"How a rookie HC derailed a rookie QB"/All-22 of EJ Manuel

Posted: Apr 14, 2015

Steve DeBerg: "I expect really big things from EJ"

Former NFL quarterback Steve DeBerg joined The John Murphy Show to discuss his offseason training with EJ Manuel and why expects the third year QB will break out next season.

This interview only reaffirms my confidence in EJ having a breakout season this year.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Steve-DeBerg-I-expect-really-big-things-from-EJ/36aea042-bbf7-4b4a-b72f-42c1e35087be

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article is for Chan, Metz, Matthew Collar(WGR) and others who think EJ is a BUST.

https://footballisstupid.wordpress.com/tag/ej-manuel/

My God in heaven.

Dude for the millionth time, I never said EJ is bust. I don't think EJ is a bust. Does anyone actually read what I write? Not that I think that what I write is that important but we are in a forum here and people keep telling me what I think when they could very easily take the time to read what I think. It's all there for ya folks.

For the record, all I have maintained over and over and over again is that I think it's less than likely that Manuel develops into a reliable franchise QB, we re-sign him and he is our clear cut starter opening day 2017. In fact, only two people have said that they disagree with me on this and that they think he will be- LB get ball and Bills fan 4 life. So basically, until I hear otherwise, everyone agrees with me. Do you think he will be?

And that article is extremely short-sighted. "EJ was 2-2..." Yeah he was. But I don't recall anyone on here having an issue with him being benched after the Houston game! I don't think anyone including myself thought or thinks that was the end of his career but Bills fans (myself included) kinda wanted to win football games last year, as they always do. They were not winning in Detroit with EJ Manuel, everyone knew it, Kyle Orton played pretty well, they won, everyone was happy. It was the right move then, it was the right move now. Did anyone want them to re-insert Manuel after the Detroit game!?! And I have even gone on record saying that I was advocating to put Manuel back in later in the season after Orton began to suck too. Please, PLEASE do not put words in my mouth.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

My God in heaven.

Dude for the millionth time, I never said EJ is bust. I don't think EJ is a bust. Does anyone actually read what I write? Not that I think that what I write is that important but we are in a forum here and people keep telling me what I think when they could very easily take the time to read what I think. It's all there for ya folks.

For the record, all I have maintained over and over and over again is that I think it's less than likely that Manuel develops into a reliable franchise QB, we re-sign him and he is our clear cut starter opening day 2017. In fact, only two people have said that they disagree with me on this and that they think he will be- LB get ball and Bills fan 4 life. So basically, until I hear otherwise, everyone agrees with me. Do you think he will be?

And that article is extremely short-sighted. "EJ was 2-2..." Yeah he was. But I don't recall anyone on here having an issue with him being benched after the Houston game! I don't think anyone including myself thought or thinks that was the end of his career but Bills fans (myself included) kinda wanted to win football games last year, as they always do. They were not winning in Detroit with EJ Manuel, everyone knew it, Kyle Orton played pretty well, they won, everyone was happy. It was the right move then, it was the right move now. Did anyone want them to re-insert Manuel after the Detroit game!?! And I have even gone on record saying that I was advocating to put Manuel back in later in the season after Orton began to suck too. Please, PLEASE do not put words in my mouth.

Sorry for misinterpreting your comments

My God in heaven.

then good sir you are not reading and comprehending what some of us have been saying.

Yes, we can see that you are not an EJ hater or that you call him a bust (yet), you just don't think he's "the right one".

answer's to the bold

ME ME ME ME ME

Horton hears a who should have not been inserted as the #1 QB (even in hindsight as we saw, he failed to produce enough)

My God in heaven.

Sorry for misinterpreting your comments on this forum. And by the way, add me to the list with LB and 4 life!!

Sorry for misinterpreting your comments on this forum. And by the way, add me to the list with LB and 4 life!!

OK cool, we got 3. Anyone else think that it's MORE than likely that EJ develops into a franchise QB? Just want to know who gets to say "I told you so" if he does.

OK cool, we got 3. Anyone else think that it's MORE than likely that EJ develops into a franchise QB? Just want to know who gets to say "I told you so" if he does.

Why must you include the criteria of franchise QB?

Why not a solid QB that helps the Bills win and gets them into the playoffs?

i cannot stand Matthew Coller for so many reasons. He's all about the hot takes. It's incredibly annoying.

He makes fun of hot takes, yet he has become the king of them. He seems to pain him and Jeremt White (who I used to really like and is a good guy in person) to talk about other sports besides hockey.

As much as I want EJ to step up because it's good for the franchise to have a 1st round pick succeed, I want him to be the guy just to make a lot of media look stupid. :)

I think any rational Bills fan would take that and build a statue for the qb who does that.

It is also, you must confess, a result of the coaches sticking with him. Go back to the week after his capitulation in Buffalo last September..... Philbin refusing to commit to Tannehill being the starter for the following week until the Wednesday I think it was. Clearly Philbin had to go home and sleep on that and make a call. He did that and Tannehill played well the next week and went on to have a pretty solid year. 2 weeks later Marrone made a different call.... now am I saying that EJ would definitely have made that same step? No. But don't pretend that the Dolphins didn't get close to pulling to cord on Tannehill he proved himself when in the last chance saloon EJ was never given that chance he was benched (and I am not even arguing wrongly I am just saying that it was as much Philbin as Tannehill that led to the latter "proving himself").

