EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

Here is a quote from Rex early this year that seems to contradict the trail bait suggestions:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25136686/rex-ryan-lets-not-dump-ej-manuel-after-two-years-look-at-aaron-rodgers

I am not saying it happening it is just completely different than what they have been saying. That seems to be where the press has gotten it wrong ... not listening to what they are saying and assuming they know what is going on.

that just can't be true

/sarc

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or 3 preseason games and a scrimmage. In other words, everything that truly matters in an offseason.

Just admit that everyone moved on from EJ until he started performing well. Now everybody is really nervous he's going to kill it on Saturday.

There's a lot of "reputations" on the line that need EJ to do poorly.

Who is "nervous?" If EJ kills it on Saturday, I'm pumped that we have 3 QB's who have all had good plays and days.

Having a QB competition be close because all 3 QB's have performed well is the best thing this offseason could've yielded.

Who is "nervous?" If EJ kills it on Saturday, I'm pumped that we have 3 QB's who have all had good plays and days.

Speak for yourself. There's plenty of fans, coaches, and media members that don't want EJ to do well tomorrow.

Fair enough.

If EJ looks unbelievable in this weekends game and he doesn't start, blows Rex's cred out the wattah.

No it doesn't. He isn't going to pick a starting Qb based on one guy's performance in one game. To do so would be lunacy.

He can still justify not starting him based on his track record of not playing well enough to be a starter.

The only thing it does, is it puts gunpowder in the quarterback controversy cannon that goes off the first time the starting quarterback plays poorly.

Speak for yourself. There's plenty of fans, coaches, and media members that don't want EJ to do well tomorrow.

They've already started. Heard a radio guy today say "Well EJ will have Freddy and Bryce brown back, that not fair to Taylor"

EJ is playing for his NFL life tomorrow, I have no doubt he's going to do very well. EJ playing well, coupled with Metz's report, will do nothing but tarnish Rex's rep, if its true the starter is already decided.

That is what doesn't add up. Why leak that.

Edited by mastershake

Well I will stake my credibility to this: even if EJ looks unbelievable and the other two QB's play poorly on Saturday, EJ aint starting week 1.

now you are embarrassing yourself.

In all honesty The person telling you or your friend this inside info will get fired if this is the truth and word got out.

Ask yourself.. Is you job that secure that you can get away with leaking secrets?

Deflator!

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

No it doesn't. He isn't going to pick a starting Qb based on one guy's performance in one game. To do so would be lunacy.

He can still justify not starting him based on his track record of not playing well enough to be a starter.

The only thing it does, is it puts gunpowder in the quarterback controversy cannon that goes off the first time the starting quarterback plays poorly.

Sounds like the narrative is ready for the anti-EJ guys just in case he plays well.

That's exactly the problem with having 3 guys performing adequately and not having one guy obviously take the job.

Whomever is the starter will be under intense scrutiny and the first mistake will draw a chorus of "They should've gone with..."

Everyone always loves the backup.

EJ is playing for his NFL life tomorrow

In my opinion, that's a bit of an exaggeration. I expect EJ to be on our roster this season no matter what happens tomorrow. And in the off chance he is cut, he will be picked up IMMEDIATELY (and probably start for the Jets in a few weeks)

:doh::blush: :blush:

Yep. Rich Gentzler on The Fan

In my opinion, that's a bit of an exaggeration. I expect EJ to be on our roster this season no matter what happens tomorrow. And in the off chance he is cut, he will be picked up IMMEDIATELY (and probably start for the Jets in a few weeks)

Yep. Rich Gentzler on The Fan

If he's a true competitor, which I believe he is, he doesn't want to be third string. So he is playing for his life. If he isn't, I don't want him

Rex already has a rep for being a joke of a QB guy, if EJ plays well and Rex don't start him, national media will have a field day with him.

Edited by mastershake

Most of us are not truly qualified to state with authority that this or that QB is "the one" and this or that QB is "the bum." We watch with the eyes of pretty knowlegeable fans but without the level of experience and insight that a real analyst of QBs has. I am in this group of the not-really-qualified myself which is why I am still ambivalent about which of the Bills QBs should be the starter. However, a few people who comment around here have shown a much better understanding of the nuances of the position and so it is to them that I ask this question:

In a straight-up comparison between the two, what are the differences that make Cassel supposedly a better choice than EJ, either as starter or first backup? To my eyes it appears that EJ is better or no worse than Cassel in every measurable category except NFL starting time. I am not saying that either one is great. In fact, they are both kind of "eh" at this time. What I am asking is what are the differences that would lead the coaches to choose Cassel over EJ if they're both relatively equal (not sure that they are, just assuming for the purpose of this question). It would seem to me if that's the case that you'd keep the younger with potentially a higher ceiling over the older guy whose plateau is well established.

Rex already has a rep for being a joke of a QB guy, if EJ plays well and Rex don't start him, national media will have a field day with him.

No they won't. At least not any sane person. They would have to literally have nothing else to talk about to want to do that.

You forget, most of the people outside of Buffalo are basing their opinion of EJ based on what they saw last year, which wasn't anything to brag about. They aren't basing it on this year's 2 preseason performances. And even if they were, EJ certainly didn't play well enough to make any coach look foolish for not starting him.