"How a rookie HC derailed a rookie QB"/All-22 of EJ Manuel

So he somehow proved himself worthy of starting 30 more games by his play over his first 16 games, despite having a nearly identical winning percentage, completion percentage, TD/INT ratio, QB rating, and YPA, to EJ over that time period?

Do you honestly think that? Because that, to me, sounds crazy.

His first 14 games were in his rookie year. He continued to elevate in his second year. So yes, he got more games after his first 14, and proved more. Then he got another 16 and proved even more. It's a direct relationship between Ryan Tannehill's positive performances, and how many games he's played. Edited by FireChan

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His first 14 games were in his rookie year. He continued to elevate in his second year. So yes, he got more games after his first 14, and proved more. Then he got another 16 and proved even more. It's a direct relationship between Ryan Tannehill's positive performances, and how many games he's played.

If he was the Bills qb last year,after 4 games where he had identical stats to EJ, the majority of fans would have wanted him benched. Just like the majority of Fin fans and media did.

If he was the Bills qb last year,after 4 games where he had identical stats to EJ, the majority of fans would have wanted him benched. Just like the majority of Fin fans and media did.

Remember that quote about things you don't know?

Edited by FireChan

His first 14 games were in his rookie year. He continued to elevate in his second year. So yes, he got more games after his first 14, and proved more. Then he got another 16 and proved even more. It's a direct relationship between Ryan Tannehill's positive performances, and how many games he's played.

I see.

So suppose Tannehill had a similar situation to EJ, where he started off winning games and playing efficiently in year 2, and then hit a rough patch where his play suffered and the team lost multiple games in a row. Do you think his coach would've (or should've) bench him?

Wait...never mind that question. Don't bother answering. It happened:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TannRy00/gamelog/

Miami strarted 3-0 in 2013, then Tannehill's play took a big hit, and as a result they lost 4 straight games. During that stretch, his completion percentage dipped down into the low 50s, his QB rating dropped to below 80, and he had 2 consecutive games with a YPA below 5.3.

Exactly what part of that involved him continuing to prove himself and earning more starts? Was it the inconsistency, the losing record, or the declining performances?

It seems you're talking yourself into something of a circle here.

Remember that quote about things you don't know?

It's true and you know. http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24720927/report-dolphins-could-bench-ryan-tannehill-joe-philbin-non-committal

If anyone can find it (and I tried) , there was a thread on here after the benching of Tannehill talk started. The majority of fans were in favor it.

FYI, I stay consistent and said they should keep starting RT.

I see.

So suppose Tannehill had a similar situation to EJ, where he started off winning games and playing efficiently in year 2, and then hit a rough patch where his play suffered and the team lost multiple games in a row. Do you think his coach would've (or should've) bench him?

Miami strarted 3-0 in 2013, then Tannehill's play took a big hit, and as a result they lost 4 straight games. During that stretch, his completion percentage dipped down into the low 50s, his QB rating dropped to below 80, and he had 2 consecutive games with a YPA below 5.3.

Exactly what part of that involved him continuing to prove himself and earning more starts? Was it the inconsistency, the losing record, or the declining performances?

He didn't have a game as bad as the Houston one. He also was a better prospect.

It's true and you know. http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24720927/report-dolphins-could-bench-ryan-tannehill-joe-philbin-non-committal

If anyone can find it (and I tried) , there was a thread on here after the benching of Tannehill talk started. The majority of fans were in favor it.

He wasn't the Bills QB last year. You can't possibly know.

He wasn't the Bills QB last year. You can't possibly know.

Now I'm not going to sit here and say that EJ played well in the Houston game. But 21/44 for 225 yards with 2TD and 2INT, while not a great (or even good) performance, is not among the worst performances ever.

And for comparison, I'll give you Tannehill's stats from a MIA loss to GB .. 20/31 for 244 yards with 2TD and 2INT. Better that EJ's HOU game? Yes. By a lot? Hell no. And the Bills lost the HOU game because of play calling and defense, anyway.

Last game of the losing streak was nearly identical:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013102703/2013/REG8/dolphins@patriots#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap2000000270974&tab=analyze

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400554212

As to the better prospect: Manuel had started for 2+ seasons and played in 4 bowl games (and won all of them), while Tannehill was a WR until his Junior year, and had 1 year of starting experience.