That, and I can recall always reading articles pushing Tallywhacker by stating if he doesn't improve he would be replaced by Matt Moore. Genuine competition usually generates success. 4045 yards 27 TD's vs 12 INTs tells me the kid is improving. Plus he was also the 3rd most sacked QB last year with 46 sacks. If the Dolphins upgrade their line properly this off season... then watch out for the Phins!

Metz - I agree your comments were taken out of context, and from his replies do not think skycap meant to throw you under the bus. I actually am hopeful, but skeptical on EJ. I want this guy to win, and i want him to be a product of bad coaching, knee jerk reactions, and maybe with the right coaching and guidance, and the right game plan, and supporting staff i.e. line that can protect for more than 1.5 seconds, he can be a winner.

He was rattled by the time of the Texans game. I did think maybe later in the year like you we could give him a shot, but Marrone was trying to save his job. I'm hopeful not confident, and would love to be wrong, so I could care less on "I told you so crap".

My concern is living in FL I watched him at FSU. He wasn't accurate then. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's a duck.

I pray for the sake of our team, I'm wrong, they have the right line for him, the right talent at skill positions, the line performs at a high level, and he develops with little hiccups here and there to a solid QB we can have for years. That is what I want. I'm just very skeptical based on past performance.

Well if he's a solid QB, wins and gets us to the playoffs then that is pretty much the definition of a franchise QB. If he does that, he WILL be our starter opening day 2017. You do not have to be Andrew Luck to be a franchise QB. Ryan Tannehill is on track to be a franchise QB if he isn't already.

Metz - I agree your comments were taken out of context, and from his replies do not think skycap meant to throw you under the bus. I actually am hopeful, but skeptical on EJ. I want this guy to win, and i want him to be a product of bad coaching, knee jerk reactions, and maybe with the right coaching and guidance, and the right game plan, and supporting staff i.e. line that can protect for more than 1.5 seconds, he can be a winner.

He was rattled by the time of the Texans game. I did think maybe later in the year like you we could give him a shot, but Marrone was trying to save his job. I'm hopeful not confident, and would love to be wrong, so I could care less on "I told you so crap".

My concern is living in FL I watched him at FSU. He wasn't accurate then. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's a duck.

I pray for the sake of our team, I'm wrong, they have the right line for him, the right talent at skill positions, the line performs at a high level, and he develops with little hiccups here and there to a solid QB we can have for years. That is what I want. I'm just very skeptical based on past performance.

Yes agreed. The fact that he wasn't very good in college to begin with should very much factor into peoples' outlook on the guy. That along with his 2014 offseason/preseason are too often overlooked around these parts and instead you get the "So he throws one bad pass that JJ Watt intercepts and now you want to give up on the guy?" crowd.

then good sir you are not reading and comprehending what some of us have been saying.

Yes, we can see that you are not an EJ hater or that you call him a bust (yet), you just don't think he's "the right one".

answer's to the bold

ME ME ME ME ME

Horton hears a who should have not been inserted as the #1 QB (even in hindsight as we saw, he failed to produce enough)

Couple questions and please let's keep it civil:

So you wanted to let Manuel play another game after the San Diego and Houston games, right? What if he played every bit as poorly against Detroit as he did in the previous two games and they lost that one too. Then would you have considered playing Orton the following week against New England or were you dead set on riding him out all season, chance at the playoffs be damned? And what about after Orton was 3-1, had the team at 5-3 and was looking pretty damn good? Still would've went back to Manuel then?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Well if he's a solid QB, wins and gets us to the playoffs then that is pretty much the definition of a franchise QB. If he does that, he WILL be our starter opening day 2017. You do not have to be Andrew Luck to be a franchise QB. Ryan Tannehill is on track to be a franchise QB if he isn't already.

Yes agreed. The fact that he wasn't very good in college to begin with should very much factor into peoples' outlook on the guy. That along with his 2014 offseason/preseason are too often overlooked around these parts and instead you get the "So he throws one bad pass that JJ Watt intercepts and now you want to give up on the guy?" crowd.

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that his preseason was worrisome but you also need to keep in mind that's the first time he started working with a qb coach. Do you think it's possible that part of his poor showing could have been the result of him learning new things that hackett wasn't teaching him the year prior?

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that his preseason was worrisome but you also need to keep in mind that's the first time he started working with a qb coach. Do you think it's possible that part of his poor showing could have been the result of him learning new things that hackett wasn't teaching him the year prior?

No I think that throwing bad footballs in 7-on-7 drills with no pads has nothing to do with anything in the world other than the fact that he simply might not be a very good QB. But again, that's just my very humble opinion.

Couple questions and please let's keep it civil:

So you wanted to let Manuel play another game after the San Diego and Houston games, right? What if he played every bit as poorly against Detroit as he did in the previous two games and they lost that one too. Then would you have considered playing Orton the following week against New England or were you dead set on riding him out all season, chance at the playoffs be damned? And what about after Orton was 3-1, had the team at 5-3 and was looking pretty damn good? Still would've went back to Manuel then?

THEN I WOULD KNOW MORE THAN I DO NOW AND WOULD BE WILLING TO PASS JUDGEMENT IF THE BILLS FINISHED 6-10 OR WORSE.

But I don't think that would have been the outcome ... have you forgotten when you were ridiculing me for saying the Bills could have finished 10-6 in 2014 with EJ?

WRT to being civil? I am not the one calling others idiots or ignorant.

I usually only get rude when ridiculed for no good reason.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Might be time to tuck in this thread for night-night.

What say ya'll...

What will we all yell at each other and disagree on then?

All blue unis can only go so many pages.

Edited by The Wiz