"How a rookie HC derailed a rookie QB"/All-22 of EJ Manuel

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I lied, I'm back.

If Derek Carr has an offseason and preseason that is so incredibly alarmingly, shockingly, startlingly bad that the Raiders have to throw big money at a retired QB who has stated he doesn't want to play anymore on the eve of the season as an insurance policy, then and only then will they be in the same place going into their respective second seasons.

You gotta admit, I won that one.

Every team should have a veteran qb to back up a young qb. Who doesn't think that's a good idea? The reason Orton was signed was because Thad regressed. It forced their hand.

My question has always been the pulling of a qb at 2-2 by a coach who was so highly thought of, that after going 9-7, became an oline coach Jacksonville. A qb who had similar stats to Tannehill and more touchdown passes that Brady at that point?

How can anyone trust anything Marrone did (except hire DCs for our super talented defense)? He's a joke.

OK I lied, I'm back.

If Derek Carr has an offseason and preseason that is so incredibly alarmingly, shockingly, startlingly bad that the Raiders have to throw big money at a retired QB who has stated he doesn't want to play anymore on the eve of the season as an insurance policy, then and only then will they be in the same place going into their respective second seasons.

You gotta admit, I won that one.

LOL

Every team should have a veteran qb to back up a young qb. Who doesn't think that's a good idea? The reason Orton was signed was because Thad regressed. It forced their hand.

My question has always been the pulling of a qb at 2-2 by a coach who was so highly thought of, that after going 9-7, became an oline coach Jacksonville. A qb who had similar stats to Tannehill and more touchdown passes that Brady at that point?

How can anyone trust anything Marrone did (except hire DCs for our super talented defense)? He's a joke.

That's three QBs that regressed under Marrone. Weird.

Perhaps he doesn't...now, whether or not he should is another matter IMO. Mutually exclusive from the EJ discussion is the topic of whether or not Carr should have his coach's unquestioned confidence as a starter; my opinion is that I wouldn't be very comfortable with him as my only option.

I think that's a slightly different question of whether he's your unquestionable starter or whether you're comfortable with him as your only option. It's clear in retrospect that Marrone answered no to both those questions, while Oakland is yes and no.

To be a fly in the room in those offensive coach meetings.....

EVERY SINGLE QB under the Marrone era got WORSE as time goes on.....I mean.....WTF?

If Norv Turner or Brice Arians were the Bills' offensive coaches and gave up on EJ, I'd be out. But Marrone and Hackett??? I'm willing to give EJ another shot.

You really believe that, don't you.

You really believe that, don't you.

Why wouldn't I? Thad played well in 2013 & looked to be a quality backup. If they wanted Orton that bad, they would have targeted him much earlier. I don't know how anyone can argue this.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Why wouldn't I? Thad played well in 2013 & looked to be a quality backup. If they wanted Orton that bad, they would have targeted him much earlier. I don't know how anyone can argue this.

So you are prepared to go on record as stating that EJ Manuel's 2014 dumpster fire of an offseason and preseason played no role in the signing of Orton? You are starting to tread dangerously close to Bills Fan 4 Life territory.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I

Here's my theory. I think they wanted Orton earlier and he played hard to get. Maybe it was money or a desire to miss training camp altogether and still get a big payday to be the sideline, clipboard holder. Only Marrone messed with the plan by naming him the starter for week 5 and refusing to bench him no matter how bad he played the rest of way. Kyle's plan backfired and he played way more football than he either wanted or was prepared for, so retirement was his best option.

So you are prepared to go on record as stating that EJ Manuel's 2014 dumpster fire of an offseason and preseason played no role in the signing of Orton? You are starting to tread dangerously close to Bills Fan 4 Life territory.

What are you are talking about? Lewis was released and then Orton was signed 3 days later on August 29th. If Lewis didn't regress, Orton won't have been signed. You don't wait until August 29 to sign a qb unless your hand is forced.

I

Here's my theory. I think they wanted Orton earlier and he played hard to get. Maybe it was money or a desire to miss training camp altogether and still get a big payday to be the sideline, clipboard holder. Only Marrone messed with the plan by naming him the starter for week 5 and refusing to bench him no matter how bad he played the rest of way. Kyle's plan backfired and he played way more football than he either wanted or was prepared for, so retirement was his best option.

Orton used for a paycheck. Marrone was too stubborn to admit Orton wasn't that good and to give EJ another shot. Orton is now avoiding contact with his kids and Marrone is coaching oline. And we are still arguing about EJ, the only one of the three who is still with the team.

What are you are talking about? Lewis was released and then Orton was signed 3 days later on August 29th. If Lewis didn't regress, Orton won't have been signed. You don't wait until August 29 to sign a qb unless your hand is forced.

Got it. So after EJ Manuel sucked in pretty much every single practice and certainly every single preseason game, the Bills brass was like, "Well obviously we're good to go at starting QB but man, Thad Lewis is a giant concern at backup QB. Let's dump him and coax this guy out of retirement by paying him $5 million a season just to hold a clipboard. I mean, I'm sure we'll never have to actually use him because EJ looks great but we really need a good backup QB just in case he gets injured." OK, just wanted to make sure.

Look I agree that their hand was forced but to say that Manuel had nothing to do with their hand being forced is kind of insane. It's almost historically inaccurate.

Orton used for a paycheck. Marrone was too stubborn to admit Orton wasn't that good and to give EJ another shot. Orton is now avoiding contact with his kids and Marrone is coaching oline. And we are still arguing about EJ, the only one of the three who is still with the team.

I think it was a combination. I don't think that Marrone was thrilled with any QB on the roster, and when they all looked like garbage in the summer he threw the public fit on the sidelines. I'm guessing it was that fit that pushed Whaley to match Orton's asking price.

I think it was a combination. I don't think that Marrone was thrilled with any QB on the roster, and when they all looked like garbage in the summer he threw the public fit on the sidelines. I'm guessing it was that fit that pushed Whaley to match Orton's asking price.

Right because Marrone was so concerned with Thad Lewis's play.