Eagles trade CB Brandon Boykin to Steelers

If you think WGR is bad, try WIP sometime. Angelo Cataldi MAY be the worst personality in radio, anywhere.

And let's not even talk Howard Eskin when he was there.

To be honest, I think Innes might be worse. I don't like Cataldi, but his crew usually makes up for him. Innes tends to scream a lot and shuts down anyone he disagrees with. He's so bad that he drove legitimate broadcaster Tony Bruno into retirement from radio.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I think Innes might be worse. I don't like Cataldi, but his crew usually makes up for him. Innes tends to scream a lot and shuts down anyone he disagrees with. He's so bad that he drove legitimate broadcaster Tony Bruno into retirement from radio.

I did use to like Mike Miscinelli. He was half decent. But Cataldi and Hughes make me want to kick kittens.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PHI

Here's the Iggles depth chart. Honestly, what's scary about them this year? The RBs, sure. Bradford? There's a chance he does well in Chip's offense, but for how long? Then it's Sanchez. I like Agholor, but he's a rookie. I love Kiko and wouldn't want to be going across the middle against him. They still have some talent on the defensive side of the ball, but it isn't exactly loaded. I don't see a stellar unit on either side of the ball outside of the RBs. Teams aren't going to be caught off guard by their tempo or style of play this year either. They're lucky they play in the NFCE. I'm not saying they'll totally tank the season, but if things start to go South how bad is that locker room going to get?

To be fair, Chip is good at scheming the offense and drawing up plays. And they have a strong front 7. But their DB group as a whole is a weak link.

Agholor has drawn comparisons to Woods: a very polished route runner with decent size and speed. But you don't build an offense around him, like we did with Sammy.

They'll probably pile points on teams with bad defenses (especially bad secondaries) but you cab only go so far doing that. Their brutal losses were against Seattle, Arizona and San Francisco because those defenses shut down the offense. And when you go 3 and out doing the no huddle...

I did use to like Mike Miscinelli. He was half decent. But Cataldi and Hughes make me want to kick kittens.

I'm actually a fan of Gargano on the mornings.

Wow, KDS you've got quite a Kelly boner going.

Look, I'll be the first to say that Chip Kelly is an incredible offensive coordinator, and I would say a very good head coach. Some of what I've seen is really impressive.

But you're crazy if you don't have some reservations about Chip Kelly the GM. First he let's the Riley Cooper incident become a locker room cancer (aggravated by signing him to a longer term deal and then sucking), then Chip cuts a Pro Bowl WR who then goes to a division rival for nothing but dead cap.

Then, this year, his Pro Bowl guard is holding out of VOLUNTARY practices but has his ticket booked for the mandatory ones...so Chip cuts. In what is one of the thinnest group of CBs in the league, he trades away a decently reliable slot CB for a 5th round pick...next year. The Eagles DB group looks to he a mess. Chip signed Byron maxwell to a $10M a year contract (good but not worth that money) and is throwing a rookie 2nd rounder at the #2 spot. After that...it's pretty much a wasteland. And they really don't have a solid 2nd safety after Malcolm Jenkins. When you're up against Eli and Romo, that's going to be a weakness.

Like I said, great coach, but an effective manager has to deal with the fact that nother evert effective employee is going to be "Rah Rah" and it is their job to get the best out of those people. Otherwise you get a Harbaugh situation. I think Chip is hurting himself.

Since we have yet to see how they'll shake out on the field, I have no idea how his moves as GM will work. Neither do you. I see no reason to trash the guy for moves that may or may not work out.

The decisions to cut Jackson and re-sign Cooper were made long before Chip was given control over player personnel moves this off-season.

Mathis being cut had nothing to do with missing voluntary ota's. Mathis demanded that incentives be added to a contract that was already going to be paying him 5.5 mil this season. When Chip told him to get bent, Mathis requested his release, so Chip obliged him. Don't you find it odd that, even though he's an elite LT, that nobody has signed him yet? It's not because he missed a voluntary workout, that's for sure. It's because he's making unrealistic contract demands for a guy his age, and with his injury concerns. Unless a team gets really desperate and overpays him, he's probably going to end up taking a paycut because of his greed.

Two years ago, everybody said Chip was just another gimmick coach who would fail miserably in the NFL, and would be back to coaching college by now. So far, all he has done is prove everyone wrong. Now those same people are back to predict how terrible his moves as a GM are going to be. Have at it. But you won't find me betting against him at this point.

Since we have yet to see how they'll shake out on the field, I have no idea how his moves as GM will work. Neither do you. I see no reason to trash the guy for moves that may or may not work out.

The decisions to cut Jackson and re-sign Cooper were made long before Chip was given control over player personnel moves this off-season.

