Reporter shot and Killed on Live TV in VA

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think he would have made the effort to kill with other objects? It's just so easy to get a gun and use it.

Maybe. Who knows. The point is that if you're looking for an example to illustrate a need for gun control this is an extremely poor one to use. This is opportunism at its worst.

You don't see it because the change was gradual, but I'd got compare it to the 70s it's a quantum leap. It absolutely affects how society interacts because it is pervasive in the society.

You can argue whether we're better off overall than in the 70s, and I think we're better off overall. But I also don't assume that there isn't a societal cost that comes with "progress"

Fair enough, and Im sure there has been a degradation of the respect for others. Thanks for replying. Something to think on.

The main purpose of a car isn't to kill people.

Good response to the moron that suggests that anything can be a weapon. A gun may be a decoration in your living room, but the main purpose is not to be a freaking ornament.

The main purpose of a gun isn't to murder people.

But it is to kill or cause serious injury.

So what's your idea then? Give everyone (including all the people out there like this guy) guns? Have one big, nation-wide shoot out where only the good guys survive?

Something needs to be fixed. I've already conceded I'm not proposing anything ridiculous like banning all guns. Im trying to have a discussion on this but you guys get way too riled up about your precious guns.

Do you guys have any ideas? Or are you just here to pretend like there isnt a problem?

It has nothing to do with "precious" anything or some weird fetish you have with other men's junk. Try and follow along.

And no one here who has half an ounce of sense reads anything you post. You know why, despite your attempts to pretend other people are the problem.

If the trend keeps up and gets MUCH worse... The many (lawful gun owners) will have to suffer, be inconvenienced, and rights taken away because of the few bad apples.

We are by no means even close yet, there is no state of emergency.

How that would be carried out, I don't know, BUT I volunteer mead to go door to door and try and take the guns away. LoL... J/K mead! ;-)

Good response to the moron that suggests that anything can be a weapon. A gun may be a decoration in your living room, but the main purpose is not to be a freaking ornament.

Yet 200,000,000+ guns in America have never killed a single person.

Stop trying to blame objects for the ills of people. You wanna start down the road toward fewer shootings? Stop making these idiots famous.

It has nothing to do with "precious" anything or some weird fetish you have with other men's junk. Try and follow along.

And no one here who has half an ounce of sense reads anything you post. You know why, despite your attempts to pretend other people are the problem.

Gotta admit. That was funny.

Do you think he would have made the effort to kill with other objects? It's just so easy to get a gun and use it.

Drugs are illegal. And tough to get, right?

Prohibition doesn't curtail behavior, it just gives the government the ability to incarcerate people.

Yet 200,000,000+ guns in America have never killed a single person.

Stop trying to blame objects for the ills of people. You wanna start down the road toward fewer shootings? Stop making these idiots famous.

When the objects are the cause, who or what is one to blame?

It's like NOT blaming drugs on the drug addict. Of course it's the fault of the person, but the drug takes some blame too.

The "purpose," which is subjective, is irrelevant. Christ, I wish this was on PPP.

Maybe. Who knows. The point is that if you're looking for an example to illustrate a need for gun control this is an extremely poor one to use. This is opportunism at its worst.

How is this so?

Guy gets fired. Employer clears building and has local police present because of the potential threat he poses.

Guy goes to store and easily buys a gun.

Guy uses said gun to ambush 3 people, killing 2, and then himself.

The employer and police knew he was a threat. You're saying this isnt a good example to use for having a system in place to flag these people? And the same system could be used to identify that this potential threat tried to buy a gun and maybe needs some police intervention.

There are plenty of ways that better gun laws could prevent this. Not all, but a lot more than they are.

And Im not necessarily arguing for more gun laws. Just better, more effective gun laws.

Part of the problem with the existing "20,000" gun laws on the books, is that gun lobbyists get their hooks in them and render them ineffective while they are being written. (Another problem, of course, is that the politicians making the laws are idiots).

Look, gun fans are going to have to either get on board with being part of the solution, or admit that they want crazies like this guy to have easy access to guns and terrorize innocent people just because they like their toys.

There is a ton of grey area, and room to work with, between banning all guns and arming everyone. But we cant have a real discussion since the second I mention anything, I get called an a-hole and retarded by a very upset, irrational gun lover. Time for everyone to grow up and figure it out.

A lot of people are asking how gun control laws can come into effect.

I'm not saying that this is the right way, and Lord knows I hate to use the Aussies as shining examples, but this is how Australia did it. (And from all accounts, it's been very successful.)

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/19/world/us-australia-gun-control/

When the objects are the cause, who or what is one to blame?

It's like NOT blaming drugs on the drug addict. Of course it's the fault of the person, but the drug takes some blame too.

I'm still waiting to see the first gun jump up and kill someone.

People are to blame. There are a variety of reasons, most of which go back to ****ty parenting.

How is this so?

Guy gets fired. Employer clears building and has local police present because of the potential threat he poses.

The employer and police knew he was a threat. You're saying this isnt a good example to use for having a system in place to flag these people? And the same system could be used to identify that this potential threat tried to buy a gun and maybe needs some police intervention.

There are plenty of ways that better gun laws could prevent this. Not all, but a lot more than they are.

And Im not necessarily arguing for more gun laws. Just better, more effective gun laws.

Part of the problem with the existing "20,000" gun laws on the books, is that gun lobbyists get their hooks in them and render them ineffective while they are being written. (Another problem, of course, is that the politicians making the laws are idiots).

Look, gun fans are going to have to either get on board with being part of the solution, or admit that they want crazies like this guy to have easy access to guns and terrorize innocent people just because they like their toys.

There is a ton of grey area, and room to work with, between banning all guns and arming everyone. But we cant have a real discussion since the second I mention anything, I get called an a-hole and retarded by a very upset, irrational gun lover. Time for everyone to grow up and figure it out.

Gigantic load of crap. No lobby "renders laws on the books" ineffective. Learn how things work, tardfest.

I'm still waiting to see the first gun jump up and kill someone.

People are to blame. There are a variety of reasons, most of which go back to ****ty parenting.

Gigantic load of crap. No lobby "renders laws on the books" ineffective. Learn how things work, tardfest.

You have nothing to contribute except calling people names because youre paranoid they are threatening your toys. Keep it up. Youre really shining.

Youre so scared and pathetic that you ignore an entire post and focus on the one thing you think you can criticize.

Another typical, overly paranoid gun lover who thinks hes a badass. Ran away to Alaska too. Classic.

Edited by DrDareustein

A lot of people are asking how gun control laws can come into effect.

I'm not saying that this is the right way, and Lord knows I hate to use the Aussies as shining examples, but this is how Australia did it. (And from all accounts, it's been very successful.)

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/19/world/us-australia-gun-control/

From all accounts?

Is America a completely secured island? Does Australia have organized gangs that have tentacles in every major city in the country? How would Australian gun laws work in a country with 15 times the population that's far more concentrated than the United States?

Again, the average American who isn't in a gang or part of the drug culture has about the same likelihood of being a victim of violent crime as the would pretty much anywhere in the world. We like to take incidents like this and pretend they are the norm because the media loves the blood but there's zero reality to it.

How is this so?

As I said earlier, if you're going to pick a poster story for gun control pick one where the crime couldn't have been committed without the gun.