"How a rookie HC derailed a rookie QB"/All-22 of EJ Manuel

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh please. I'm sure the fact our defense is loaded with 1st and 2nd round picks and we made Mario the highest paid defensive player in history had nothing to do with it. Talent wins on defense because it's more reactionary. All the last DCs prove is how terrible Wanny was. Prediction: our DC is going to be really good again and I'm not even sure who are DC officially is.

But let's say Marrone was a genius at picking DCs to magically make our super talented defense good. He was that bad in picking his OC and handling the oline. 2 things he had a direct impact on. But fine, I would have been ok with Marrone picking DCs for our super talented defense again as long as that was all he would do.

They were in a 3 way tie for 14th place in average ypc. That is all about play design.

And I never doubted his ineptitude in picking offensive coaches or coaching an offense. I was on here consistently last season saying how much the scheme sucked and how much the 3 TE tight formation was actually hampering our offense.

I just happen to think he picked 2 good DCs and I think saying anyone could do that job is folly and comparing them tona Rex Ryan defense might not be an accurate reflection of whether "any moron" could coach that unit.

The author of this article is on 1270 am right now and he is damning Doug Marrone and his handling of EJ Manuel.

Says EJ Manuel had the 4th best passer rating in 2013 after his first four games before Marrone changed the play calling. Only Rodgers, Romo and Manning were better!!

Manuel had a 89 passer rating before being benched last year.

7-17: Warren Sharp on Sports Radio 1270 with Rich Gaenzler (18:15)

@1270TheFan

On the show today: Warren @SharpFootball at 12:35.

Sharp on EJ/Marrone: Coaches should have seen EJ's strengths. They had a full offseason & when they came back, kept restricting him.

Sharp: Kaep was much more read-option, eased into the situation. EJ has more WRs than Kaep. [Rex] should allow EJ to play to his strengths.

Sharp: The Bills are an interesting team, I like their offseason moves. I'm not sold on Cassel. They have a soft schedule spot in the middle

Warren @SharpFootball's full article on EJ Manuel and Doug Marrone as discussed on the RG show How a Rookie Head Coach Derailed a Rookie Quarterback, then Vanished with $4 Million

I suggest Metz live and FireChan listen to interview!! Put pillow under chin to prevent damage from jaw dropping!! Hope this will curb the EJ sucks brigade.

I have not listened to this yet but are you suggesting that after listening, I will be like, "s**t I was wrong all along, EJ Manuel is definitely going to be the Bills' starting QB week 1 2017?" I am the "hater" and the party pooper here yet I am merely saying, let's just see what happens. Why are so many of you in a tizzy to prove that EJ Manuel has already proven that he is going to be a franchise QB. We will all know the answer to this question sooner than later. You know how at the end of PCU, Jeremy Piven says "we're not gonna protest?" Can we all just say, "let's just let this thing play out?"

And it was before my time on TBD but I can't imagine there weren't similar conversations on here regarding JP Losman and Trent Edwards, right? Were the guys who were saying, "I don't know guys, I'm not so sure it's happening for this Edwards guy" cast aside as "haters" and such then too? Did you apologize to them when JP Losman retired? How does this work going forward?

So literally 99% of the non-Bills fans in the United States (I'm sure- certainly every credible analyst) think there is a less than 50% chance that EJ Manuel develops into am legitimate starting QB in this league and on this website, it's like me and two other guys and we're the a**holes. Got it.

I want someone to speak up right now and say, "I think there is a better than 50% chance that Edward Joseph Manuel (or whatever his name is) is the Bills starting QB week 1 2017." I dare you. One of you say it.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Agree I'm open minded about this. However, it looks like if anything Rex is going to run more than Marrone.

you may have missed the point. On first down Moron went from 45 % pass to 209% pass. Meaning 80% of ALL first down plays were runs. You do not need to be a rocket scientist to know that on 1st down you prepare for the run.

The Bills ppg in Sept of 2013 was about 22, second ONLY to Peyton Manning. (I don't have the exact facts but I am 99.9% sure I have the 2nd to Manning part right.)

THEN the Moron changed strategies and the floor fell out from under the rookie.

you may have missed the point. On first down Moron went from 45 % pass to 209% pass. Meaning 80% of ALL first down plays were runs. You do not need to be a rocket scientist to know that on 1st down you prepare for the run.

The Bills ppg in Sept of 2013 was about 22, second ONLY to Peyton Manning. (I don't have the exact facts but I am 99.9% sure I have the 2nd to Manning part right.)

