Do you trust Matt Cassel?

PolishDave

I still have this lingering dislike for Matt Cassel that I can only really attribute to his tight relationship with Foxboro.

I know it is silly to think that way. The guy is a football player and I am sure he wants to win even if he is playing for the Bills. I just have this sense that his umbilical cord is somehow still attached to the Patriots franchise. And that makes me dislike him.

I suppose if he ends up starting, then my overbearing tendency to want to hate him will fade away. Of course that only happens if the team wins with him in there. If he screws the pooch during a game, I can see some nutcase (other than me – I’m a pretty calm guy) rushing the field with fists swinging.

Do you trust him? Or do you have this lingering inner dislike for him like I do because of his attachment to the Patriots?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not with my daughter, I dont.

I hear ya, OP. Being a 10 year vet and having enjoyed some success in KC, I don't think that's the case. Certainly, there are many (countless?) ex-Bills who go onto other teams, then make WNY their permanent home when their playing career is over. I doubt Rex & Pettine whisper how they'd still rather be in Baltimore -where they earned a ring..

Feeding into your concern, I think, is his seemingly unfazed, laissez-faire persona -an attribute of EJ's that drives me nuts. IMO, he's nonchalant about being mediocre and 'FIRE' seems to be missing.

I sleep well and I hope you do! ; )

I don't know I get this sinking suspicion that he is only here to relay top secret information to the Patriots. I mean he went to the Derby with them!! He is secretly being paid by Bob Kraft to sabotage the Bills offense and ensure another division title for the Pats. It is obvious that he would rather lose so that his friends can win. That happens to me all of the time when I am playing poker and stuff with my buddies. It is always better when they win and I lose. It is especially fun when it costs me money.

You're asking as if he's a pats spy?

In that regard. I would say I trust him. He's trying to make a check 1st.

No I am not asking or suggesting anything about spying. I can see how that is the first thing that anyone thinks of when the word "Foxboro" or "Patriots" comes up. :w00t:

I just generally don't like the guy. I doubt he is a bad guy. ( I don't know. I haven't followed him.) I know my dislike from him is rooted in the fact that he got his start in New England and that he played as the starter that one year and beat us. And the media reports of his continued strong connections to the guys he used to play with in New England. And my hatred for the entire Patriots organization and everything attached to them runs deep and strong.

I know that the friendship thing is normal for anybody considering what an awesome part of his life it probably was for him when he was part of the New England team. I would be the same way if I was in his shoes I am sure.

I just can't shake this inherent distrust of the guy. I think it is part of what holds me back in wanting him to be the starter here. It is an unwarranted lack of trust. Just wondering if anyone else felt that way too.

Very glad he is in the mix. He's a Bill, he's a veteran. Given the importance of the position, and the severe lack of talent at that position in the NFL; you've just got to be glad he is a Bill.

I trust him thoroughly. Be it as a starter or a back-up.

Its the injuries to EVERYBODY that I dont trust.

No. I will be very disappointed if Cassel gets the starting job. I don't see him as a safe option. His noodle arm scares the crap out of me. Though I think the team could win in spite of him, I can't see him winning us the occasional game like I can with the other 2.

If he is the opening day starter, I'm thinking of just picking a college team to follow. I can't watch this talent-laden team, play castrated football.

I have already suffered a heart attack, and the stress that kind of football brings to me... I'm afraid my health will suffer. I'm serious.

Edited by HoF Watkins

If he wants to get paid, he needs to win. He knows that. I'm sure he also doesn't want to get teased by his Patriot friends if he loses to em.

Not true> if he wants to get paid he only needs to hang around for season as " insurance"

I loathe him and his Patriot Ways

So are you asking if I trust Matt to not look through my cell phone if I go to the bathroom?

Then no. He used to play for the Pats.

Just kidding.

he already did.

Never go pee with a Patriot around they are going to be looking at something you wish they would not!

Edited by 3rdand12

Boston College?

Ha, hardly. The funny thing is, there are people like you that think because I couldn't care less if the Patriots cheated, that I'm not a diehard Bills fan. It's so ridiculous that I dismiss it. I don't care what the Patriots have done, because I don't believe the Bills were in any way ready to compete for a title, so those were lost years anyway. I'm way more interested in what the Bills are going to do to WIN, than what other organizations get up to.

Consider what disinterested outsiders think of him:

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/8938513-74/quarterback-cassel-nfl#axzz3jV6IG0q9

Great picture of him btw> reminds me of my Son when he played DE / linebacker in Pop Warner/ Used to stick that tongue out when focused on the play. used to freak me out. One good pop and there goes the tongue aarrgghh. Kids..