in the NFL. Woods should be the #2 opposite Watkins. Harvin come in when you go three wide and line him up all over the place, try to create mismatches, confuse defenses and run lots of quick, short passes to him or decoy him and go deep. If we use Harvin like that he can make a contribution, but as an outside receiver? No way.

Harvin will line up all over the field, including on the boundary. So will Woods, Watkins, and Clay.

I'd let us get a true look at the offensive scheme before fretting about this much. Harvin racked up very good numbers his first 3 years in Minnesota, so I've no problem seeing his higher on the depth chart right now. Once they are on the field we will get a better understanding of who fits where and why...

Harvin will line up all over the field, including on the boundary. So will Woods, Watkins, and Clay.

Yup, if the goal is to have the best guys on the field it's those four plus McCoy. That's a nice arsenal of firepower. Woods/Harvin swap out for Felton if there needs to be some more power.