THEN the Moron changed strategies and the floor fell out from under the rookie.

Dude there is absolutely no way that 22 PPG was 2nd in the NFL after any weeks. That's literally below average. So in other words, the .1% part was actually right. Don't you see that none of this matters? In two weeks is what matters. The SECOND he takes the field, you can flush all these laughably contrived and ERRONEOUS statistics of yours down the proverbial toilet. It's almost here folks. Can we just wait and see what happens!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! You are simply wasting your time- "(in whiny baby voice) Well Marrone..." It doesn't matter! If he's good, he's good, if he's not, he's not. And then what Marrone did on first downs in September of 2013 or whatever the hell you're talking about can be laid to rest 4-EVER!!!

Someone else came up with "dreamer" a while back and I thought it was kinda funny. Oh well. It was purely in retaliation for constantly being called a "hater" for thinking there is less than a 50% chance that EJ develops into a franchise QB. Is that so radical a stance? If you polled all the guys on NFL Network, ESPN and the Adam Schefters of the world, they would all agree with me. Every last one of them. I'm still trying to figure out what I've said that would lead anyone to believe that I am rooting against him.

Yet you assume that when I say detractor I mean hater? Come on man, you are not that stupid and neither are the rest of us.

As to "said" POLL I already stated my opinion of the ESPN & CNN so called experts. They dislike the Bills ergo EJ isn't in the equation. These experts see 15 years of no playoffs and not a name like Luck so they all crap on the Bills.

Dude there is absolutely no way that 22 PPG was 2nd in the NFL after any weeks. That's literally below average. RRRRRGGGHH!!!!!

some one was prophetic with 24ppg

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/7---Will-the-offense-average-24-points-per-game/9bf4b6bb-74aa-418f-af34-8e6e524e6a12

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2013.htm

21, 24, 20, 23 Sept 2013 = 22

24, 24, 23 17 Oct 2013

please provide a link to prove how incorrect I am

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I suggest Metz live and FireChan listen to interview!! Put pillow under chin to prevent damage from jaw dropping!! Hope this will curb the EJ sucks brigade.

it will not. nothing but a full season of EJ and 10-6 record will sway them

So literally 99% of the non-Bills fans in the United States (I'm sure- certainly every credible analyst) think there is a less than 50% chance that EJ Manuel develops into am legitimate starting QB in this league and on this website, it's like me and two other guys and we're the a**holes. Got it.

the rest of the NFL world thinks Bills fans rate 228th in fan support for christ sake !!!!

Yet you assume that when I say detractor I mean hater? Come on man, you are not that stupid and neither are the rest of us.

As to "said" POLL I already stated my opinion of the ESPN & CNN so called experts. They dislike the Bills ergo EJ isn't in the equation. These experts see 15 years of no playoffs and not a name like Luck so they all crap on the Bills.

some one was prophetic with 24ppg

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/7---Will-the-offense-average-24-points-per-game/9bf4b6bb-74aa-418f-af34-8e6e524e6a12

21, 24, 20, 23 Sept 2013 = 22

24, 24, 23 17 Oct 2013

please provide a link to prove how incorrect I am

I couldn't be any more sincere when I say that I have no idea what you're talking about.

YOU: Bills were 2nd in the NFL in PPG with 22 after 4 weeks in 2013.

ME: No, that's impossible.

YOU: Here is a link to an article in which Chris Brown asks whether or not the Bills can average 24 points a game prior to the 2013 season.

I mean, dude, what are we talking about here?

Can we please just let it play out? You aren't going to prove to me that EJ Manuel will probably develop into a franchise QB and I'm not going to prove to you the contrary. So can we say, hey man, let's drink a cold beer, let this thing play out and say, "go bills?" Like, please?

the rest of the NFL world thinks Bills fans rate 228th in fan support for christ sake !!!!

As it freaking should! So some podcast with some kid talking about the Bills' propensity to run on first down should change my mind? Yes, for once we agree! It would take EJ Manuel playing well, holding down the starting job and winning actual regular season games to sway me! Thank you, we agree! So if EJ performs poorly again this year but they're running a lot on first down are you going to continue this nonsensical defense?

The fan support thing is ridiculous. Bills are top 3. Probably third behind Green Bay and Kansas City, who was ranked 27th in that ridiculous study. So?

thanks for proving our point

You think EJ is a bust and no one will change your mind

No, you see HE could change my mind. If he performs well, that will change my mind. Your statistics about the Bills running a lot on first down in September of 2013 have not changed my mind that I think he PROBABLY WON'T become a franchise QB. Does that make sense at all? And please find one post where I have ever used the word "bust" in the same sentence as EJ Manuel (besides this one). Spoiler alert: I haven't.

