"Concussion" movie trailer

CodeMonkey

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sony Pictures just released the trailer for "Concussion," a movie based on the true story of the doctor who discovered the link between football and head trauma."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/will-smith-tackles-nfl-cover-up-in-newly-released-trailer-for--concussion-142808849.html

Not sure that required an MD degree...

This will hurt the NFL way more than a book or an article.

Not even a little bit for more than the few minutes it takes for this to go straight to PPV. It's an old story the public has passed on.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Did any of you watch "league of denial" from a few years ago on pbs? If not, watch it on Netflix or read the book. The NFL and goodell are big tobacco from the early 90's. This movie will remind people how bad the NFL brass really is

Read this ny times article and you will see the lengths that the NFL mob will go to, to control the message: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/sports/football/makers-of-sonys-concussion-film-tried-to-avoid-angering-nfl-emails-show.html?_r=0&referrer=

how the hell did they license the nfl logo for this thing

I think sometimes things like that can fall into a grey area, where their common appearance in life allows for their use without permission. Like cars and car logos.

Plus you gotta figure it would be pretty great for their movie if the NFL did something stupid like taking them to court.

The reason we as fans don't want to talk about this is because of our addiction to this sport.

that or many of us already realize the risks you take when you're in the professional field.

yeah, it seems like a tremendous amount of players get injured. A bunch do. But, overall, what % suffer long term damage? These guys get paid for it.

Did any of you watch "league of denial" from a few years ago on pbs? If not, watch it on Netflix or read the book. The NFL and goodell are big tobacco from the early 90's. This movie will remind people how bad the NFL brass really isRead this ny times article and you will see the lengths that the NFL mob will go to, to control the message: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/sports/football/makers-of-sonys-concussion-film-tried-to-avoid-angering-nfl-emails-show.html?_r=0&referrer=

League of Denial is great.

next we'll hear there's a link between swimming and drowning

Actually, the significance of this analogy to the NFL comes when you add to your analogy that not only is there a link between swimming and drowning, but that the masses gain great entertainment from watching these drownings over and over.

further, as part of keeping the masses entertained, we compensate the performers for risking drowning but also refuse to compensate the families of those who get unlucky and drown while entertaining us.

It does get macabre at the least and actually pretty sick pretty fast for the viewer in your analogy don't you think?

Maybe this explains why SONY isn't worried about actions from the NFL. They apparently pussified the movie.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/sports/football/makers-of-sonys-concussion-film-tried-to-avoid-angering-nfl-emails-show.html?ref=sports&_r=1

When I read this piece about Sony it infuriated me. Big companies like the NFL and Sony seem to be untouchable. Case in point, Sony survived a hacking scandal. $ talks

Actually, the significance of this analogy to the NFL comes when you add to your analogy that not only is there a link between swimming and drowning, but that the masses gain great entertainment from watching these drownings over and over.

further, as part of keeping the masses entertained, we compensate the performers for risking drowning but also refuse to compensate the families of those who get unlucky and drown while entertaining us.

It does get macabre at the least and actually pretty sick pretty fast for the viewer in your analogy don't you think?

We?? Maybe you mean "they". As ticket buyers, cable subscribers, merchandise purchasers, endorsed product users...of course "we" compensate them fo rthis entertainment. We don't do it by force, by the way..

If I die on the job or as a result of it, my employer isn't going to compensate my family. Will yours? Which companies do?

When I read this piece about Sony it infuriated me. Big companies like the NFL and Sony seem to be untouchable. Case in point, Sony survived a hacking scandal. $ talks

Should they not have survived a hacking scandal?

Did any of you watch "league of denial" from a few years ago on pbs? If not, watch it on Netflix or read the book. The NFL and goodell are big tobacco from the early 90's. This movie will remind people how bad the NFL brass really is

Read this ny times article and you will see the lengths that the NFL mob will go to, to control the message: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/sports/football/makers-of-sonys-concussion-film-tried-to-avoid-angering-nfl-emails-show.html?_r=0&referrer=

The NFL is big tobacco? That's a stretch. Tobacco hid the dangers of their product for decades, bribed governments, and killed millions in the process.

But CTEs are scary and I worry about the future of football.