The Postworthy Thread

Kelly the Dog

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do we make of Rex's postgame comments Saturday that he purposely left the secondary hang out to dry to challenge them and get them to focus on their communication?

I think when he says stuff like that it is simultaneously true and a rationalization. He probably did do that. But it probably worried and worries him way more than he is letting on. I think he's probably terrified of TY Hilton right now and debating with his DC and DB coaches if we need to put Graham back there for the first two weeks while McLovin gets up to speed and Darby gets his feet wet.

What do we make of Rex's postgame comments Saturday that he purposely left the secondary hang out to dry to challenge them and get them to focus on their communication?

I think it's legitimate. I think he's been doing this to Darby, particularly, all preseason. I think Rex is taking a very unconventional approach to coaching the Bills so far. We will see how his methods pay off, but I don't expect our backfield to get burned in the reg season like it has been in preseason. Although I do think it will be the weakest link in the defense's chain.

I think when he says stuff like that it is simultaneously true and a rationalization. He probably did do that. But it probably worried and worries him way more than he is letting on. I think he's probably terrified of TY Hilton right now and debating with his DC and DB coaches if we need to put Graham back there for the first two weeks while McLovin gets up to speed and Darby gets his feet wet.

I do think he's trying to throw as much as he can at Darby in a "meaningless" setting to see what he can handle and how he responds. Hilton is going through the concussion protocol right now, isn't he?

He could always put AW there too. He performed pretty well in spot duty in 2013.

I do think he's trying to throw as much as he can at Darby in a "meaningless" setting to see what he can handle and how he responds. Hilton is going through the concussion protocol right now, isn't he?

Yep. That is going make all the difference in the world as to whether he is comfortable starting Darby or not. I am assuming that Hilton will play but we don't know yet.

I think it's legitimate. I think he's been doing this to Darby, particularly, all preseason. I think Rex is taking a very unconventional approach to coaching the Bills so far. We will see how his methods pay off, but I don't expect our backfield to get burned in the reg season like it has been in preseason. Although I do think it will be the weakest link in the defense's chain.

Here's my concern about it:

CB is the most important position behind QB for confidence levels. Darby is a rookie so he already has a million things on his mind and nerves about playing in the NFL. And now he might be one of the starters opening day going up against arguably the best QB in the NFL.

After being relentlessly targeted all preseason by 2nd-tier QBs, what do you think Andrew Luck is going to do to him? OK, maybe he can stay with Hilton, but how is he going to defend a grizzled and big body receiver like Andre Johnson?

Does that not sound like a disaster waiting to happen? Even if Rex wanted to throw Darby in the fire, it does not look like he's managed his confidence very well.

Yep. That is going make all the difference in the world as to whether he is comfortable starting Darby or not. I am assuming that Hilton will play but we don't know yet.

I'm much more comfortable with Darby covering Hilton than I was with him on Benjamin/Funchess/Martavis Bryant. He stays with guys, just doesn't play the ball well. With bigger receivers that's more of a problem. I don't think he'd shut down Hilton by any means, I just think he'd do enough with some gameplanning involved.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Here's my concern about it:

CB is the most important position behind QB for confidence levels. Darby is a rookie so he already has a million things on his mind and nerves about playing in the NFL. And now he might be one of the starters opening day going up against arguably the best QB in the NFL.

After being relentlessly targeted all preseason by 2nd-tier QBs, what do you think Andrew Luck is going to do to him? OK, maybe he can stay with Hilton, but how is he going to defend a grizzled and big body receiver like Andre Johnson?

Does that not sound like a disaster waiting to happen? Even if Rex wanted to throw Darby in the fire, it does not look like he's managed his confidence very well.

Darby needs to not be a starting CB right now. Those guys rarely, if ever, come out of college ready to start. If he has to it will be our weakest spot, but some trickery may be able to mitigate his exposure. We need to score points to win football games anyways. So if he gets burned a few times, we just need to score more than the other guys.

I'm much more comfortable with Darby covering Hilton than I was with him on Benjamin/Funchess/Martavis Bryant. He stays with guys, just doesn't play the ball well. With bigger receivers that's more of a problem. I don't think he'd shut down Hilton by any means, I just think he'd do enough with some gameplanning involved.

Perhaps. I don't think the bigger guys overpowered him though outside of the TD catch to Benjamin. That's a decent point. My problem with him has been the PI calls and the ball awareness stuff. Rookies tend to never get benefit of the doubt and he tries to get his hands on WR.

Perhaps. I don't think the bigger guys overpowered him though outside of the TD catch to Benjamin. That's a decent point. My problem with him has been the PI calls and the ball awareness stuff. Rookies tend to never get benefit of the doubt and he tries to get his hands on WR.

Biggest problem IMO. Look at Gilmore now vs 3 years ago. Same play, much less PI calls.

Yeah. I wasn't speaking as much to the physicality as I was just their length. All of those guys are 6'5". He got beat on some plays where his positioning would normally be enough but the ball was dropped in where he couldn't get it without having better ball skills. You're right about the PI's. He needs to get his head around and locate better, though I would agree with Rex in that I saw 2 that were questionable.

Hilton has made his money running precise routes with really good speed. I'm more comfortable with Darby on him than I would be on Johnson. His length and physicality would be tough on Darby.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Kirby had the perfect word and description of you: Seagull. Swoops in, craps all over everything, and then just leaves.

:lol: And, it should be noted, WEO misses his mark more often, these days. Most, like the one in this thread, are wildly off the mark.

Wait, what is it Tyrod has that nobody around the league has?

Also, anyone see Mallett throwing the ball this weekend? That kid has a cannon...

Did Ryan's alarm finally wake him up?

:lol: And, it should be noted, WEO misses his mark more often, these days. Most, like the one in this thread, are wildly off the mark.

He's an involuntary contrarian. It seems he literally can't stop himself.