I have not listened to this yet but are you suggesting that after listening, I will be like, "s**t I was wrong all along, EJ Manuel is definitely going to be the Bills' starting QB week 1 2017?" I am the "hater" and the party pooper here yet I am merely saying, let's just see what happens. Why are so many of you in a tizzy to prove that EJ Manuel has already proven that he is going to be a franchise QB. We will all know the answer to this question sooner than later. You know how at the end of PCU, Jeremy Piven says "we're not gonna protest?" Can we all just say, "let's just let this thing play out?"

And it was before my time on TBD but I can't imagine there weren't similar conversations on here regarding JP Losman and Trent Edwards, right? Were the guys who were saying, "I don't know guys, I'm not so sure it's happening for this Edwards guy" cast aside as "haters" and such then too? Did you apologize to them when JP Losman retired? How does this work going forward?

I want someone to speak up right now and say, "I think there is a better than 50% chance that Edward Joseph Manuel (or whatever his name is) is the Bills starting QB week 1 2017." I dare you. One of you say it.

Not saying that he's "franchise" yet, just saying he doesn't "suck"

Not saying that he's "franchise" yet, just saying he doesn't "suck"

2013? Did not suck. I mean he sucked in a handful of games but overall, decent enough rookie campaign. Certainly willing to give him more time.

2014? Completely sucked. Sucked in OTA's, sucked in every last practice, sucked in the preseason, game managed decently in two games and then freaking SUCKED. If you look up the word "regression" in the dictionary you would see EJ Manuel's 2014 calendar year.

Have guys bounced back after poor second seasons? Sure. That's why I haven't labeled him a bust. I've only said that I find it less than likely that he turns it around. But I encourage people to keep telling me that I am rooting against him, calling him a bust, et al.

2013? Did not suck. I mean he sucked in a handful of games but overall, decent enough rookie campaign. Certainly willing to give him more time.

2014? Completely sucked. Sucked in OTA's, sucked in every last practice, sucked in the preseason, game managed decently in two games and then freaking SUCKED. If you look up the word "regression" in the dictionary you would see EJ Manuel's 2014 calendar year.

Have guys bounced back after poor second seasons? Sure. That's why I haven't labeled him a bust. I've only said that I find it less than likely that he turns it around. But I encourage people to keep telling me that I am rooting against him, calling him a bust, et al.

If it was your call, would you have benched EJ last year or let him ride the season out?

I think there were other variables that contributed to his "sucking" in his last two games of 2014, preferably the offensive line and play calling. Metz, go back and look at the Chargers/Texans games and see how Corey Liuget and JJ Watt were hitting Manuel or had pressure in his face everytime he went to pass the football. That experiment of putting Pears at guard was another example of Doug Marrone's ineptitude. Especially after seeing game in/out that the combination of Pears and Henderson couldn't handle simple line stunts by the opposition defenses.

You do realize that this is the way of bringing along a you drafted QB....your gonna have ups and downs in QB play and your gonna have to deal with it......and if we use our 1st rounder this year (which I am a fan of) drafting another QB we will STILL have ups and downs with that QB.....in all honesty that QB probablyu shouldnt even start their first year for JUST THIS REASON

They just dont make pro ready QBs any more

You do realize that this is the way of bringing along a you drafted QB....your gonna have ups and downs in QB play and your gonna have to deal with it......and if we use our 1st rounder this year (which I am a fan of) drafting another QB we will STILL have ups and downs with that QB.....in all honesty that QB probablyu shouldnt even start their first year for JUST THIS REASON

They just dont make pro ready QBs any more

Exactly John!! Romo, Aikman, P.Manning, Rodgers, Favre, Brees etc. weren't tearing the NFL up their rookie seasons either. Yet, with decent coaching QBs like Russell Wilson, E.Manning, RG3, Kaepernick can come in and manage teams to victories

I would like one person that claims that EJ "sucked" to back it up statistically.

He didn't suck.

He had good games, bad games, and everything in between.

He was overall terrible in 2014. 2 decent showings, and two complete debacles. Stats back that up, as well as every report from the team. A complete trend down from his 2013 campaign. You'll excuse me if that doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Come on now Fire Chan......own it

Own what? I don't believe EJ will succeed? Fine. I don't.