Tannehill (JR) - 13GS, 7-6 record, 327 comp/531 att (61.6%), 29 TD, 15 INT, 3,744 yds, 7.1 YPA

Manuel (SR) - 14GS, 12-2 record, 263 comp/387 att (68%), 23 TD, 10 INT, 3,397 yds, 8.8 YPA

I'm actually surprised right now; you're not normally so dug in on what appears to be an indefensible stance.

Last game of the losing streak was nearly identical:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013102703/2013/REG8/dolphins@patriots#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap2000000270974&tab=analyze

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400554212

As to the better prospect: Manuel had started for 2+ seasons and played in 4 bowl games (and won all of them), while Tannehill was a WR until his Junior year, and had 1 year of starting experience.

Tannehill (JR) - 13GS, 7-6 record, 327 comp/531 att (61.6%), 29 TD, 15 INT, 3,744 yds, 7.1 YPA

Manuel (SR) - 14GS, 12-2 record, 263 comp/387 att (68%), 23 TD, 10 INT, 3,397 yds, 8.8 YPA

I'm actually surprised right now; you're not normally so dug in on what appears to be an indefensible stance.

Stats of the last two games may have been identical, but EJ's was worse, based on his correct reads and refusal to throw due to a lack of confidence.

I'm probably a little biased because I always liked Tanny more than EJ, TBH.

Stats of the last two games may have been identical, but EJ's was worse, based on his correct reads and refusal to throw due to a lack of confidence.

Welp.

Good of you to own up to that...I do wonder: did you watch the Tannehill-NE game to which I'm referring? If so, do you remember it well? I'm just unsure of how you can say that EJ was worse unless both were the case.

Good of you to own up to that...I do wonder: did you watch the Tannehill-NE game to which I'm referring? If so, do you remember it well? I'm just unsure of how you can say that EJ was worse unless both were the case.

I'll admit I don't remember it that well. But it didn't stick in my head as much as Houston.

I'll admit I don't remember it that well. But it didn't stick in my head as much as Houston.

What sticks in my head for the Houston game is how awesome Fitzpatrick looked and how our offense was dominating with the run game before Nate inexplicably abandoned it.

Too many people only remember the Watt (unblocked Watt) Pick-6.

What sticks in my head for the Houston game is how awesome Fitzpatrick looked and how our offense was dominating with the run game before Nate inexplicably abandoned it.

Dude come on man. Our running game wasn't that good, our defense played well and Fitzpatrick wasn't that good. Our o-line did suck, I'll give you that. And there were a few passes that should've been caught. But I don't only remember the Watt play. I also remember that Woods was targeted 12 times and had 3 catches for 17 yards. I'm trying to let this die but EJ Manuel was freaking miserable throughout that entire game. The Williams TD was a hell of a play by EJ but you take that out of the equation and you're looking at 43 attempts and 145 yards. Here's to hoping he improves, wins the job outright and becomes our guy. I'm officially pulling for him to win the job. But let's not try and sugarcoat the Houston game.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Dude come on man. Our running game wasn't that good, our defense played well and Fitzpatrick wasn't that good. Our o-line did suck, I'll give you that. And there were a few passes that should've been caught. But I don't only remember the Watt play. I also remember that Woods was targeted 12 times and had 3 catches for 17 yards. I'm trying to let this die but EJ Manuel was freaking miserable throughout that entire game. The Williams TD was a hell of a play by EJ but you take that out of the equation and you're looking at 43 attempts and 145 yards. Here's to hoping he improves, wins the job outright and becomes our guy. I'm officially pulling for him to win the job. But let's not try and sugarcoat the Houston game.

I agree with Metz here.....

Fitz struggled.....and made plays here and there

The Running game was NOT that good

The thing that sticks out to me (especially because I just rewatched it) was the amount of DROPPED PASSES in that game......catchable dropped passes

Sammy had a bunch

I see.

IMO, the reason that T looked improved last year is that they went to a short passing game. He still doesn't like to throw long. Ask Wallace.

White wash city. Dominant running?

You do realize that in Tanny's initial years he had people talking about whether he would ever be a legit starting QB........do you remember that talk? Coming from the teams own fans to

I seem to vaguely recall us gleefully commenting on a Dolphins fan thread after the away game in 2013 after Mario had strip sacked Tanny to set up the win in the final minutes, and Robey had a pick 6. The Dolphin fans were furious.

Again, no where does this guarantee that EJ will walk into training camp and everything will click, and that he will be the unquestioned starter, and afterwards never lose a game for us. I'm just saying that we are looking at two very athletic raw prospects with a lot of theoretically upside had a rough starts in their first 14 games. One was able to make the jump after about 30 games. The other is at 14.

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly