Buffalo Rumblings scouting report on Tyrod Taylor

YoloinOhio

You have to like what TT has done in the preseason, but regular season games are a big step up from a few series in preseason - especially midway through the season after teams get some tape on him. He's earned a look though - and I have no faith in Cassel and little in EJ at this point - so why not give him his shot?

Awesome article. Thanks Yolo!

I am getting so psyched for this season. More psyched than any year in recent history.

Can you imagine how jacked up and psyched Ralph Wilson stadium will be on opening day if Tyrod Taylor comes out leading the charge?

That place will be rockin with optimism!

Win or lose, I guarantee that Taylor would make it exciting, which is more than I can say for Cassel. With Cassel, you just don't know.

(Of course I am basing all my optimism in Taylor on a very, very limited exposure to seeing him play. But I can't help feeling very optimistic. Please let it finally happen.)

Edited by PolishDave

I hope he gets the start for preseason game #3. If he put the ball in the end zone, that will do it for me. It shouldn't be too hard since people are saying the Steelers have a relatively poor defense this year.

It's always hard bub. There are no gimme's or mulligans. Oh wait, the Bills do get 1 Mulligan this year.

I think it's Tryod's job to lose at this point. Cassel remains a safety net if Tyrod regresses. I can't see a scenario outside of injuries that EJ is in the mix to start.

If I were Rex I'd play Tyrod and Meh for 3 quarters and give EJ some mopup time at the end. Then let EJ play the majority of the last preseason game and solidify a roster spot. Before the Browns game I didn't think EJ would make the cut, but after that nice game winning drive I believe he's earned the #3 spot.

Simms will probably get a few snaps in the final preseason game and then it's off to the practice squad.

Tyrod stinks. If he starts, Bills fans will be clamoring for Cassell after week 3.

how do you know this already? He has very little regular season film and what we do have from that and the PS is pretty decent ... No one is saying he is good yet, but how do you know he won't be? Edited by YoloinOhio

Really Yolo?? There are a half dozen TT threads IN here!

:nana:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2015/8/24/9186979/tyrod-taylor-scouting-report-bills-vs-browns-nfl-preseason-week-2
Through two preseason games, Tyrod Taylor has shown that he has the pocket presence and passing ability traits to be a winning quarterback for the Buffalo Bills.

This could be used for a number of QB's over the past decade or more in Buffalo

Through two preseason games, QB X has shown that he has the pocket presence and passing ability traits to be a winning quarterback for the Buffalo Bills.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

When I watched Flutie play the thing that stood out to me was how good he was at avoiding big hits. His size and style of play made this essential to any success he had. I think Russell Wilson is the same. Agile but also aware and decisive. I never really liked Michael Vick's style because he seemed unaware/indecisive too often. He'd run himself into big hits and with that comes injuries and turnovers.

That's what we do not know about Taylor and we won't until he plays against good defenses with elite defenders in tough conditions.

I would of said no way to TT starting for us when we acquired him, but He has done well. His passes are on target and on time. he can move the ball with his legs as well. I'm a fan of him getting the nod after training camp and 2 preseason games

Really Yolo?? There are a half dozen TT threads IN here!

:nana:

This could be used for a number of QB's over the past decade or more in Buffalo

Through two preseason games, QB X has shown that he has the pocket presence and passing ability traits to be a winning quarterback for the Buffalo Bills.

while that's true, it doesn't turn it into a negative. It remains an unknown. Preseason doesn't count, but it does matter. If a QB plays well in the PS it doesn't mean they will play well in the reg season. But if they struggle in the PS it is concerning, because the defenses are going to be much more targeted and complex in the reg season.

The breakdown and analysis within the link is encouraging and goes beyond the "eye test" or stat line.

Edited by YoloinOhio

That breakdown was OK. Not a whole lot of detail, but has the videos included.

It shows that Taylor can operate from within the pocket, so that's good. I think he's still not getting his passes out quick enough. Specifically, the comeback routes to Thompson and Goodwin. They've succeeded early in the preseason, but CBs will get the jump on those eventually.

The second third down conversion to Clay was an easy protection read and pass read. Two LBs showing blitz up the middle, Hogan and Clay running the same routes at different levels across the middle, with the safety covering Clay. All Taylor had to do was read the covering LB.

If the Browns make that play more complicated by dropping a LB or DE into coverage, Taylor can just run it. That's the beauty of T-Mobile. He's shown he can pass and run effectively in this preseason. I hope he succeeds the same way in the real games.

I understand the comparisons with Russell Wilson, and even Doug Flutie, by why do I rarely see mention of Drew Brees?

Running ability?