Mathis being cut had nothing to do with missing voluntary ota's. Mathis demanded that incentives be added to a contract that was already going to be paying him 5.5 mil this season. When Chip told him to get bent, Mathis requested his release, so Chip obliged him. Don't you find it odd that, even though he's an elite LT, that nobody has signed him yet? It's not because he missed a voluntary workout, that's for sure. It's because he's making unrealistic contract demands for a guy his age, and with his injury concerns. Unless a team gets really desperate and overpays him, he's probably going to end up taking a paycut because of his greed.

Two years ago, everybody said Chip was just another gimmick coach who would fail miserably in the NFL, and would be back to coaching college by now. So far, all he has done is prove everyone wrong. Now those same people are back to predict how terrible his moves as a GM are going to be. Have at it. But you won't find me betting against him at this point.

I'm not trashing the guy, but I think it's ludicrous to think that he's exempt from scrutiny.

I'll take on the other points one at a time.

1) I don't blame Chip for not cutting Cooper, or not benching Cooper after the incident. I blame him for letting the issue linger to the point where there is resentment three years after the fact. That's a locker room issue and he is responsible.

2) You're really going to tell me that the Eagles cut a WR coming off a Pro Bowl year, and Howie Rosman had absolutely no input from Chip, with whom Jackson had a bad relationship with? That it was completely a football decision? Suuuuure it was.

3) Last season, Vince Wilfork asked to be released fron the Patriors. He's now sitting with a 2014 SB Championship ring. Players ask for it all the time as negotiating tactic. The thing is, the teams hold all the power. Chip had no obligation to grant it, and unless you honestly think Mathis would not play rather than collect 5.5M dollars all you've done is create dead cap and lose a excellent player in a position of need.

4) you're right in a way that we won't know how his moves will shake out yet. But every indication so far is that he's acting like it's a college program, and the NFL is a business. Right now I'm looking at a team with a starting QB who hasn't played a full season in three years, a hurry up offense that has gaping holes at guards, no clear #1 receiver and a secondary with one decent proven safety and one decent proven CB. We'll see but I certainly think he's made plenty of miscues so far.

The one move that I question is the trade of Foles for Bradford. Chip has not won consistently with anyone but Foles, and Bradford flat out hasn't won.

I don't think Bradford is a "bad" QB but I do think he's a giant question mark both health wise and the fact he hadn't gotten the job done in 5 yrs in StL. I'm sure they expected more for a #1 overall pick and enormous contract. He will have his old OC where he did well, but not sure how much influence Schurmer has with Chip being the offensive HC and a control freak.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The one move that I question is the trade of Foles for Bradford. Chip has not won consistently with anyone but Foles, and Bradford flat out hasn't won.

I don't think Bradford is a "bad" QB but I do think he's a giant question mark both health wise and the fact he hadn't gotten the job done in 5 yrs in StL. I'm sure they expected more for a #1 overall pick and enormous contract. He will have his old OC where he did well, but not sure how much influence Schurmer has with Chip being the offensive HC and a control freak.

When word first broke, the word was that the trade would be Foles for Bradford and a 2nd round pick. That made sense as rumor was Chip was trying to trade up for Mariota, and Bradford, the 20th pick and 2 second round picks would have been a nice package.

Then word came down that it was Foles AND a second round pick for Bradford.

*headdesk*

When word first broke, the word was that the trade would be Foles for Bradford and a 2nd round pick. That made sense as rumor was Chip was trying to trade up for Mariota, and Bradford, the 20th pick and 2 second round picks would have been a nice package.

Then word came down that it was Foles AND a second round pick for Bradford.

*headdesk*

<typical eagles fan response>

Ay-YO! Use can talk about Chip like dat!

</typical eagles fan response>

I certainly don't remember that -- the proclamations of "he's a genius" and "he'll take the NFL by storm" were just as loud (if not louder). Thus far he's done some interesting things and kept the Eagles about where they were under Reid (until his last season). He also hasn't won a playoff game, has made a bunch of personnel moves that are somewhat curious, and has had a surprising number of departed players take shots on their way out.

I wouldn't bet against him, but I also wouldn't bet on him.

I understand this sentiment. but let me phrase it another way.

Kelly must know more about building a winning NFL team than he appears to at this point.

Its interesting to keep an eye on though.

yes, i have to wonder what his formula is. If Kelly thinks he can get 53 guys to think the same way he does, god bless him. I fear Kelly has started down a path where he will lose and so will the Eagles.

yes, i have to wonder what his formula is. If Kelly thinks he can get 53 guys to think the same way he does, god bless him. I fear Kelly has started down a path where he will lose and so will the Eagles.

The Boykin comment was interesting thats for sure.

But they say genius often goes unrecognized, till after the accomplishments. They just seem crazy at the time ; )