Do We Have Any Bernie Sanders Supporters Among Us?

Why should college be free and why should Wall Street pay for it?

College should be free because it would be good for the country and the individual Wall Street should pay for it because like cigarettes it's bad for the country and the individual.

College should be free because it would be good for the country and the individual Wall Street should pay for it because like cigarettes it's bad for the country and the individual.

Fantastic! So neither of you can answer that question. Those feel good things typically can't be justified.

First of all, I'd like to think many of you SoProgs are, at the very least, not stupid enough to consider that college would be 'free.' Someone is paying for it, and you can bet your ass whomever gets selected to pay for it WILL find a way to avoid paying for it, in which case many unintended consequences will take place that you ARE all too stupid to consider.

Second, when you hand something out for absolutely no cost to the user, who wants to guess what happens to the value and worth of that item? Anyone? Bueller?

Is it a bad idea? If so, why?

Having others pay for something does not make it better. I feel students and families have to have some skin in the game. See that's the problem with the left. You feel more money is the sabior The problem with higher education is it's become a massive profit center. The cost for college really needs to be scaled way back. And you know who is partly to blame? The government making it easy to get loans. Sound familiar?

Oh and if you can't afford community college for your kids you can't afford to have them. I have clients who didn't bat an eye when I told them four years of college for their two kids would run about $300k. You know why? They can afford it.

On the plus side many employers are complaining there are not enough see workers to fill jobs, so this would help fill the gap. And relief from student loans would help consumer spending

Wrong. Students going to college on someone else's nickel will be even less motivated to work. And there are alternatives to loans you know.

Edited by Chef Jim

Having others pay for something does not make it better. I feel students and families have to have some skin in the game. See that's the problem with the left. You feel more money is the sabior The problem with higher education is it's become a massive profit center. The cost for college really needs to be scaled way back. And you know who is partly to blame? The government making it easy to get loans. Sound familiar?

Oh and if you can't afford community college for your kids you can't afford to have them. I have clients who didn't bat an eye when I told them four years of college for their two kids would run about $300k. You know why? They can afford it.

I agree with this. The system we have now encourages higher tuition levels. There is major inflation taking place. The problem is how do you solve it? I just don't think minor tweaks will work. It's so out of whack we have to somehow figure out a way to reform the entire syste, and root out this inflation.

I agree with this. The system we have now encourages higher tuition levels. There is major inflation taking place. The problem is how do you solve it? I just don't think minor tweaks will work. It's so out of whack we have to somehow figure out a way to reform the entire syste, and root out this inflation.

Yup. And you think college inflation is high now. Wait until tuition comes from an endless source. Once again the left and their feel good but not thought through ideas.

Chef, your arguments are making me support the idea more and more. Too expensive to educate our people for the modern economy? Not a great argument

It's too expensive so your plan is to make it "free"? Seriously?? There needs to be a way to reduce the costs. The left always attacks problems from the revenue side not the expense side.

And I suggest you give us a reason why it should be free before saying it's a great idea.

Edited by Chef Jim

Yup. And you think college inflation is high now. Wait until tuition comes from an endless source. Once again the left and their feel good but not thought through ideas.

It's too expensive so your plan is to make it "free"? Seriously?? There needs to be a way to reduce the costs. The left always attacks problems from the revenue side not the expense side.

And I suggest you give us a reason why it should be free before saying it's a great idea.

What does "Too expensive" mean? It means people cannot afford it, and they don't get skills, degrees, jobs, etc. Finding another to fund it that takes the burden off of middle class and poor people could grow the economy and have it literally pay for itself with more consumer spending, higher productivity and economic growth.

What did you say was your solution for slashing education/costs?

What does "Too expensive" mean? It means people cannot afford it, and they don't get skills, degrees, jobs, etc. Finding another to fund it that takes the burden off of middle class and poor people could grow the economy and have it literally pay for itself with more consumer spending, higher productivity and economic growth.

Typical SoProg. Too stupid to address WHY something is expensive, but not too lazy to suggest someone else pay for it.

Why should college be free and why should Wall Street pay for it?

Fantastic! So neither of you can answer that question. Those feel good things typically can't be justified.

I answered your question Chef, you may not like the answer but I answered.

I answered your question Chef, you may not like the answer but I answered.

You answered nothing. Please explain how "free" college is going to benefit the country and individuals? Are you talking Bachelor, Masters, Phd's? How's it going to work? Who gets in and why? Can't all of a sudden open the doors to all comers.

And why is WS as bad as cigarette? That's an effing assinine comparison. If you're taxing bad things to fund education why not tax actual cigarettes. Remember when they introduced the lottery and all that money was going to help the schools? How's that worked out?

You are a piece of trash

Yeah I hear ya. I get pissed too when I get called out on something and I know deep down they're right.

You answered nothing.

Yeah I hear ya. I get pissed too when I get called out on something and I know deep down they're right.

I was just saying I did not know. So you and trash are both wrong. Not sure why you had to tag onto that, he comes out and attacks me for nothing and you join him?

You answered nothing. Please explain how "free" college is going to benefit the country and individuals? Are you talking Bachelor, Masters, Phd's? How's it going to work? Who gets in and why? Can't all of a sudden open the doors to all comers.

These are such stupid questions. A more educated and skilled workforce isn't going to help the country? And yes, it will be open to everyone that will want to go in and tray and work and get decent grades.

I was just saying I did not know. So you and trash are both wrong. Not sure why you had to tag onto that, he comes out and attacks me for nothing and you join him?

Attack you for nothing? You admit you don't know how something is going to work and I commend you for that. But then you go on to pump something up you have no idea how it's going to work. That's not a good debate tactic. There not once did I call you a name. I'm getting soft in my old age.

Oh hell with it. You're a dumbass. :D