Boobie Dixon has calf injury - out for 1 month

I strongly disagree with what most of you think is going on in the roster competition. Dixon isn't competing with Brown he's competing with John Conner for the back up FB and ST role. That Dixon can carry the ball well is just a plus in that battle.

Brown is competing against Williams and Jackson with very little chance of beating them out.

Maybe if Dixon had really shown something running the ball we might have considered carrying one less back.

Unless we could trade Brown I would think that just cutting him would take a little shine off of Whaley, nobody likes to admit that they made a mistake.

Which would take the shine off more, cutting him and looking bad (by someone, not sure who) or keeping a fumbler who perhaps could cost us another game?

I strongly disagree with what most of you think is going on in the roster competition. Dixon isn't competing with Brown he's competing with John Conner for the back up FB and ST role. That Dixon can carry the ball well is just a plus in that battle.

Very astute. I must say, this makes a lot of sense.

Well, I think that's the question. Does it? Boobie is a proven ST demon and by all accounts a great teammate. Why keep Bryce Brown over him?

cheaper, potentially better runner, expiring contract next year that will be in the comp pick equation

and with mccoy, fred, and the rookie, plus a dedicated full back and TE and WRs that can play out of the backfield in packages we might not even keep 4 (really 5 with the FB) as is

Edited by NoSaint

Unfortunately, looking over Rex's comments it looks like Karlos might be taking over special teams duties.

if capable, it saves money and may add a more dynamic runner. outside of entertaining videos, im not sure that would be unfortunate, assuming (admittedly a big if, but if the coaches see it, then ill trust) he plays to his potential.

That isn't a real reason for a team that wants the best players not a useless $2 million in cap savings.

as we are talking cap savings and not cash, it could be a great way to invest in another player that contributes more

@TyDunne: Dixon calls calf inj a cramp: "I'm still confident in my position with this team." Says he's "unique" and fans haven't seen the last of him.

@TyDunne: Dixon calls calf inj a cramp: "I'm still confident in my position with this team." Says he's "unique" and fans haven't seen the last of him.

With OL being something awful on this team for depth I think we are better off keeping Dixon as the 2nd FB and 4th RB then keeping an extra OL.

I would just as quickly keep 7 OL instead of 8 last year, with the 4 spots to TE like last year.

Easily making our OL:

Wood, Incognito, Glenn, Urbik, Miller, Kouaj, Henderson or Richardson.

The OT's could be on the PS. We would have 4 OT's, a swing G/C.

With OL being something awful on this team for depth I think we are better off keeping Dixon as the 2nd FB and 4th RB then keeping an extra OL.

I would just as quickly keep 7 OL instead of 8 last year, with the 4 spots to TE like last year.

Easily making our OL:

Wood, Incognito, Glenn, Urbik, Miller, Kouaj, Henderson or Richardson.

The OT's could be on the PS. We would have 4 OT's, a swing G/C.

Boobie could also be fighting with guys like hogan/Goodwin for that bottom of the offense roster spot

Boobie could also be fighting with guys like hogan/Goodwin for that bottom of the offense roster spot

Let's do this breakdown then. Hogan/Goodwin/Dixon battle royale

This position is about special teams.

Goodwin: special teams he is replaceable with the players we have now, and can only play returner for the kickoffs. On offense he may see the field 5-6 times a game, maximum.

Hogan: a gunner on special teams, a blocker on return teams, and in a pinch he could return a punt or kick I bet.

Dixon: same as Hogan, he has played all over the field on special teams. he has returned kickoffs, though, like Goodwin.

On offense Dixon has 4.1 ypc. That's all that matters. He is the best offensive player in this group and as a runner maybe the most invaluable player of the group. I would just as soon keep Hogan instead of Goodwin, but either way, I am not too comfortable releasing Hogan for Dixon or Dixon for Hogan, but in this case, depending how the rest of the dice fall, I might just cut Hogan to keep Dixon.

This choice was made primarily because if we lose Jackson, like we will for at least 2 weeks because that's how it goes; well, Dixon will be able to come in and fill the roll of Jackson.